Who hunts ? and what ?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Who hunts ? and what ?

Postby westberg on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:40 am

I hunt deer and grouse on our land up north. grouse stew,yum.
Hogs in Texas. Very good eating.
Dogs in ND once. Not so good eating.
Elk in MT. and CO.

Deer hunting is no challenge, man is the ultimate predator; Jesse Ventura. I sure one of you will have the exact quote.

ron
westberg

Postby TC95GT on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:47 pm

selurcspi wrote:
TC95GT wrote:I haven't been hunting yet since returning to Minnesota. Im trying to find places to go.

While living out west I did quite a bit.

Pheasant - my favorite but gave it up when my dog died.
Squirrell
Dear
Pig - another favorite. Fun hunting and exellent eating.
Quail
Duck

You worthless good for nothing, clean out the garage.

Yes DEAR............. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit as I was reading the first sentence of your reply I was thinking what in God's name did I do to piss off this guy? Good one. :D
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby TC95GT on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:48 pm

hammAR wrote:I didn't realize that there was a season on nagging dear........... :o

I will have to reread my license.................. :mrgreen:

There isnt a specific seanson. Nagging is year round.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby justaguy on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:12 am

Last edited by justaguy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby mostly- on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 pm

Phesants - MN and SD but not for a while (only have so much vacation time) THIS is my favorite!
Ducks - Rarely - don't care for the flavor.
Geese - Pondering it since they keep flying over the house.
Deer - Every year - at lest opening weekend usually second - in a really lean year 3rd also. Orr, Up North of Virginia (30 miles south of Canada)
Elk - went for a while then stopped due to surgeries and cash shortage - But going this year! and hope to bring horses with. Runner up Favorite! Colorado high country! THIS is a BLAST!
Fox, Coon, Skunk, other local pests which pursue my chickens, dogs and kids.

When we hunt, we Camp - never in a real campgound - State land just pull over and camp is setup! Do a pickup camper in MN deer hunting and a Wall tent in CO Elk hunting on BLM land (public Bureu of Land Management - wonderful secret!) Don't tell! :P .

Best time of my life was the last quarter I was in College - Had 3 general eds left - spend nearly the whole month of Oct. and much of Nov. hunting... ahhh the good old days!

Mostly-
mostly-

Postby rucker on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:50 pm

mostly- wrote:Geese - Pondering it since they keep flying over the house.
-

That's the thing that bothers me about goose hunting. My parents live on top of a big hill between a river and farmfield. In the fall there are huge flocks of geese that just barely clear the house trying to make it up to the farm. You could get your fill in about 5 minutes of shooting off the deck but when hunting season comes around we drive to Rochester, sit in a mudhole, and hope for a couple of shots. :x
rucker

Postby Thor on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 pm

We had half a dozen geese in our front "yard" last night. I was wishing we were more rural and I would have gotten out the shotgun!!
Thor

Postby Pat on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:37 pm

I grew up hunting and trapping just about everything. In the early seventies, North West Bank (Wells Fargo, now...) would publish a booklet every fall, noting all of that year's current hunting and trapping regulations.

What every kid waited for, though, were all the trapping tips, new with each issue. My family had chickens, so we had every sort of predator imaginable either digging under or climbing over the chicken wire.

Those were fun times, not likely to be experienced again by future generations. Can you honestly imagine Wells Fargo coming out each fall with a guide to hunting and trapping, aimed at teen aged boys?

If anyone is interested, I saved a number of these yearly booklets, and will bring them to one of our upcoming breakfast meetings. Please lick your fingers before handling!
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 pm

Back in the old Country we used to trap Rabbits and Hare's, and send the dog after em. Pigeons with a Air rifle as well as Pheasants,Grouse and Pigeons. And Occasionally i would go out with my cousins Husband ans shoot a few Foxes and acidentally a poacher. He was a game keeper so he had rifles as well as a big collection of shotguns.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby plblark on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:30 am

rucker wrote:
mostly- wrote:Geese - Pondering it since they keep flying over the house.
-

That's the thing that bothers me about goose hunting. My parents live on top of a big hill between a river and farmfield. In the fall there are huge flocks of geese that just barely clear the house trying to make it up to the farm. You could get your fill in about 5 minutes of shooting off the deck but when hunting season comes around we drive to Rochester, sit in a mudhole, and hope for a couple of shots. :x

My dad tells of his grandfather in the old days. Seems they raised Geese on their farm but every hunting season Great Grandpa would suit up, go out in a field a ways from the farm, sit in the cold, and get his "wild" goose for dinner. Made NO sense to Dad at the time :-)
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby MsT on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 pm

game farm pheasant; deer in SE MN (private land); prairie dogs in SD; and woodchuck at the lake ...

I got a late start doing this stuff, but I'm sure having fun now !
“It is not the things we do in our lives that we regret – it’s the things we don’t do.” (Randy Pausch)

MCPPA Instructor - http://www.TrainingOptionsLLC.com
NRA Instructor
MN DNR Firearms Safety Instructor
Firearms Academy of Seattle Aug. 2008
MsT

Postby jp2 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Absolutely love Grouse hunting in the woods of norhtern Mn and WI with he help aof a well trained dog. Pheasant hunting in southwestern MN the last few years has been great also. We hunt public land, there is a lot available though it can get crowded when the weather is nice.
jp2

Postby brauchma on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:15 pm

All on the family 900 acres...mixture of CRP, 2 miles of river bottom, and brush and trees:

Deer...shotgun and pistol
Pheasant
Rabbit
Coyote
Ducks
"Owning a gun doesn't make one a gunfighter any more that owning a Stradivarius violin makes one a concert violinist" - Col. Jeff Cooper

I think the gene pool needs more chlorine
brauchma

Previous

Return to Hunting