Wolf hunting in the US.

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Wolf hunting in the US.

Postby Sipowicz on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:34 am

Wolves are fascinating creatures, are barely off the endangered list, and people already want to start taking 25% of them out. I'm not suggesting there shouldn't be some control measures, but for the love of nature wouldn't it be a bit more wise to learn and understand the creatures? I've read numerous books of researchers studying in the field as well as literally interacting with them.

What's the purpose of hunting them? I've never heard of anyone eating wolf. Humans are the only creatures on earth that kill for the fun of it. Every other living thing kills for survival, either as a defense or for food. As much as comics sometimes mock it, I don't believe there are any animals that have human heads or complete carcasses mounted in their dens.

Like I said, I'm not vehemently opposed to population control, but there has got to be far more humane ways then aerial hunting, which though illegal is still happening in Alaska.

Also as has been mentioned, they are opportunistic hunters, picking off the weak prey, leaving the stronger animals for human hunting.

I realize I arguably sound like a liberal tree hugger, but generally I am not, though wolves have been an interest of mine for quite some time and is a sensitive topic having read and seen many of the things wolves have had to endure.
I'm just a freedom fighter; No remorse. Raging on in holy war. Soon there'll come a day When you're face to face with me. ~ Creed
Sipowicz

Postby cobb on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Sipowicz wrote:Humans are the only creatures on earth that kill for the fun of it. Every other living thing kills for survival, either as a defense or for food.

We are talking about wolves and they will do exactly that, they have killed for the enjoyment or the excitement of it, this has been reported several times.

LarryFlew wrote:Wolves typically cull the weak etc which strengthens our deer herds genetics.

No, a wolf will kill a fully grown and healthy moose if they have the opportunity to do so.

These are the arguments that I hear from the anti hunting crowd. Even though these has been proven inaccurate, it is still put out there just like the BS about people that have guns in their home or carrying them make things more unsafe.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby DeanC on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:08 pm

cobb wrote:We are talking about wolves and they will do exactly that, they have killed for the enjoyment or the excitement of it, this has been reported several times.

Minnesotan Gary Paulsen, who wrote Hatchet, explains this in horrific detail in his book Woodsong.

Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:36 pm

plblark wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:I mean as far as a hunting percentage and this thread we are not talking about wolf management but rather wolf hunting.

Hunting is one of the most effective tools of population and game conservation there is. Hunting fees support conservation and habitat efforts and the culling of the population is very carefully controlled.

So tell us something we didn't already know. The comment was that this thread is NOT about a management program where hunters are sent in to cull the pack etc, it is a thread on hunting seasons in various states.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby mnmike59 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:45 pm

The Wolf population has ALL but depleted the population of Elk in Idaho Where I use to hunt. This was a place where Wolf and Elk lived in the same place and now is ALL Wolf. (and mountain lion) Two years ago I was there scanning the clearings and all I could here was the Wolf packs howling at each other. Unless the population is depleted, there will be NO Elk in that area.
It really sucks because it's very obvious the Wolf population is out of control! I don't want to see the Wolf on the endangered list, But I also don't want to see My hunting disappear. I now go elsewhere and I'm seeing the Wolf population growing in Colorado now also.

:evil:
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby cobb on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 pm

So I would guess that most here believe that the wolf population should be manage as other species have been at a state level.

Yes or no???
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 pm

We watched a large pack (20-25) surround, ambush and kill close to 100 deer in a herd

really??
LarryFlew

Postby Rem700 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:56 pm

cobb wrote:So I would guess that most here believe that the wolf population should be manage as other species have been at a state level.

Yes or no???

Yes
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby cobb on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:06 pm

LarryFlew wrote:We watched a large pack (20-25) surround, ambush and kill close to 100 deer in a herd

really??

Do you know what the term of herding or yarding up means when people are talking about deer in the winter time?

So yes, I would say really..........

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Yes...........besides they are better tasting than Coyotes and make great coats............... :didntdoit:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Rem700 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Rem700 wrote:
cobb wrote:So I would guess that most here believe that the wolf population should be manage as other species have been at a state level.

Yes or no???

Yes

My preferred method of management at the state level would be to pay me a bounty to control there numbers, :D
As I see fit. :twisted:
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby ttousi on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:25 am

We need a Wolf Czar..............call Barry 8-)
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 am

cobb wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:We watched a large pack (20-25) surround, ambush and kill close to 100 deer in a herd

really??

Do you know what the term of herding or yarding up means when people are talking about deer in the winter time?

So yes, I would say really..........

In Winter wolves disperse to find mates etc so that is the time that packs are at their smallest. 20 or 25 in a pack would be unusual at the peak of the pack size even in Canada and/or Alaska let alone Minnesota. Few packs ever reach that size. 25 wolves killing 100 deer even when they are yarding would seem to be nearly impossible unless they where staked in place. It takes appox 3-4 wolves to kill one deer with take down etc which means that size of pack would be taking down about 5 deer at a time. Lets say the chase, take down and kill take 3 minutes. For them to take down 20 times that would take an hour and the deer would have to wait in line.

HOWEVER, if the pack were to be that large in Winter they would likely need that kind of food supply in which case they are not necessarily killing just to be killing and would feed for a long time on those kills.
LarryFlew

Postby Rem700 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:18 am

[quote="LarryFlew"]Minnesota wolf population is 2nd only to Alaska. With an estimate near 3000 our population is large. Estimate is nearly double the goal to get them off of the list.
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby mnmike59 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:23 am

Yes or no???

YES
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting