What gauge, choke & shot for pheasant?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: What gauge, choke & shot for pheasant?

Postby cobb on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:53 am

farmerj wrote:this year, you're likely to need more than just a shotgun to get a pheasant....

They are scarce....haven't seen any around here yet.

Did OK on Saturday, but a bit strange when I think about it. Saw 8 roosters and one hen, which seems strange, or is because the roosters are that much hardier and survived last winter better than the hens? Did manage to bring 3 home between two of us on Saturday which was much better than I expected.

Belgiboy wrote: I did get a couple of boxes of the Prairie Storm #5 to try out in ND next week so I'm pretty curious about those.

I also have a box but have not shot anything with them. After I bought a box, I read all of these reports that even with an IC choke the Prairie Storm are tearing the birds up badly. So I will be interested in your thoughts after you have used them on a few birds yourself.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby EJSG19 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:01 am

Prairie Storm stuff looks pretty aggressive. Although not necessarily a bad thing.

I've recovered roosters several times and found the shot all in a tight group (3-4 inches at most), and has barely penetrated the skin just enough to hold the shot from falling off. (pretty sure this was due to **** ammo, and at the time I got what I paid for.)

The "flying saucer" pellets look like they'd do the job. Most likely not real gentle at point blank range however.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby smurfman on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:41 am

cobb wrote:Did OK on Saturday, but a bit strange when I think about it. Saw 8 roosters and one hen, which seems strange, or is because the roosters are that much hardier and survived last winter better than the hens? Did manage to bring 3 home between two of us on Saturday which was much better than I expected.

Roosters have a much higher survival rate than hens, being bigger and more aggressive they tend to push hens out of the best available cover and into less desireable if push comes to shove. I seem to recall info from the Super Bowl blizzard (1976?) that hens can make up 80% of the mortality in bad weather years. That is why winter cover is so important , enough of it gives hens a better chance to make it through the winter. It is also a reason I concentrate heavily on pheasants once the deer season is past. At least that is the one I use... SAVE THE HENS!!!!
smurfman

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:31 pm

12ga, I/C choke and 4 shot.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Just came back from ND. Definately less birds around than what we're used to. We had to make every shot count in order to come home with our limit in the evening, cover more ground and not lose any birds after the shot. There were not too many young, stupid roosters around due to the poor nesting conditions in the wet spring. In addition, there were less CRP fields so we ended up walking more fence lines and heavy brush. I must admit that in these tougher conditions, the Prairie Storm shells really impressed me. Are they harsher than the normal fodder? Absolutely, they are loud and kick you hard. Even with a fairly heavy gas gun like the Browning Gold, the difference was noticeable. Birds that were shot with the Prairie Storm dropped and stayed where they were, often times because one of their extremities was blown off clean. Even long range, hail Mary shots often paid off because of the heavier payload in these shells. The pic is of two birds that were shot at relatively short range (approx. 20 yards) with the Browning which was choked M. Left one was shot with the Prairie Storm 2 3/4 #5 and its head came off in mid flight. The right was shot with Fiocchi copper plated #6, he looks like he could be sleeping. I could however not see any difference after cleaning the birds. The quality of the meat did not seem affected at all.

So after day one, I started using the Prairie Storm almost exclusively. I ended up shooting about a box these in three days. $17 worth of shells in three days is not too expensive all things considered. Don't use them in your pre-1918 damascus barreled side-by-side...
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby grousemaster on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:54 pm

#4 shot Federal Premium (prairie storm or wing shok). If I have to use steel I roll with some #2 shot....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby cobb on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:20 am

Used a modified choke with a load of 5's this past weekend, kind tore the bird up. I am going back to an IC choke, but maybe stay with the 5's. I personally think that full choke it way too much choke, but some people swear by them. I was told this past weekend by a gentleman that uses a full choke, he wants the tight choke to make head shots on the pheasants, then no pellets in the breast meat.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:35 am

I started with a .410 full choke, single shot bolt action - it worked great!
My dad then bought me my own, a Winchester 20 gauge pump action w/modified choke - it worked great!
Now I use an o/u 12 gauge, modified on the bottom, improved modified up top - it works great!

My Dad has always used his 16 gauge auto, thing is a tank - but it's all he'll ever use.

My conclusion: It's not so much what you shoot, but how you shoot.
Thunder71

Postby Bulldawg on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:55 am

I use a 12ga with IC and #6 shot...Worked great last weekend, got all that we shot at with little damage to the meat. I just wish the birds weren't holding so tight.
Bulldawg

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 am

No choke, 00 buck shot will take down the biggest of birds. Just don't take a questionable shot. :mrgreen: :twisted:

Actually most of my hunting has been with full choke 12g. Anything from 4 to 7 will take them down.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby cobb on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Thunder71 wrote:My conclusion: It's not so much what you shoot, but how you shoot.

I agree, that goes to my misunderstanding of why people would use a full choke. A person that is good with a shotgun would puree their birds if they used a full choked 12 gauge. If you have ever seen Tom Knapp shoot, the shots he does in his shows just smoke the clays and when he is shooting multiple clays he has to use a tight choke so he doesn't break other clays in the air. But from what I read he thinks an IC choke is better for upland birds, if Tom used a full choke, the dogs would probably have a hard time bringing the spaghetti back.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby mjbreuer on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:45 am

I have been using Prairie Storm #5 exclusively for the last couple of years...

In my pump I run F, and in my O/U I run M/IC. I almost prefer my pump for sharpies, as most shots are lengthy. They don't hold and fly straight up like a rooster...
mjbreuer

Postby lenny7 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 am

In my Winchester 1200 I use a modified choke with #5 Federal Premium Wing-Shok for our November trip and the same shell in a #4 for our December trip.

I've tried the Fiocci Golden Pheasant but have a hell of a time getting them to eject out of my shotgun. My brother had the same problem in his Winchester, but they shot fine in my Dad's Browning.
lenny7

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:17 pm

12 Ga 3" with improved Modified and #4 Nickle plated shot. I have used 3" magnums in #2 also. I don't believe in under powering. If I hit the bird, I want penetration, damage and death. "I don't like having to rely on dogs to track birds - they are retievers not blood hounds." - Attributed to a buddy of mine's Dad - crusty old farmer from Madison, MN with more time in the field than anyone I ever met - smart guy - knew how to run the fields with the correct wind, driving to cover, where they would pile up and where they wouldn't - learned alot from him.

We have done well in Minnesota for Pheasant this year. About on par with other years. I think the fact that many did not go hunting because of the reports maybe helped us out. We did not see as many other parties out this year. Lots of immature second hatch maies that fooled the first guy but as they came down the line would be identified and dropped.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Lunchbox on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:50 pm

I've done pretty good using my Remington 11-48, modified choke, 2 3/4 #4 shot. I know I'm on of the few that don't have a gun that will accept 3in, can't really bring myself to replace it.

Sadly it's been a couple of years since I've made it out, but I've always manage to bring birds home.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Previous

Return to Hunting