An interesting development in getting new hunters afield.

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

An interesting development in getting new hunters afield.

Postby 1911fan on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:29 pm

For the first time, those people who are young enough to need hunter safety before getting a license are allowed to get one firearms license without going through the hunter safety programs. This is a big success for those of us who are trying to get new people out hunting. In the past, if you had a friend or coworker who wanted to try hunting, they had to go thru the whole course before they got a chance to try it. NOW we can take them and get them a one year bye on the HST in order to get them hooked and still be legal about it.
Last year we had a young woman join us at deer camp who was not legal, and while we not happy about it, we decided that getting her into hunting was more important than the letter of the law, NOW before you all jump down my throat about it, she was hooked, we tagged her deer with bonus tag, and she went thru hunter safety on her own and is joining us again this year. So she will be legal from now on. BUT exactly this situation was one that was keeping new hunters from getting to experience it before they got to go thru the HST.

Now you can tell your friends, hey wanna try hunting? get them legal and hooked then accompany them thru HST and have them ready for next year. A lot of people who get hooked on hunting who do not have the family tradition get hooked on this same spur of the moment invite and we need more new hunters.
1911fan

Re: An interesting development in getting new hunters afield.

Postby ttousi on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Yup.........new program by the DNR. Can only use it once. Mixed feelings on it.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby EAJuggalo on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:11 pm

I considered it until I read the restrictions on it. I would have felt like a burden to those I was hunting with if I had to stay with them the entire time we were out. So I'll be sitting this season out and hopefully getting my FAS taken care of long before next season.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby ttousi on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:15 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:I considered it until I read the restrictions on it. I would have felt like a burden to those I was hunting with if I had to stay with them the entire time we were out. So I'll be sitting this season out and hopefully getting my FAS taken care of long before next season.

Do it now while the thought is fresh in your mind. Take the online version and hook up for the range and test with one of us. You could have your "temp" within a week.
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby gunflint on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 am

I'm all for it. I'll age myself here but I was hunting with my dad for years before I was old enough for gun safety training. I don't think it was even required in those days. You wouldn't believe how many grouse and pheasants I shot with a 22 using blanks. Or as my dad refered to it, bird shot. ;)
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby DeanC on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 am

ttousi wrote:Do it now while the thought is fresh in your mind. Take the online version and hook up for the range and test with one of us. You could have your "temp" within a week.

Yes - go here: http://homestudy.ihea.com/ and print out all of your quiz results then contact one of us DNR Instructors and we'll get you on the path to certification.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:47 am

gunflint, don't feel bad, when I started hunting there wasn't any license or safety requirements....or DNR.

What is interesting, is that I have had a hunting license for a number of years, I am a FAS instructor, but I still have to take the class before they will issue me a certificate and note it on my drivers license....................those who can do, those who can't teach........ :D :P :P :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby princewally on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:49 am

hammAR wrote:gunflint, don't feel bad, when I started hunting there wasn't any license or safety requirements....or DNR.

What is interesting, is that I have had a hunting license for a number of years, I am a FAS instructor, but I still have to take the class before they will issue me a certificate and note it on my drivers license....................those who can do, those who can't teach........ :D :P :P :P

So, do the home study, take yourself to the range and submit the paperwork. :)
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby hammAR on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:53 am

princewally wrote:So, do the home study, take yourself to the range and submit the paperwork. :)

It's more fun to bitch about it than to fix it..........it's a military thing....... :P :P :P :P :P
hammAR

Postby onebohemian on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:48 pm

hammAR wrote:gunflint, don't feel bad, when I started hunting there wasn't any license or safety requirements....or DNR.

How far could you guys throw a rock in those days, anyway? :lol:
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby EAJuggalo on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:20 pm

I actually started the IHEA last night after Tousi's post, finished it in a couple hours. I will be finishing the other few requirements in a few days, then need to get together with one of you fine instructors for the range day portion.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby ttousi on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Knock, knock......anybody home?

If you are a certified instructor all you have to do is help teach a class and your name goes in on the student roster as well. You then receive your certificate at no charge. Ask slurpee.

Gotta lead these grunts by the hand ........ :roll: :roll: :roll:
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

ttousi

Postby cobb on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:06 pm

:roll:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby hammAR on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 pm

ETA: Deleted by author
hammAR

Return to Hunting