Thoughts/experience on hunting in Nickerson area?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Thoughts/experience on hunting in Nickerson area?

Postby 45Badger on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm looking at 80 acres up on RT 23 outside of NIckerson. All high ground, 40 acres is pretty densely planted in pine and 40 is a mix of pine planting (from small to huge), popple, some small oaks and other hardwoods. Lots of deer tracks in snow along with rabbit and wolf. Anybody hunt in that part of the world? What should a 80 acres cost?
Last edited by 45Badger on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Re: Thoughts/experieince on hunting in Nickerson area?

Postby MNIceMan on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:53 pm

From what I have seen depending on how close to a road it is you could be looking at 2 to 6K an acre for a start.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby Dill on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:10 am

I own 20 acres north east of Sandstone, and the hunting has been pretty decent for me. I only deer hunt, but have seen a lot of deer, grouse, bears, and coyotes. I ride ATV's a lot in the Nemadji State Forest and it looks like a wildlife haven to me. Good luck with your land purchase!
Dill

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:38 pm

I've hit deer, deer hit me, while riding offroad motorcycles in Nemadji State Forest.
A grouse to the chest hurts like hell !
I'm a member of Straight Arrow Enduro Riders club that puts on offroad cross-country events there.
You will find the the deer will follow our trails.
Our Club recommends when the DNR should close the Forest to riding to prevent trail damage.
There is another ATV club involved there as well.

I don't ride now due to current medical conditions.
OldmanFCSA

Postby grousemaster on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:37 pm

I've bagged plenty of grouse within a 20 minute drive of there.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby smurfman on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:57 pm

I have a place further down by Askov and see prices run $2000 and up per acre as has been stated. You might be able to haggle some and get it down closer to $1500 if the buyer was anxious to sell but $1800 would be a good deal if it is all above water. My land was $129,000 for 60 acres 9 years ago and that included an unfinished cabin. Today it is valued at $160K and includes a 45'x30' pole building, indoor bathroom, somewhat finished interior, a deck, and a 3 season porch. About 1/2 is a peat bog that reminds me of the tundra outside Churchill, Manitoba except for the trees. I don't walk in there unless there is snow and I am wearing snowshoes.
My cabin had been planted to Scotch pines by the CCC back in the 30s and were dying off. I had them logged off as I did not want to put up with the fire load nor the constant tree removal as they fell over the trails. I kind of wish I hadn't done as much as I had but it was hard to find someone to do the small amount I wanted and I was not going to cut and leave the trees lay.
The next time you head up that way, stop at the hardware/grocery store in Kerrick. It has a great deli which uses fresh baked bread for its sandwiches. I time my travels through there to make sure it is open.
smurfman

Postby Dill on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:01 pm

I paid 21,000 for my 20 acres last spring. Only a small part of it is wet and unusable. There are good deals out there, you just have to spend a lot of time driving around and looking.
Dill

Return to Hunting