Tree rats and bunnies help

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Tree rats and bunnies help

Postby Bulldog1856 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Hey guys. I was thinking about shooting some tree rats and bunnies this weekend but not sure where to go. Was hoping for recommendations for WMA's near the metro that might produce. Anyhelp appreciated. Tips and pointers welcome too as this will be my first legal squirrel outing.
Bulldog1856

Re: Tree rats and bunnies help

Postby Mdclinks on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Bulldog1856 wrote:Hey guys. I was thinking about shooting some tree rats and bunnies this weekend but not sure where to go. Was hoping for recommendations for WMA's near the metro that might produce. Anyhelp appreciated. Tips and pointers welcome too as this will be my first legal squirrel outing.

What about Pheasants and Grouse?

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html from the dnr's website.
Mdclinks

Postby FJ540 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:14 am

There's a tremendous amount of pressure on those species within easy driving range of the metro.

Either make a day of it and go further out (2+hrs from the metro), or start on opener (like all the Hmongs do*) next year.

*not a prejudicial statement, just fact
FJ540

Postby Belgiboy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 am

I have done well in the past on bunnies in the Louisville Swamp WMA near Jordan. That's about a good half hour south on 169 from the cities. Be aware that it is not toxic shot and rimfire only. Concentrate on areas where field meets forest. I did better sitting still and picking them off with the 17 HMR than by walking around and flushing them out. Evenings on sunny days are the best. Hope this helps. Rabbit stew is awesome.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Heffay on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 am

Do you eat these bunnies that you shoot? Or do you just do it for fun?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Bulldog1856 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:28 am

Definately going to eat what gets shot. I dont agree with hunting for sport only. My grandpa always said if you shoot it you eat it.
Bulldog1856

Postby Heffay on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:31 am

Bulldog1856 wrote:Definately going to eat what gets shot. I dont agree with hunting for sport only. My grandpa always said if you shoot it you eat it.

Agreed. Thank you.

I've never had rabbit before, but something that eats that many carrots has got to be pretty tasty. But they're so CUTE!!!

To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby DeanC on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 am

Heffay wrote: But they're so CUTE!!!

And tasty. What a great combo! Who wants to eat ugly food?
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Rem700 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:11 am

DeanC wrote:

Never thought of them as breakfeast food.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby FJ540 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:42 pm

My swamp rabbits up north stink to high heaven. I'm not sure what they eat, but it combines to make them reek like raw sewage when you put a hole in one (I couldn't finish dressing it out, it stunk so bad). Even my neighbor confirmed it wasn't just the one I shot - he said they're not good eating up there. I hope to reverse that with better food for them, but only time will tell if it'll work.
FJ540

Postby lenny7 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I quit hunting bunny rabbits when i lived in Kansas City. The last bunny I shot stunk so bad after I shot it that I had to throw away my game vest. Friggin' nasty!
lenny7

Postby Lunchbox on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:09 pm

DeanC wrote:

Pigs aren't cute at all, but damn is bacon exquisite! Not to mention all of the other tasty cuts that are on them. :)
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Return to Hunting