DEAD OR ALIVE????

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: DEAD OR ALIVE????

Postby goalie on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:27 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
What he didn't tell you is that he dropped out of the tree, and took them all with his hunting knife while riding the back of the buck.

While mildly impressive, if true, he would definitely be OFF my fantasy "rattle-battle" highpower team.

:P
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby monschman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
goalie wrote:
monschman wrote:got six of em on sunday morning just off the west savanna river, five does and an eight point buck. Heard them running through the ridge and they all neatly ran past me and dropped one by one. I got my limit and my buddys second deer in a space of thirty seconds,

I have to ask how far away from you were they? Six one-shot kills on running deer in half-a-minute is nuts. If you did it at 100+ yards, I am officially calling dibs on you for any future "rattle-battle" highpower matches.....

:mrgreen:

What he didn't tell you is that he dropped out of the tree, and took them all with his hunting knife while riding the back of the buck.

how did you know?

no seriously i got six, distance was about 25 yds to 40 yds. i was on a ground stand at the base of a tree overlooking a deertrail going down to waters edge. they ran up the ridge and right past me one by one. I shot the last one first and they took off the other way, towards the guy with the AR (alas on loan from amother hunter buddy) and got taken out one by one. Both of my partners were in the woods across the woods and witnessed the whole event. Ammo used and one I feel I must recommend was Hornady 223 Rem 55 Gr V-max moly. I was using a Bushmaster Predator, topped with Leupold vx-II, it sounds better than it actually was but still, six easy shoots at minimal range, hey gives me and two others almost 350lbs of meat in our collective freezers. Meat is expensive, and alimony costs a lot too!!!!
monschman

Postby nyffman on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:03 am

and alimony costs a lot too!!!!
Ain't that the truth! I'm going to make deer hunting a priority next year. I already have kind of a plan! 8-)
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby ex-LT on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:39 am

ttousi wrote:
MNNavy wrote:They were still alive when I left a week ago, but I got an email from my mom this morning......

My dad shot a 6-pointer on Sunday morning OUT OF MY STAND. This is the third consecutive year he's shot a buck out of my stand. Hopefully, there'll be another one out there next weekend.

Welcome mnnavy...........

ha! another squid.............got the grunts outnumbered now ...2 of us agin half a dozen of them

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You couldn't outnumber/outwit a half-dozen grunts on your own? I realize one of them is a gunny, but unles they're all gunnies it shouldn't even be a contest.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby ex-LT on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:43 am

hammAR wrote:
monschman wrote:
ttousi wrote:Welcome mnnavy...........

ha! another squid.............got the grunts outnumbered now ...2 of us agin half a dozen of them

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

half a dozen and one..... :mrgreen:

...now the squids will have problems,
they will have to cut their breaks in half just to keep up with the extra washing, cooking, and cleaning.......... :booyah:

Easy there gunny. I don't do KP. I was an EDJOOKATED squid (ie: an officer).
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby goalie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:08 pm

You squids do realize that we are in the Department of the Navy just like you, right?

I mean, sure, we're the MEN'S department...............
goalie

Postby lenny7 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:46 pm

I hunted Thursday-Sunday of last week in 214 on state land. Of our group of 3 hunters, I was the only one to see any (5) or shoot any (1). It was an average doe. I almost shot the yearling with her but I just never had a clean shot so I let it go. We're meat hunters and not horn hunters. While I would like to shoot a big buck, I don't really care how big the rack is unless someone comes up with a good recipe for it.

This year I used a climbing stand for the first time. I have a Summit Goliath and I absolutely love it. It is very comfortable and I got plenty of sleep last weekend.
In fact on Friday, I never got out of my stand until after shooting hours were over.

Time to get back to hunting pheasant again.

lenny7

Postby goalie on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:25 pm

lenny7 wrote: I have a Summit Goliath and I absolutely love it. It is very comfortable and I got plenty of sleep last weekend.

I have a Summit Viper. It works great for both bow and rifle hunting.
goalie

Postby hammAR on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:35 pm

MNNavy wrote:Easy there gunny. I don't do KP. I was an EDJOOKATED squid (ie: an officer).

...that just means that you stood around drinking coffee and watching........
then bitched at the little squids afterwards for not getting our hospital corners correct, sir.......... :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby ex-LT on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:45 pm

hammAR wrote:
MNNavy wrote:Easy there gunny. I don't do KP. I was an EDJOOKATED squid (ie: an officer).

then bitched at the little squids afterwards for not getting our hospital corners correct, sir.......... :cheers:

Not me. I've never been a coffee drinker. If you ever want to pi$$ of a chief petty officer, wash his coffee cup....
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby jac714 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:40 pm

MNNavy wrote:
hammAR wrote:

Not me. I've never been a coffee drinker. If you ever want to pi$$ of a chief petty officer, wash his coffee cup....

That would certainly do it.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby ttousi on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:54 pm

hey chief............where have you been? hammAR scare you off? :lol:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby jac714 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 pm

ttousi wrote:hey chief............where have you been? hammAR scare you off? :lol:

Not likely :D

I have been busier than the proverbial one legged man.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby monschman on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:17 pm

jac714 wrote:
ttousi wrote:hey chief............where have you been? hammAR scare you off? :lol:

Not likely :D

I thought it was a three peckered billy goat,
monschman

Postby nyffman on Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:29 am

Not likely

You mean the one in the ass kicking contest? I hope you won. :D
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting