coyote calls

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

coyote calls

Postby ASmith on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:50 am

So I'm new to coyote hunting and after looking at the verry large selection of preditor calls on the market, I figured I'd ask if anyone could give me some advice on what calls would be good to start with. I don't want electric and ill be hunting se Mn
ASmith

Re: coyote calls

Postby farmerj on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:43 am

I've had good luck calling with the primos kiyi-
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby nyffman on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 am

Funny you should ask. I was just looking at a few and decided to try the Ki-Yi and the Mouse squeaker.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby farmerj on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 am

I have a third one I use, but can't find it in stores anymore.

Most of the time, the kiyi, squeaker and making chipmunk sounds do the tricks. Even barking to get them to stop

Just don't advise sittingin on a glider swing and shooting off your knees
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:16 am

Get your call, practice, practice.

Work with your white camo, including on your rifle, sling or whatever else you take afield.
White camo can be a painters suit and cap for you.
White sheets can be sewn to make baggy covers for rifles and other equipment, just try to break up the visual.
Coyotes can see much better than you!

Work with your rifle, be ready to take quick short range shots, AND long range shots.

A querk of coyotes is they will turn sideways to look back at you before going over a hill. You will get about 2-3 seconds to make your long range shot. So instead of shooting at a running coyote, try to anticipate where he is going and be ready for him to look back.

If you call at night, setup a wire screen over your head. WHY - owls will attack based on sound of crying rabbit call. A friend of mine had his face and shoulders torn-up by the claws of the bird. He also got hit hard by heavy bird attack. He was a wildlife photographer and got many shots of coyotes within 15 feet at night (he also carried a gun).

Have FUN, and stay out of the wind, wind chill will kill you. Snow caves are easily made in drifts. Use a bedfoam to prevent your bodyheat from melting snow you are laying on. DO NOT EXPECT more than 1 shot from your snow cave. I found out the hard way and spent several minutes digging myself and my equipment out of snow as cave collapsed on me. Found out later I made my shot.

Hunting at night with snow cover will be the best approach for calling. With a near-full-moon, you will see better than during the day.
OldmanFCSA

Postby old guy on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:16 am

Yup, I've had owls dive on me more than once.

John
old guy

Postby ASmith on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Do any of you hunt during the day or mostly at night?
ASmith

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:05 pm

I don't hunt at all anymore due to leg issues.

But when hunting in Iowa, South Dakota, & Nebraska, I had my best luck at night.

When I had my farm in Northern Wisconsin, I hunted during the day with a lamb tied to a post for bait.
There was a fence circle all around lamb to protect it and confuse the coyotes giving me ample opportunity to shoot off hay bales 100+ yards away.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rem700 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:42 pm

ASmith wrote:Do any of you hunt during the day or mostly at night?

Yep whenever I get the chance :P Prefer night but hunt when I can.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby promod1385 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:23 pm

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Free MP3 call sequences and directions to make a cheap MP3 call.

Hours of reading, enjoy!
promod1385

Postby cobb on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 pm

My New Years resolution is to try to rid my river valley of coyotes. Setting up a shotgun right now for night calling in my valley. Use to hunt fox years ago, 2 or 3 on a weekend use to help pay for the gas. Back then I used a 22-250, but in our river bottom even during the day, I think a load of #4 buck might be a better tactic.

We have pictures from a trail cam that I had set up for deer of a pair of coyotes coming into our apple trees a couple times a week, usually between 4 am and 5:30, don't know why that time frame. With those pictures, plus the videos my wife has seen and reports of the coyotes killing domestic pets my wife has said, and I quote, " I hate those damn things, just shoot them all". :D

So per my wife's request and my 2012 New Years resolution I will honestly try. 8-)
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Return to Hunting