Suburban coon trapping

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Suburban coon trapping

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:16 am

FJ540 wrote:Release their souls to Atlantis!

There's no way you can migrate that animal and not cause harm somewhere else.

I had Wisconsin DNR releasing trapped bears from city compost site to forest within 1/2 mile of my farm with livestock.
I ended up killing two bears that were in my barns killing animals, and one that came for me.
OldmanFCSA

Postby TSKNIGHT on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:21 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
FJ540 wrote:Release their souls to Atlantis!

There's no way you can migrate that animal and not cause harm somewhere else.

I had Wisconsin DNR releasing trapped bears from city compost site to forest within 1/2 mile of my farm with livestock.
I ended up killing two bears that were in my barns killing animals, and one that came for me.

Hmm, I remember some fuss about bears around the Boyceville area in 2003-4 that were taking calves... around the same time I was getting paid to take coyote south of Menomonee.
TSKNIGHT

Postby hammAR on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Recommend Duke DP Coon Trap..............amazingly effective
have a couple extra that you can try .................

dog proof..
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby FJ540 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:43 pm

I've come around to loving the Duke's DP traps too. I have a problem with mice looting the bait up North, but the catch rate is pretty high even so.

Only the dumbest coon will stick their noses in a bucket set/220 conibear in my area. I'm sure the neighbors had educated them well long before I ever showed up.
FJ540

Postby arizona98tj on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:14 pm

tullibee wrote:I think if it happens again I may try the .223 with the Varmint Grenades instead of the 10/22... ;) ;) :twisted:

The results from hitting a skunk with a .223 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. It was caught in a trap at my neighbors wood shed door and I took care of it for her. Amazingly, it did not spray (before or after being shot). It did leak a bit after being shot and she used bleach to get rid of the smell. Worked much better than peroxide and soap.

It was one heck of a splatter pattern.

arizona98tj

Postby FJ540 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:35 pm

I've had similar results with .22 (not the splat - nice one!) where they don't spray unless they can identify a target even when being shot at.

Skunks do leak out after the hit, so the best bet is to get them in a plastic bag as soon as possible to contain the oil.

If you're daring, or plan on trapping predators - you can remove the sacks in the skunk's back end and make lure out of them, or sell them to guys who make trapping lures.
FJ540

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:11 pm

FJ540 wrote:I've had similar results with .22 (not the splat - nice one!) where they don't spray unless they can identify a target even when being shot at.

Skunks do leak out after the hit, so the best bet is to get them in a plastic bag as soon as possible to contain the oil.

If you're daring, or plan on trapping predators - you can remove the sacks in the skunk's back end and make lure out of them, or sell them to guys who make trapping lures.

Liquid gold!
Holland&Holland

Postby FJ540 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 pm

^^^ I snagged a skunk in my bucket set trying to get another porky and left the carcass in front of the trail cam just for giggles. Just about every critter in the woods came sniffing that thing. Ended up feeding some turkey vultures for a week.
FJ540

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:45 pm

FJ540 wrote:^^^ I snagged a skunk in my bucket set trying to get another porky and left the carcass in front of the trail cam just for giggles. Just about every critter in the woods came sniffing that thing. Ended up feeding some turkey vultures for a week.

Some Wednesday lunch I will have to tell the story about when Outdoor Life ran a story about "liquid gold" and how valuable skunk oil was. It inspired 2 young teenage would be entrepreneurs but it does not end well for them.
Holland&Holland

Postby FJ540 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:36 am

:lol: I can only imagine! :lol:

I should end up making another lunch one of these months. Been doing a lot of BS meetings lately.
FJ540

Previous

Return to Hunting