Silencer

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Silencer

Postby LarryP on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Can you legally hunt with a silencer on a rifle or shotgun?
LarryP

Re: Silencer

Postby ex-LT on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:57 am

As of August 2015, yes, you can.

Suppressors in Minnesota
Last edited by ex-LT on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Thread hijack. Which stores do folks prefer for suppressors and why?
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:13 am

I've shot several deer with 300BO using a suppressor.

Legally.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:56 pm

I got my one and only through a local FFL in Waconia who purchased through Silencerco at lower price than buying direct through them. Would like another but at my age the wait is too long and it would just be a waste of $$ but would to the same route again.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Silencer

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:24 pm

goalie wrote:I've shot several deer with 300BO using a suppressor.

Legally.

Subsonic ammo/loads or supersonic?
gun_fan111v2

Postby goalie on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:35 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:
goalie wrote:I've shot several deer with 300BO using a suppressor.

Legally.

Subsonic ammo/loads or supersonic?
Super. It gives you pretty much 30-30 performance and sounds like a 22lr rifle since it's supersonic.

I don't want to see the deer of a lifetime presented at an angle requiring good performance at a range subsonics won't deliver.

I know people hunt with subs, I just won't ever be one of them. They are too limiting for me to use and be comfortable.

That said, I also won't use 5.56/223 anymore. Unless I drilled the shoulder, they were not DRT, and the blood trail I got (3 deer sample size, 2 ran a ways) sucked. I didn't lose a deer, but it sure wasn't as easy as one leaking from 30-30, 270, 44mag, 6.5CM or 308.

And the one I drilled the shoulder on (TTSX) was a complete loss with massive bloodshot front quarters. Speed hitting bone with a solid bullet kills like lightning, but turns meat into jelly.

I've got enough land to hunt with cool neighbors that I'd rather double-lung/heart behind the shoulder, save the meat, and track em 50 yards or so with an easy to follow blood trail.

FWIW, I shoot them at 50 yards or less most of the time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Although sub 300bo is good it seems to fail quickly with distance. Maybe for yotes but hog and deer not so much.
LarryFlew

Postby photogpat on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:09 pm

E7185411-0FBF-4E59-9819-84CBE2703F8B.jpeg

Suppressed 300BO handloaded 130gr Barnes TSX at about 80yds....just under her ear.

My 300 is my favorite MN whitetail gun ever. I generally do headshots as I hate tracking...but a properly constructed bullet into the breadbasket does it too.

I won’t hunt with subs as the expanding sub bullets are damn pricey, and the potential for a bad shot...well, I believe in making ethical kills.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Silencer

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks for your replies everybody. I have a 300blk but stuck with my 30-06. At the end, I could not get a shot off anyway at the only deer I saw this year :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby Vlad on Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:17 pm

I also hunt with the 300WTF. My dies are old enough they say 300/221 fireball. I am using 125 Ballistic tips hand loaded under a dose of VV powder. I harvested one at 125 yards with a 75 yard trail and the other was 5 yards and DRT. I LOVE this cartridge and platform. I would like a can someday but cannot justify the expense at this time.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Might use a new gun this year with a can on it......

Postby postal on Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 am

Ended up with a few rusty guns in a trade a couple years ago and among them was a model 94 Winchester made in 1971.
Never shot much so tight as a drum and pretty nice walnut on it, but fairly rusty.
Hearing of some good old boys down south threading their levergun muzzles for suppressors, I figured since it was pitted a bit it wouldnt hurt the value.....so did some research and dropped the gun off with a guy in Arlington,Texas for that work.
In a few days the front sight was shortened, barrel threaded 1/2-28 with an adaptor to 5/8 and mag tube shortened 3/4" to allow room for the thread adaptor.
Pretty darn cool looking!
Then I dropped the gun off at a friends business in Glenrock Wyoming (Doug Mosier, Glenrock Blue) who stripped it, bead blasted the gun and did a matte black oxide finish that hides most of the pitting.
He also Cerakoted the receiver antique bronze and the thing looks awesome.
Google Glenrock Blue if you need refinishing....Doug does amazing work at really decent prices!

With my .30 cal Rugged Razor suppressor on the end, the gun looks a bit front-heavy but reflects a pleasant mix of old and new tech.

Shooting it with off-the-shelf Federal 150 grainers, it reduced less than half the noise but without muffs it was tolerable.....kind of a 'delayed' thump instead of a boom.
What I didn't expect was a sizeable reduction in recoil.....maybe 30%? That surprised me as there's no recoil difference on my Rem 700 5R rifle in .308 with that can that I can detect.
Also, the factory sights are high enough to just barely peek out over the can so it's pretty accurate and quite light.

Ill take a couple pics of this new project and post them for y'all.
Fun gun.
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately" (Benjamin Franklin)

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum!
postal

Re: Might use a new gun this year with a can on it......

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:33 am

postal wrote:
Ill take a couple pics of this new project and post them for y'all.
Fun gun.

Just so you realize without those pictures the gun does not exist........................
LarryFlew

Postby BigBlue on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:05 am

I'd love to see pics of that model 94.
BigBlue

Postby warrlac on Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:46 pm

I know it is a bit far away from where you are located, but AccuTac Arms in Lakeville would be my No. 1 choice. Dillon runs one of the biggest NFA shops in the country (not just the state). He bought out all the Gander Mountain suppressor stock when they went out of the gun business. He has helped many people (including myself) sort out terrible NFA paperwork problems that were created by other dealers, not to be named here (but their initials are -- THE MODERN SPORTSMAN IN BURNSVILLE).

I purchased several silencers from Arnzen Arms, but that was in the 2015 timeframe. I can't comment about how they do things today.

Holland&Holland wrote:Thread hijack. Which stores do folks prefer for suppressors and why?
warrlac

Next

Return to Hunting