Returning soldiers eligible for free hunting, fishing licens

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Returning soldiers eligible for free hunting, fishing licens

Postby DeanC on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 pm

In case you know any guys coming back:

Returning soldiers eligible for free hunting, fishing licenses (2007-08-01)

Minnesota soldiers returning from service outside the United States in the past two years are eligible for free hunting and fishing licenses from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Returning soldiers, including those who served in the National Guard, may fish and hunt small game without a license for two years from their discharge. They may also obtain one free deer license under regulations passed by the 2007 Legislature.

"Many Minnesota soldiers have put their hunting and fishing trips on hold while they serve abroad," said Mark Holsten, DNR commissioner. "The free license is a small way we can recognize their sacrifice, welcome them home, and extend an opportunity to be with friends and family in Minnesota's great outdoors."

The DNR long has provided free hunting licenses to Minnesota military personnel on leave from stations outside of the state. The new legislation builds on that tradition. Holsten said a number of DNR employees are in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other parts of the world or recently returned. "Their service to state and country is moving," he said. "I extend to them, and all Minnesota soldiers, our agency's respect and appreciation."

The discharged residents must carry proof of residency and official military discharge papers while fishing or hunting small game. All required tags or state stamps must be obtained. They are available for free at any of 1,800 businesses that sell hunting and fishing licenses across the state. Firearms hunters born after Dec. 31, 1979, are required to have a DNR firearms safety certificate, which is available online through a training course on the DNR's Web site http://www.mndnr.gov.

Military personnel who have completed basic training are exempt from the range and shooting exercise portion of the DNR's firearms safety training.

A free deer license will be issued to residents who provide military discharge papers and proof of residency at any of the 1,800 businesses that sell deer licenses in the state.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Re: Returning soldiers eligible for free hunting, fishing licens

Postby plblark on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:41 pm

And they can skip the range and field day too:
A person who has successfully completed basic training in the United
States armed forces is exempt from the range and field day exercise
portion of firearms safety hunter education training, They must complete
the firearms safety training classroom portion, home study course or
on-line adult course the same as all others born after December 31,
1979. They must provide proof of basic training, i.e. Discharge papers
(DD214), or current military identification to the instructor conducting
the course exam. This safety training certification will be valid
throughout the US.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby 101CombatVet on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Is that just for MN residents???? I can show proof of being born in MN but now a WI resident??? Being in the Army has taught me a lot of things the big one is if its free take it..-Jason
S&W M&P .40, 9c

www.mp-pistol.com

We dont need gun control we need bullet control-Chris Rock
101CombatVet

Postby DeanC on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:21 pm

Doesn't look like it.

DeanC wrote:The discharged residents must carry proof of residency and official military discharge papers while fishing or hunting small game.

A free deer license will be issued to residents who provide military discharge papers and proof of residency
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 101CombatVet on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:32 am

DeanC wrote:Doesn't look like it.

DeanC wrote:The discharged residents must carry proof of residency and official military discharge papers while fishing or hunting small game.

A free deer license will be issued to residents who provide military discharge papers and proof of residency

OOPS i hear free stuff and I get all excited oh well i guess I will pay like everyone else BUT I will go to college for free combat vets who are residents of WI are allowed to go to any u of w schools for 4 years free :ugeek: :ugeek: thanks for the help-Jason
S&W M&P .40, 9c

www.mp-pistol.com

We dont need gun control we need bullet control-Chris Rock
101CombatVet

Return to Hunting