Hunting sidearm caliber

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Hunting sidearm caliber

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:22 pm

I am not a hunter, but aspire to be in the future. My roomate however will not shut up in asking me the same question time and time again. I cannot find a satisfactory answer, so I have come to the guru (does the plural of guru have an s on the end?) to get direction. If you are hunting with a legal caliber, and are stopped by dnr with a sidearm that is not of legal hunting caliber how big of an issue will this present? Assuming all the while you are of legal status, and in posession of the firearm of legal caliber.

Thanks in advance!
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Re: Hunting sidearm caliber

Postby rucker on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Page 24 of the regulations state:
The “Concealed carry or permit to carry” provisions apply to certain hunting activities. Persons with a permit under this law generally may carry their handguns uncased and loaded while hunting, and while traveling to or from hunting locations by motor vehicle under the hunting firearms transportation laws. However, possession of the handgun while 'shining' or while hunting deer by archery would still subject the possessor to the provisions of these laws (see page 32, artificial lights, for more info).
rucker

Postby JoeH on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Rucker is right with the regs. This is also true in practice according to the COs with whom I've spoken.

In your example, it's clear that your rifle is the hunting firearm. The non-legal big game caliber sidearm is fine.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Pinnacle on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:48 pm

I nelieve that you WITH A VALID PERMIT can carry onto the woods and waters of the state of MN a sidearm that is not of legal big game caliber IF you are carrying a firearm suitable for the game that youa re hunting and that is legal.

This is how I interpret things - but it is best to check.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby plblark on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:37 pm

you know, laws being subject to interpretation, you'd be SAFEST buying a hunting legal caliber sidearm Just In Case. :-)

Let's see if my wife buys THAT one ...
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Srigs on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:47 pm

plblark wrote:you know, laws being subject to interpretation, you'd be SAFEST buying a hunting legal caliber sidearm Just In Case. :-)

Let's see if my wife buys THAT one ...

She might be getting smarter with something like that. ;)
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby macphisto on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:16 pm

One shouldn't need an excuse to buy a gun in 10mm, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, or .454 Casull...they're all great calibers. I only own one of them now, but hope to have them all someday.
macphisto

Postby 1911fan on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:31 pm

Two years ago I was bow hunting (deer) and had my Colt's Woodsman .22 with me in case any silly grouse or bunnies needed to be dispatched. I was stopped leaving my property (we park on the roadside so as not to excessively spook game when driving in) and was asked to show my license. I presented my archery tag and my small game tag, which covered each. I was not given any hassle for for it. But then I am a nearly 50 yo property owner so I might be given a little different treatment for the average hunter on public land.
1911fan

Return to Hunting