.41 MAGNUM

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: .41 MAGNUM

Postby 1911fan on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:53 pm

I had a 41 mag S&W and a .41 mag trapper 1894 marlin. That was a great combo, but I got the itch for a new boat and motor and the guy was just offering too much for the pair, I think in someways the .41 is better on deer than the .44 mag as the trajectory is much flatter to 150 yards. Recoil is less too, even with a HOT load in the rifle was reaching 1700 fps with a 220 grain hard cast and that was plenty.
1911fan

Postby Aceq2jot on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 pm

Guns magazine has an article on the 41 in this months edition.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Not a bad caliber, but if you don't intend to reload you might want to check on ammo prices. Its waaaay above a 44 Mag.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby gunflint on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:08 am

I've carried a titanium .41 mag 4 inch since 04. This past summer I switched over to a .40 semi auto as my daily carry gun. Squib Joe is right on the reloading. I did get a bear with it and I still use it as a self defense gun when I'm on the road. (I like a revolver for loading and unloading reasons) My 4 inch titanium kicks like a mule but I would think that an 8 inch stainless would be much more reasonable.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby cobb on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 am

I love the .41 magnum, have a couple but have only taken one deer with it. I think the .41 a much, much better caliber for big game than the .357 and compared to the .44 mag hold it's own with advantages and disadvantages. Recoil isn't bad at all, especially in the size of gun that you are looking at. Accuracy is dependent on a lot, my S&W's and Ruger's shoot fine with handloads of Hornady bullets and H110 powder, but if you are asking in general, no that caliber does not have an accuracy problem. As far as reliability and accuracy of that particular wheel gun that you mention, I have no experience, but I think the .41 magnum is a fine caliber.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Return to Hunting