What firearm are you using for deer opener?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: What firearm are you using for deer opener?

Postby monschman on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 pm

hammAR wrote:
monschman wrote:............easier to shoot rapidly versus trying to manipulate a bolt in possible very cold weather, lighter, oh and lots cheaper to shoot.

....Mr. prepared........have you looked at the weather forecast........... :doh:

i just did, just now, but i still think a lever makes for easier manipulation overall, besides, its easier to hold onto a beer and smoke whilst using a lever than a bolt :o just kiddingcuz i can have a hand free :lol:

oh and just cuz the pretty blond girl in the tight sweater on tv says its going to be in the fifties doesn't mean i wont have on something that will be capable of dealing with something 40degrees either side of that
monschman

Postby The_real_ozman on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 pm

After reading in the paper last week that i can use my DPMS Panther Ap4 in 223 i thought i would get some black hills hollow points and go out into the woods.
I read other people's emails
The_real_ozman

Postby cobb on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:47 pm

The_real_ozman wrote:After reading in the paper last week that i can use my DPMS Panther Ap4 in 223 i thought i would get some black hills hollow points and go out into the woods.

Are those expanding hollow points for hunting?

I thought they where match grade target bullets, not designed to expand or use on game, so not meant for hunting.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:17 pm

Don't use Match HP's for hunting - they either blow up - or tend to act like a FMJ and do little damage.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby hammAR on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Depending on your twist, the Winchester 64gr Power Point are highly rated for taking deer as it was specifically designed for Deer Hunting with the .223. Federal also loads the 55gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, as well as the 60gr. Nosler Partition............In regards to the 60gr. Nosler Partition there is an article on the net called "When Bullets hits Bone". In this article the author tested 4 different calibers in a Ballistic Test Tube, with and without Deer Leg Bones in front of the Ballistic Test Tube. The one Cartridge / Bullet tested was a .223 Remington with 60gr. Nosler Partitions. If you can find this article on the net (do a google search) I think you'll be surprised at the outcome.

According to "The Perfect Shot North America" by Craig Boddington, The Inuit often shoot polar bears with 223 REM's.

Last edited by hammAR on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Vlad on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:32 pm

I use an Ithica 87 with a 20in rifled tube with a 2X Swift scope mounted scout style. I have been using this one for the last 15years and makes cloverleaves at 50 yards off hand with the Federal Sabot load. Everyone have a safe hunt! :P
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:36 pm

hammAR wrote:Depending on your twist, the Winchester 64gr Power Point are highly rated for taking deer as it was specifically designed for Deer Hunting with the .223. Federal also loads the 55gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, as well as the 60gr. Nosler Partition............In regards to the 60gr. Nosler Partition there is an article on the net called "When Bullets hits Bone". In this article the author tested 4 different calibers in a Ballistic Test Tube, with and without Deer Leg Bones in front of the Ballistic Test Tube. The one Cartridge / Bullet tested was a .223 Remington with 60gr. Nosler Partitions. If you can find this article on the net (do a google search) I think you'll be surprised at the outcome.

According to "The Perfect Shot North America" by Craig Boddington, The Inuit often shoot polar bears with 223 REM's.

Polar Bears with a 223 are best taken with lung shots and well, from very far away........
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby cobb on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:42 pm

hammAR wrote:Depending on your twist, the Winchester 64gr Power Point are highly rated for taking deer as it was specifically designed for Deer Hunting with the .223. Federal also loads the 55gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, as well as the 60gr. Nosler Partition............

Yer off topic....

The_real_ozman wrote:After reading in the paper last week that i can use my DPMS Panther Ap4 in 223 i thought i would get some black hills hollow points and go out into the woods.

The bullet or ammunition in question was a hollow point ammunition from Black Hills. I agree very minimally with you on the Winchester 64gr Power Point, the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and the 60gr. Nosler Partition. But I am one of those that think the 243 and 357 magnum is not the best choice for deer. Maybe I am not as good as the rest of you when it comes to shooting deer, but I like a little more oomph to make up for my error.

I have always preferred a .308 over a .223 for other living creatures. I will stay with that rule when it comes to deer, basically the same body weight, but a much stronger will to survive then other living creatures.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby ex-LT on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Remington 7600 in 7mm-08. Remington 140 gr. Core-lokt bullets.

First year with this rifle. Previous years, I used a Remington 7400 in .30-06, and before that a Winchester 88 in .308.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby goalie on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 pm

I personally am a fan of avoiding head/spine shots on deer. I don't feel inclined to expose myself to any specific diseases that are contained in the brain/spinal column.

As for the actual question asked:

-Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag with irons shooting 240 grain Hornady XTPs

-Marlin 336 "trapper" in 30-30 with irons shooting 170 grain Cor-Lokts

-Mossberg ATR-100 in .270 with a fixed 4x Nikon Monarch scope shooting 130 grain Federal Fusions

-Remington 700 in 375H&H with a fixed 4.75x Weaver Grand Slam scope shooting 230 grain bullets

I am using the Fusion factory ammo because I got two boxes of it for Christmas a few years ago. It shoots as good as my handloads in that rifle, and the bullets act like the hammer of Thor on deer.

I'll mostly be using the new stainless Marlin trapper because it has not killed a deer yet, and it is just stone cold sexy.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Rem700 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 pm

Jennings .380
Winchester Silvertip 85gr HP
Just for the challenge
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby westberg on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Rem700 wrote:Jennings .380
Just for the challenge

What's your preferred hunting method with the .380, stalking or sitting? :lol:
westberg

Postby cobb on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:27 pm

westberg wrote:
Rem700 wrote:Jennings .380
Just for the challenge

What's your preferred hunting method with the .380, stalking or sitting? :lol:

I would say your tracking skills. :|

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby josh2415 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Browning BPS 12ga w/ Hastings 24" rifled barrel and Leupold scope. Will be shooting 2-3/4" Federals w/ 3/4oz tipped Barnes Expanders. Good out to 150yds.
Last edited by josh2415 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josh2415

Postby sochr000 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 am

Pinnacle wrote:
sochr000 wrote:Using my Savage 7mm WSM, it might waste a little meat, but it guarantees a quick humane kill.

What is this wasted meat nonsense?

Shoot behind the shoulder or in the head - or in the brisket.....

See Westberg's page 1 post, saying that the short mags waste meat.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone who can take a deer with a .220 swift (or whatever you kids use that's just barely above a slingshot), I was mostly trying to say that even with a shot that's less than perfect, the trauma caused is enough to end things(I try to wait for that "perfect" shot. but can't always convince the deer that they should stand broadside from me, not near a tree, and stop).
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting