Abolish Slug Zone Label

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Abolish Slug Zone Label

Postby Rem700 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 am

Either open it to rifle accross the state or leave it as is, We dont need no Indiana rules or anyone elses as far as that goes. Indiana rules take one step forward and one step back. This is Mn.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby shooter115 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 am

rugersol wrote:
shooter115 wrote:Those are actually the old regs. Here's what's current. Go to page 58http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/hunting/2011/full_regs.pdf

1st pages says "2011 - 2012" ... ya know they're fer Indiana, right? ... or were ya talkin' to someone else? :?

Sorry missed the Indiana part, I din't look at your link. That is very similar to how the laws in MN used read out too before they changed them. At least as far as legal handgun cartridges go.
Last edited by shooter115 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
shooter115

Postby rugersol on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:19 am

Rem700 wrote:Either open it to rifle accross the state or leave it as is, We dont need no Indiana rules or anyone elses as far as that goes. Indiana rules take one step forward and one step back. This is Mn.

Baby steps, J.R. ... baby steps. ;)

In case anyone else is otherwise unaware, IIRC, prior to a few years back, all of Indiana was a "slug zone".
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:21 am

shooter115 wrote:That is very similar to how the laws in MN used read out too before they changed them.

I remember when they called out the various calibers ... that was only a couple years ago ... but in the 20yr+ I've lived in this state (previously WI), I don't recall pistol-caliber (or any other) type of rifle being allowed in the "slug zone" (muzzle-loaders, not withstanding ... are they?).

edit: looks like I replied prior to you editing yer post ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby Rem700 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 am

Muzzle loaders are legal in the slug zone, Never kept up with it but wasnt there smokless muzzle loaders that shot something like 30 or 35 caliber bullets in the 2800fps range think they may have been made by Savage?
I have been know to hunt the southern zone with slug, muzzle loader, 44mag and 7mm08 all depends on how I am feeling that particular season.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby h2opumper on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 am

I wouldn't want to see the 243 in a handgun be excluded, leave the current handgun regulations as they are. This would just "step" I'd like to see taken would only address long guns. It would be a step towards statewide all legal firearms my hopes would be. The metro counties may be tough to accept that ruling and would probably remain a slug zone my guess would be. I could see a problem with road hunters taking that long shot half way across a section.

All we can do is write our congressman and plead our case for what we would like. Maybe something can come to being at least somewhere in the middle.
h2opumper

Postby Rem700 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

What would prevent a road hunter from trying to take a shot half way across that same section with a slug? :roll:
I know I know but you get my point I hope.
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby rugersol on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 am

h2opumper wrote:I wouldn't want to see the 243 in a handgun be excluded

If yer referring to the Indiana regs I posted, the way I read that was, "in a handgun, bullets must be minimum .243 dia".

That would still eliminate .223 pistols.

Regardless, I didn't post the Indiana regs as a "whole hog" solution. Maybe I shouldn't've posted their handgun regs, at all ... it was jest FYI.

The point was, this was a "slug zone", that changed to allow "pistol-caliber" rifles. If they can do it, we can do it.

What follows? ... who knows ...

edit: as has been pointed out, with 20ga sabots otherwise being legal, forcing a new hunter to purchase such a gun, vs. a lever-action .357 'er .44 they otherwise already own, is ridiculous :roll:
rugersol

Postby Rem700 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:54 am

Rifle-Shotgun Boundary
In the shotgun zone (see map on the back of the large, deer zone
map, available separately), deer hunters may use only legal shotguns
loaded with single-slug shotgun shells, legal muzzleloading long guns,
or legal handguns.

Is a sabot actually considered a shotgun slug?
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby Rem700 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:58 am

Answered my own ?

Saboted slugsSaboted slugs are lead-cored, full copper-jacketed or solid copper projectiles supported by a plastic sabot, which is designed to engage the rifling in a rifled shotgun barrel and impart a ballistic spin onto the projectile. This differentiates them from traditional slugs, which are not designed to benefit from a rifled barrel (though neither does the other any damage). They can take the usual variety of shapes, but for maximum accuracy are typically ogive. The slugs are generally significantly smaller than the bore diameter, increasing the ballistic coefficient, and use the sabot to seal the bore and keep the slug centered in the bore while it rotates with the rifling. Saboted slugs, when fired out of a rifled barrel, are generally far more accurate than non-jacketed slugs out of a smoothbore, with accuracy to 300 metres (330 yd) approaching that of low-velocity rifle calibers. By 1984 "Ballistic Research Industries" was producing a 440-grain (29 g) .50 caliber sabot slug of a new design. The projectile was a wasp waisted hourglass shape made of a hard lead alloy. This sabot slug was not designed for rifled barrels, the self stabilizing shape allowed it to be used with bore cylinder or improved cylinder barrels.[1][2]
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby Rem700 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 am

With all the newer ammo firearm technology I wonder howmany lawmakers take this into consideration when passing new laws or ammending old ones? Not many would be my guess :( :shock:
Most of these laws where past useing the old 12ga and lead slugs and when a 44mag was considered the average hunting pistol, Not the newer saboted ammo and pistols chambered for rifle rounds. So does one try to enlighten the law makers or try and keep them in the dark and run under the radar? Emotion or facts remember these are politicians and most everything in the past has been based on emotion feel good laws.
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Rem700 wrote:With all the newer ammo firearm technology I wonder howmany lawmakers take this into consideration when passing new laws or ammending old ones? Not many would be my guess :( :shock:
Most of these laws where past useing the old 12ga and lead slugs and when a 44mag was considered the average hunting pistol, Not the newer saboted ammo and pistols chambered for rifle rounds. So does one try to enlighten the law makers or try and keep them in the dark and run under the radar? Emotion or facts remember these are politicians and most everything in the past has been based on emotion feel good laws.

Do the lawmakers decide this, or did they authorize the DNR to make those decisions?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby 45Badger on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Rather than the current line across the state, they could have "slug only" zones around major metro areas, and rifles everywhere else?

Only been hunting here two years, but have seen ten years worth of bozos with guns that empty a 10 round mag call it "hunting". There's nothing smart or ethical about that and as long as those mouth-breathers are allowed to hunt, we will have trouble getting more land open to rifle hunting.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby goett047 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:25 pm

I don't see it as running under the radar. Anything is allowed unless its specifically prohibited. We still live in a free country
goett047

Postby traveler on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Rem700 wrote:Saboted slugs, when fired out of a rifled barrel, are generally far more accurate than non-jacketed slugs out of a smoothbore, with accuracy to 300 metres (330 yd) approaching that of low-velocity rifle calibers.

From a shotgun? You would have to position it like a mortar to get 300 yards, wouldn't you? :?
Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
traveler

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting