Repeal the Pittman-Robertson Act?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 pm

Not sure if I agree with this unless you can tell me that there is a lot of waste and graft associated with the money collected. Interested in your thoughts.

The landmark Pittman-Robertson Act is considered by many conservation organizations to be a “wildly successful” method of funding wildlife habitat management. It requires those who purchase guns, ammunition, and fishing equipment to pay excise taxes on this gear.

Now, a proposed bill, H.R. 8167, aims to undo this funding source that has effectively shepherded wildlife refuges and other public lands through nearly a century of conservation.
https://gearjunkie.com/news/hr-8167-return-act-pittman-robertson-repeal
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Repeal the Pittman-Robertson Act?

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Well it is government so there is by definition a ton of wasteful spending.
Holland&Holland

Postby westhope on Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:20 pm

If I remember correctly, a few years ago the MN DNR was found to be spending the money on non-approved conservation projects and ordered to cease using the money for those budgets. I do not believe they ever had to replace the monies.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby crbutler on Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:58 pm

It’s a GOP rep proposing it because they feel it’s unreasonable to tax something that is related to a constitutional right…

I don’t agree with them. Most firearms are purchased by hunters/recreational shooters and it’s a thorn in the anti’s foot that it works so well.

It’s also not a constitutional issue, otherwise pens, paper, books, and computers would not be taxable.

Typical congresscritter wasting time and effort.
crbutler

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:12 pm

The Left wants to tax guns and ammo and use the money to fund advocacy groups for banning guns. :x
Lumpy

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:23 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Well it is government so there is by definition a ton of wasteful spending.

Government by it's very nature is corruption. The larger it becomes, the more unaccountable it becomes, and the more blatant the corruption becomes.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:34 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Well it is government so there is by definition a ton of wasteful spending.

Government by it's very nature is corruption. The larger it becomes, the more unaccountable it becomes, and the more blatant the corruption becomes.

Very true.
Holland&Holland

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:20 pm

Learning new stuff here, never knew this existed
gun_fan111v2

Postby nhluke on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:50 pm

Steven Rinella (Meateater) has some interesting takes on takes on this and how he feels it strongly benefits conservation. He may not be saying it's the best possible solution but the best realistic solution within current American politics.
nhluke

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:35 pm

nhluke wrote:Steven Rinella (Meateater) has some interesting takes on takes on this and how he feels it strongly benefits conservation. He may not be saying it's the best possible solution but the best realistic solution within current American politics.

How many takes did it take to get it on tape?
Holland&Holland

Postby nhluke on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 pm

Steven talks about it a decent bit including a non scripted live talk with Joe Rogan. I haven't researched his editing process for "film". The NRA will often get a pass for the benefits they bring even if the organization is far from perfect. It's easier for me to benefits of the Pittman Robertson Act. I wouldn't describe it as perfect but I'm thankful for public lands. Other than the bare necessities it's the one thing I'm glad the US makes available.
nhluke

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:29 am

nhluke wrote:Steven talks about it a decent bit including a non scripted live talk with Joe Rogan. I haven't researched his editing process for "film". The NRA will often get a pass for the benefits they bring even if the organization is far from perfect. It's easier for me to benefits of the Pittman Robertson Act. I wouldn't describe it as perfect but I'm thankful for public lands. Other than the bare necessities it's the one thing I'm glad the US makes available.

Agreed. Sorry, just a little light humor.
Holland&Holland

Return to Hunting