Huge, 658 pound black bear shot by Wisconsin school teacher

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Huge, 658 pound black bear shot by Wisconsin school teacher

Postby Pred on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:00 pm

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... c:_Yyc:aUU

What will probably be the largest black bear shot either in Minnesota or Wisconsin this fall was taken last weekend by Rhonda Anderson of Sarona, Wis., a fourth-grade school teacher. The animal weighed 658 pounds live weight, 564 dressed.

Anderson was in a four-person party that included her husband, Brian. They were hunting behind three Walker hounds and a Plott hound when the youngest canine in the bunch, a mere 6 months old, got on the hot trail of the big bear, finding it in a corn field while the hunters and other dogs took a break.

"We really just let the young dog out to stretch his legs,'' said Cody Fankhauser of Cumberland, Wis. Also in the group was Rich Einum of Rice Lake, Wis.

Each is an avid bear hunter, and has chased bruins many times in past years. But this is the biggest bear they've encountered.

Anderson's bear green-scored 21 10/16 at a taxidermist on Monday (scorers don't reduce the fractions). The Wisconsin state record is 22 12/16. That bear was taken in 2002 in Washburn County.

Anderson's bear was shot in Barron County, in the general vicinity of Cumberland.

The Wisconsin DNR doesn't keep records of bears or other animals taken by hunters. But Linda Olver of the agency said Monday that wildlife managers rarely see bears in Wisconsin that field-dress over 500 pounds.

A bear reportedly weighing about 700 pounds was killed by a farmers' combine last fall near Menomonie, Wis. But later investigation found that the animal had been shot and wounded illegally by an unknown poacher before it was hit by the combine.

Though black bears are abundant in Wisconsin — the state issued 57 percent more permits this fall, for a total of 7,310 — hunting so far has been slow, Fankhauser said.

"It's been too dry and hot,'' he said.

Wisconsin alternates between letting bear hunters with dogs enjoy the first week of the season, with those who prefer to sit in stands over bait. This year when the season opened Sept. 9, the dog hunters had first crack. Next year, hunters who sit over bait will get to hunt the first week without dog hunters also being in the field.

After the dogs picked up the bear's scent, they ran the animal into and beyond a small lake, where it climbed a tree.

"I've never seen a bear that big climb a tree,'' Fankhauser said.

Anderson shot the bear through the neck, killing it instantly.

The hunters then dragged it to a nearby stream, and floated it about a quarter-mile to a road and their awaiting pickup truck.

Bear hunters in Wisconsin are required to register their kills. When they do a tooth is extracted to determine the animal's age.

Olver said she doubts the bear will be found to be real old because old bears have difficulty keeping weight on. Genetics and the quality of available food would determine the bear's size, she said.

Anderson is having a full mount done of her trophy bear.

"We've been running our dogs, training them since mid-July,'' she said. "My husband has shot bears before, but I never have.''

Anderson added, "I'll have something to tell my students.''
Pred

Re: Huge, 658 pound black bear shot by Wisconsin school teacher

Postby nyffman on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:44 am

It is great beyond belief to hear of a school teacher who is not afraid to admit, in public that they enjoy hunting. The fact that it is a woman and an elementry ed teacher, is today's ray of hope. :D
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby mnglocker on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:29 am

nyffman wrote:It is great beyond belief to hear of a school teacher who is not afraid to admit, in public that they enjoy hunting. The fact that it is a woman and an elementry ed teacher, is today's ray of hope. :D

Wait till they serve up Bear Stew at the skrool caffeteria. 8-)
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby DeanC on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:15 am

Should have speared it.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 40KING on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:02 am

DeanC wrote:Should have speared it.
:lol: :lol:

Chasing it up a tree with dogs, only to shoot it with a gun is a close second.

I am sure the neck shot was to keep meat damage to a min.
40KING

Postby nyffman on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:45 am

mnglocker wrote:Wait till they serve up Bear Stew at the skrool caffeteria. 8-)

Don't laugh. School budgets are tight these days. :lol:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby mnglocker on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:27 am

nyffman wrote:
mnglocker wrote:Wait till they serve up Bear Stew at the skrool caffeteria. 8-)

Don't laugh. School budgets are tight these days. :lol:

It's Wisconsin, this is some serious ****.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Rem700 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:33 pm

40KING wrote:
DeanC wrote:Should have speared it.
:lol: :lol:

Chasing it up a tree with dogs, only to shoot it with a gun is a close second.

I am sure the neck shot was to keep meat damage to a min.

Actually the neck shot is to get an instant kill seeing as you are standing under the tree when the bear comes out and to prevent the skull from being damged thus preventing scoreing. Treeing a bear of this size is unusual generally they bay up on the ground and one has the pleasure of harvesting at bad breath distances. Maybe you should try it.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby DeanC on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 am

Rem700 wrote:Maybe you should try it.

With a spear.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 40KING on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:52 am

Rem-

As you have figured ,I have never done this. I had no idea about the neck shot, I have just heard people say things like this when they ment to shoot animals in the heart, and a lucky shot droped the animal. Dont get me wrong, I hunt and I think anyone should be able to take game any legal way they see fit. I just dont choose to do it. I am not saying there is no skill or danger involved. A 658 pound black bear is one big a** bear, I cant imigiane what I would do if I had one pissed off and backed into a corner... But... if I had a spear? ;)
40KING

Return to Hunting