Hunting land

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Hunting land

Postby fishdude on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:19 am

I've been bow hunting the past 3 years on public land and I have not had any luck. I've seen some deer and had a chance at a few fawns that I let pass, but this fall I really want to get on some private land to get a better chance.

2 questions:

* Any board members who might have some land I could lease this fall for hunting? I'm a responsible hunter and willing to follow any rules you set on your land. I am willing to pay a resonable fee and it would be just me hunting.

* Any other bow hunters that might be interested in going in on a land lease together to split the costs? Most of the land I've seen available to lease for hunting is too expensive for 1 person. With a group of 2-4 guys (depending on the size of the land) we could split the cost and still be able to hunt on land without all the pressure you get on public land.

Preferrably I am looking at Anoka or Isanti counties so it's fairly close to home, but willing to consider further.
fishdude

Re: Hunting land

Postby rugersol on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:21 am

I'd be interested in Isanti!

I've looked, too ... some of those leases are for a full year. I wouldn't mind trying bow season ... but most likely, I wouldn't be out there much. I'm looking for gun-deer ... maybe turkey ... maybe grouse.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Hunting land

Postby Retread1911 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:38 am

I am interested. I have two bow hunters in the family and while we already have one potlatch lease it is 4 hours away. I would be very interested in getting something closed to home with good sign.
Retread1911

Postby fishdude on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 pm

I have only been keeping an eye on Craigslist and other hunting lease sites right now. In a couple months I'll start looking harder.

Ruger, my #1 priority is for bow hunting land for deer, but if some land can be found where the owners are open to shooting guns, I might use it for small game, grouse, and maybe turkeys as well.
fishdude

Postby 45Badger on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:22 pm

How much do you want to pay per acre for bow rights?
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby SAM on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Good luck fishdude !! GOOD hunting land is a fortune--MOST of it is already spoken for---IF the landowner hunts, he isn't going to let anyone else on the property. Not sayin' you can't find some good land===Just Sayin'
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 pm

I let people on, but I expect work out of them for the opportunity and no one seems to want to do that. :roll:

Maybe I should change it up. I'll take a $2000 cash deposit, and pay you $10/hr for all your efforts.
FJ540

Postby rugersol on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 am

FJ540 wrote:I'll take a $2000 cash deposit, and pay you $10/hr for all your efforts.

Did you buy a cotton plantation?! :shock:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby FJ540 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:51 pm

No, but that land cost's me $6K a year in interest. If you want to hunt on it, you're gonna work.
FJ540

Postby rugersol on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:55 am

FJ540 wrote:No, but that land cost's me $6K a year in interest. If you want to hunt on it, you're gonna work.

I think I'll jest buy some land with only $2K/yr interest ... and hire someone else at $20/hr! :mrgreen: ... what do they do, BTW?! :|
rugersol

Postby FJ540 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 pm

I have people clear trees and make brush piles. The ones who've shown up anyway.

I put 30% down, and have a 4.5% note. Unless you plan on paying that interest for the next 30yrs, that land will either be a postage stamp, or several hours away. ;)

I'm two hours north.
FJ540

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:06 am

Any one know where I could locate some reasonably priced land to deer and possibly Turkey hunt? I'm disabled with limited walking ability. I would like to setup a popup blind and put my wheelchair in it to sit in. I would need somewhere that I could get rather close with my truck (short easy walk) or where someone could drop me off at it and then pick me up after the hunt.

I haven't deer hunted since 1999 when I was injured. I get really down every year when bow, then rifle season opens, because I know I may NEVER hunt again. I have a Crossbow, for archery, Either a Shotgun with Slug barrel, or 30/06 rifles.[b] I prefer to use rifle during gun season [b] but at this point, I'll use a sling shot if necessary. I never leave anything on the property and respect it fully. I still haven't figured out how I'll get a deer into the back of my truck, should I harvest one, but I'll cross that bridge when/if that time comes. I'm willing to help landowner any way I physically can, or other ways they find suitable. I always try to bring out More than what I went IN with no trash left EVER. I have no hunting buddies up here so I'll most likely be hunting alone, unless my wife shows an interest (I highly Doubt) . So, if you are looking for a hunting Partner/Friend Please drop me a line, I'm ready to go just about ANY day during the season. Before my accident, I hunted two leases in GA and often hunted either Before or After work nearly everyday (depending on my shift) and was at our camp every Friday-Sunday from Late August thru Jan. 10th or so (GA Deer Season) and then lots during Turkey season.

If you know of a possibility, please PM or email the info to me. I need it within 1.5 and 2.5 hrs. of Edina.

Thank you,

Jim
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby spyder357 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am

Hunting is just getting crazy expensive. South Dakota pheasant hunting is the same way. Used to be (all of 10+ years ago) that you could go door to door and have a reasonable chance of walking some land.

This year, went 0 for 14 on getting access to land. Talked to several people living out in the sticks who didn't own land and the neighbor farmers wouldn't even let them hunt a few birds without paying hundreds of dollars. I blame leases for causing this issue, every year I see more and more outfits that lease land and basically keep all non paying (and low paying) hunters off the land. I see the same thing with deer hunting in Minnesota, I know several guys who've had places they've hunted for years booted off because someone else can pay (much) more.

I cant say I blame land owners, if they can get the money for it good for them. Its there land to make a living from. It is however, turning hunting into a rich mans sport.
spyder357

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Yet I get scoffed at when I refuse payment and expect work instead. I don't want the money, I want people to feel connected to the land and respect what being a steward of it means. If you don't care enough to devote time to improving the habitat for the quarry, you don't deserve to take them.

It may sound like I'm complaining but I'm not - I like being the only one hunting my place.
FJ540

Re: Re: Hunting land

Postby brauchma on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:31 pm

FJ540 wrote:Yet I get scoffed at when I refuse payment and expect work instead. I don't want the money, I want people to feel connected to the land and respect what being a steward of it means. If you don't care enough to devote time to improving the habitat for the quarry, you don't deserve to take them.

It may sound like I'm complaining but I'm not - I like being the only one hunting my place.

I like it! That is what my dad and I do on a nice big chunk of land. Friends come out to fix deer stands...etc. They bring food for the hunting weekend.
"Owning a gun doesn't make one a gunfighter any more that owning a Stradivarius violin makes one a concert violinist" - Col. Jeff Cooper

I think the gene pool needs more chlorine
brauchma

Next

Return to Hunting