Fall Turkey Hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Fall Turkey Hunting

Postby Duff-Man on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:07 am

Going fall turkey hunting for the first time, other than the weather what is different than spring turkey hunting, if anything?
Duff-Man

Re: Fall Turkey Hunting

Postby rugersol on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:40 am

Duff-Man wrote:Going fall turkey hunting for the first time, other than the weather what is different than spring turkey hunting, if anything?

'Less yer in my back yard, no turkeys! Image

Oh wait ... my mistake! ... no difference! Image

If I ever go again, I'm gettin' a new call ... starts out like an engine revving ... and finishes with a car-horn blast fer 'bout 10 seconds ... it may not attract 'em ... but they sure as hell ain't gonna move, neither!

Oh ya ... almost hit one on Victoria in/near Roseville the other day! ... I usually don't slow down when they look to cross ... 'er I'll ending up doin' the same circle-jerk as with the middle-aged woman at the 4-way stop ... and he made a run fer it! :shock:

Good luck!

Where 'bouts ya goin'?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Duff-Man on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Suconnix WMA, but debating trying another spot.
Duff-Man

Postby FJ540 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Missed the deadline by two days when I discovered I had them...

2 hens and 5 poults in the frame.
FJ540

Postby crbutler on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Couple of big differences in fall turkey.

One, any turkey is legal, not just a tom with a visible beard.

Two, they really don't respond well to calling in the fall. In the spring, they tend to come great distances to calling because the males want to breed.

If you are trying a fall hunt, I would really recommend LOTS of scouting. You need to pattern the birds much more than in the spring.
crbutler

Postby traveler on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Veterans Cemetery just south of the airport. Light hunting pressure and plentiful turkeys. If that fails try Resurrection Cemetery just off of Lexington and 110.
Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
traveler

Postby DeanC on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Ummm... https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=307.08

Subd. 2.(b) A person who, without the consent of the appropriate authority and the landowner, intentionally, willfully, and knowingly does any of the following is guilty of a gross misdemeanor:

(3) discharges any firearms upon or over the grounds of any public or private cemetery or authenticated burial ground.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby FJ540 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:12 am

So get `em with a bow or :didntdoit:

I used to be lethal with a slingshot. I should get another one, those were fun times. :)
FJ540

Postby goldtopper on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 am

I've shot several in the Fall.
My best success came with scouting well and having a general idea where they are. They'll be feeding on acorns under Oaks and on berries- even buckthorn berries. In the afternoon, you can ambush them on the way to their roost. Sunny areas, usually west-facing hillsides are a good bet in the late afternoon.
Spot and stalk works well, but you really gotta be stealthy.
I've been to the Zoo, see. From where I was standing the Lion ain't the King of The Jungle. It is definetly the Zebra.
goldtopper

Postby Pred on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:07 pm

I have never tried this method, but I have read that if you can find a flock, run quickly into them to try to bust up the flock and get them to scatter. Some southern states allow use of dogs for this, but not MN. The birds will eventually try to all gather again. During this time you set up and use an 'assembly call' in the hopes of bringing one back close enough for a shot. But to my untrained ear, the assembly call sounds an awful lot like the yelp, and don't really understand what the difference is.
Pred

Postby Pezhead on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 pm

They have an app for the smart phone with turkey calls. Just don't have it when your hunting.
Pezhead

Postby FJ540 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Pezhead wrote:They have an app for the smart phone with turkey calls. Just don't have it when your hunting.

Here ya go - Make it your ring tone, then turn the ringer all the way up. Now instead of annoyingly vibrating in your pocket, your wife will actually help lure them in. ;)
FJ540

Postby Pezhead on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 am

FJ540 wrote:
Pezhead wrote:They have an app for the smart phone with turkey calls. Just don't have it when your hunting.

Here ya go - Make it your ring tone, then turn the ringer all the way up. Now instead of annoyingly vibrating in your pocket, your wife will actually help lure them in. ;)

They do have a wife allert ring tone, she wasn't impressed. On the Turkey call it says best to use external speakers. Oh and check local game laws.
Pezhead

Return to Hunting