Radios and hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Radios and hunting

Postby cobb on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 pm

We use radios when hunting in a legal manner. What we do is carry them turned off and when we hear a shot in our area we turn them on and wait. If it was one of us that shot and need help in some way, the shooter makes a call on his radio that he maybe wants one of the others to bring a vehicle over and help load the deer. Now when the call is made, my Motorola radio makes a loud squelch noise to indicate that the person talking is done talking and I would think that would scare everything in the area and since I may not be the one going to help, I prefer it didn't squelch.

So is there any radios out there that do not make that loud squelch at the end of a transmission? Is there maybe a Motorola, Cobra, Midland or some other that the squelch can be turned off?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Re: Radios and hunting

Postby ttousi on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:31 pm

How about an earpiece on your existing...........usually cuts off the external speaker.

or
Attachments
tin can phone.jpg
tin can phone.jpg (9.27 KB) Viewed 2549 times
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Steve_G on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 pm

You can set up the squelch tones or carrier tones on the radio. I belive the FRS rigs call them privacy tones. Almost all of the radios can do a tone squelch.

Turning this tone on would only let your radio "open the squelch" when it heard this privacy tone and would eliminate a lot of the squelch tail as it is commonly referred to without the tone on.

The only other thing to do (besides an earpeice) is to turn the squelch knob up higher, but then you might not hear the distant radios calling for the help.

KC0ORD is my FCC issue license for amateur radios....and I know a few other hams that lurk on this board would help in a pinch. PM if needed.
________
Steve_G
Steve_G

Postby Motobob on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:22 pm

I use a Garmin Rino 120 GPS/radio. I think they make a 130 and another new one with color display. They are programmable as to what alert you want. In your situation I use the vibrate function works well. They have both frequencies and can talk with all other handhelds.
A fact to a liberal is like garlic to a vampire.
Motobob

Postby Rem700 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:42 pm

Isnt there a DNR reg about not useing radios while hunting.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby cobb on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Rem700 wrote:Isnt there a DNR reg about not useing radios while hunting.

Yes, you can not use them to aid in the taking of game.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby cobb on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:04 pm

Motobob wrote:They are programmable as to what alert you want. In your situation I use the vibrate function works well.

What I am talking about is the squelch to signify that the person is done talking when they released the talk button. Kinda like saying "OVER" when you are done talking. I don't want the "OVER" squelch.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby ree on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:31 am

cobb wrote:We use radios when hunting in a legal manner.

I assume this is an assertion about the legality of radio usage. Not to be a stickler or anything, but if you are only using the fairly low-powered FRS channels that most of the GMRS radios support, then you are using them legally. If you're using the other channels that can transmit using up to 5 watts of power, then you're only legal if the individual transmitting (or a family member) has a GMRS license; it doesn't matter if you leave them off or on.

Otherwise, the roger beep is a function that some FRS/GMRS radios have, some don't, and which can usually be turned off on the ones that have it. What makes and models of radio are you guys using? Pull the manual for them and see if it's configurable.
ree

Postby Ironbear on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:20 am

cobb wrote:What I am talking about is the squelch to signify that the person is done talking when they released the talk button. Kinda like saying "OVER" when you are done talking. I don't want the "OVER" squelch.
It has been awhile since I looked through the manuals but I seem to recall that my Motorola's "over" tone could be turned on or off. However I use Motorola XTN radios on a MURS license and not the more common radios on GMRS or FRS.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby cobb on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:03 pm

My Motorola's are fairly old and simple and I cannot turn the tone off. So I found a set of Cobra's that it can be and it will be on my Christmas list this year.

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Return to Hunting