does anyone deer or bear hunt with a AR?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: does anyone deer or bear hunt with a AR?

Postby cobb on Wed May 29, 2013 11:43 am

dubya wrote:Re: does anyone deer or bear hunt with a AR?

Yes, an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC or .458 SOCOM. I also have an AR-10 in .308 but prefer the smaller compact AR-15 when hunting deer in northern Minnesota.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby dubya on Wed May 29, 2013 5:33 pm

I'll be going to sight in my new 6.8 AR build on Friday. Just got my Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 in the mail today, I'm hoping I can find a different barrel soon though. I have carbine gas and want mid length gas..
dubya

does anyone deer or bear hunt with a AR?

Postby PhilaBOR on Wed May 29, 2013 5:46 pm

I've been hunting a few years with an AR 10 clone and never had anyone complain about my evil camouflage rifle.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby CarryCauseICan on Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

I had the opportunity to hunt with an AR in .223 last year. On state land. Was a little wary about what other hunters would think, but everyone that came across my path on the logging road had nothing bad to say. Rather, they were eager to tell me a story about theirs or some else's who had built one. All Positive feedback, even from the DNR that checked me. Was very enjoyable to hunt with. Really liked it, especially when you here the wolves howling nearby! :shock:
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed May 29, 2013 7:40 pm

The real question is who cares if it's socially acceptable?
Really, as long as I feel something is morally acceptable, it doesn't really matter to me what others think.

Quite frankly, a .22lr will do the job just as well as that .50bmg - If you place the shot right. Though, in the case of a .22lr legality comes into play. I generally try to follow the law, even when I don't agree with it.

Just tell 'em if it's good enough for prey that shoots back, it ought to be good enough for deer.
Those same folks, who frown on the AR, will frown on the SKS too - And only God knows how many deer have been taken with an SKS.

Some folks just gotta get with the times.

As far as deer running off - Just as in self defense, it doesn't matter what caliber you hit 'em with. They're either gonna go into shock, and die that way - Or they're gonna keep going until they bleed out and their brain slowly dies and the signals to the muscles cease. The only other possibility is that you get a brain/spinal shot in which the nervous system is disabled.

Humane shots? How long can an animal live without oxygen? While, it differs from species to species, the facts are the same - Just because oxygen supply is cut off does not mean the animal will die instantly. Heart, lungs, liver, heavy blood loss - All of these lead to a quick and rapid loss of blood pressure depriving the muscles of oxygen - Quicker, but still not instant death.

I've yet to hunt with my AR - But simply because I just haven't bought anything but fmj for it.
But the M14s is a regular in the stand - Sks, Ak, Mosin, M1 carbine; who cares? Extra full cap mags/strippers just in case; who cares what others think?

Psst... Anyone who thinks that the anti's aren't horrified by the average Joe out hunting, as much as they are the military rifles, is a fool.
It won't ruin hunting, but it might help Modern Sporting Rifles become more mainstream.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 29, 2013 8:53 pm

old guy wrote:
goalie wrote:Deer are easy to kill. EASY.

Ya just gotta shoot 'em where it counts.

FWIW, I don't take shots I can't make or shots that might not anchor the deer. Ever. There are a few angles I would shoot a deer with my .308 or .270 that I would not take with a .223.

I've never had to shoot a deer twice with a bow, shotgun, .44mag handgun, .223, .270, 30-30, or .308. The longest I had a deer run was with the .270 on a large (>200 pounds dressed) buck that was shot through the heart and far shoulder bone. He went over 200 yards with an impressive blood trail.

For those who have not seen what the all-copper solids will do out of a small-caliber rifle on medium game like deer, well, you would be surprised. I know I was. Speed and a tough bullet = DRT.

You'r pointing out just what Ive found, you shot that one right on the button but he still went 200 yds, I saw one hit like that with an 30-06 go 500yds, the big ones are harder to kill.

John

Um, ya, you are doing it wrong.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Hunting