Suburban coon trapping

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Suburban coon trapping

Postby FJ540 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:17 am

I have a Duke DP trap screwed to the shed (via the chain) and filled with corn. So the wife puts the already leaky inflatable kiddy pool behind the shed right next to the trap. :lol: I'm debating whether or not to tell her that's a poor choice for such an item, or let her find out if I can manage to snag a nest robber. I'm actually hoping the coon destroys the shed so I can replace it with a better built rendition (The Mrs. won't let me tear it down).

A couple years ago I took 5 coons in 3 weeks, but last year I was 0 for 5 weeks and ended up with my live trap remaining empty and un-tripped for the majority of the winter (after I stopped renewing the bait).

Down here in the metro, I trap them as a form of public service. We have lots of little kids around, and the coon poop has parasites in it, so I do what I can to reduce their population. It also lets me experiment with different set configurations, but last years goose egg didn't teach me much other than I did a good job the year before (or they're all on to me and know my fence has never been escaped in recent years). 8-)

Anyone else catch raccoons for amusement and the common good?
FJ540

Re: Suburban coon trapping

Postby Pezhead on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 am

I think I saw an exterminator using canned cat food for racoons. It seemed to work pretty well.
Pezhead

Postby Bulldawg on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 am

Pezhead wrote:I think I saw an exterminator using canned cat food for racoons. It seemed to work pretty well.

+1 for the canned cat food. I usually put a can inside the trap and make a trail into the trap using mini marshmellows, stale muffins, cookies, or what ever is laying around. I have trapped one every time with this method. Coons are extremely crafty and they have figured out how to break out of my trap in the past. I have now modified and reinforced my trap and they haven't been able to escape since. Also, camoflauge your trap. Don't just set it out there with bait in it. I use a piece of cheap camo burlap to cover it and stake the edges down with landscape staples to keep it from blowing off. Good Luck...
Bulldawg

Suburban coon trapping

Postby xd ED on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 am

Eggs.
You won't catch cats with eggs.
Skunks maybe.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby tullibee on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:23 am

caught a #$$%^& B&W Forest Kitty night before last... unfortunately, my attempt at a clean head shot thru the cage from a distance with the 10/22 was not fully succesful yesterday morning :( so the friends yard got a bit smelly! made a quick run to town for hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap and made a batch of destink juice to pour over the whole works and let it sit for a while. still managed to have a bit of a stinky right tennis shoe afterwards, but not too bad. Not sure what she had baited with this time, maybe some salmon and marshmallows.

was having a little trouble between the cheap scope and my bad eyes - I think if it happens again I may try the .223 with the Varmint Grenades instead of the 10/22... ;) ;) :twisted:
tullibee

Postby promod1385 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 am

I try used to punch a few holes in the can instead of actually opening it. You get the same effect and they dont actually get to eat your bait!
promod1385

Suburban coon trapping

Postby xd ED on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:03 am

tullibee wrote:caught a #$$%^& B&W Forest Kitty night before last... unfortunately, my attempt at a clean head shot thru the cage from a distance with the 10/22 was not fully succesful yesterday morning :( so the friends yard got a bit smelly! made a quick run to town for hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap and made a batch of destink juice to pour over the whole works and let it sit for a while. still managed to have a bit of a stinky right tennis shoe afterwards, but not too bad. Not sure what she had baited with this time, maybe some salmon and marshmallows.

was having a little trouble between the cheap scope and my bad eyes - I think if it happens again I may try the .223 with the Varmint Grenades instead of the 10/22... ;) ;) :twisted:

I've no experience doing it, but was told if you hit a skunk in its spinal column it will paralyze them before they can spray. Also if the trap is enclosed, I'm told they won't spray when confined in a closed space. Then again, remember what you paid for this. :-)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby tullibee on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:33 am

I've had decent luck over the years - if you make a good head shot (especially if their tail is down), they generally don't spray, but may leak a little bit. I was having trouble getting a clear view with my scope (was playing with it a while back trying to get it sighted in again, and hadn't gotten the eyepiece adjusted for my current glasses) but I took what I thought at the time was a good sight picture shot -- unfortunately, I hit a bit lower than I planned and it didn't kill the little bugger outright, so I needed a follow-up. between it shaking around and the cage bars, it took me a few seconds before getting a clear shot again. during that time it did some panicked spraying!

if you're having skunk problems instead of raccoons, our best trick over the years was to lay a board from the deck to an empty garbage can and put bait on the board (a few hunks of catfood). when the skunk walks out on the board, it teeters and drops them into the can. in the morning, we would just slide the end of the garden hose slowly into the can and turn it on slow. fill halfway and walk away for an hour... no mess, no smell!
tullibee

Postby FJ540 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 pm

My sure-fire coon set for the DP (dog proof) traps is a big marshmallow under the trigger, another above it, and fill the top with corn. Right now I'm experimenting with subtracting the marshmallow to see if that's a step I can skip, as it takes time and extra messing around to use (50# of corn goes a long way).

The only problem I've had with that bait is that we have a rampant mouse population up north and they'll eat the contents of the trap before the coons make it back into the area. At first, they'd leave the marshmallows, but then they decided those were yummy too and made off with everything. I know it's mice, because I caught one in the act of eating my marshmallow on the stump next to my set. Our reemerging fox population has it's work cut out for it - they certainly won't go hungry.

Dr. Grant Woods uses a soup can over the DP traps to prevent this, but I might modify them to have a lid instead. If you're not familiar with Dr Woods, he has a weekly webcast at Growingdeer.tv which is pretty informative.

Raw eggs are the cat's pj's for coon in a live trap. They smell that and come running! The only problem is you will get skunk too. I don't use canned cat food because we do have some neighborhood cats, and I'd rather they kept up with our mice here instead of being detained without cause.
FJ540

Postby unfitmother on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 pm

This week I started my own campaign against 3+ raccoons, in the heart of Minneapolis. My inspiration is Jager Pro. If you haven't seen their videos before, I find them very informative, and entertaining.

Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby unfitmother on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Night 1: Rent 2 large live traps, wash them with hose, and camouflage them with vegetation and plant material. Zip tie the trip mechanism firmly in place to condition the animals to place their full weight on it. Place bait only at the very entrance of the trap.
Night 2: Place bait halfway into the trap
Night 3: (Tonight) Starting at the entrance of the trap, place bait all the way to the back.
Night 4: (Tomorrow) Cut the zip ties, and place the bait all the way to the back, with trip mechanism armed.
Day/Night 5: Take care of the trapped raccoons, wash the traps, and repeat steps 2-5.

Thanks to the recommendations in this thread, the bait I am using is marshmallows, tortillas, cat food, and a splash on vinegar for maximum odor.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby xd ED on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 pm

unfitmother wrote:Night 1: Rent 2 large live traps, wash them with hose, and camouflage them with vegetation and plant material. Zip tie the trip mechanism firmly in place to condition the animals to place their full weight on it. Place bait only at the very entrance of the trap.
Night 2: Place bait halfway into the trap
Night 3: (Tonight) Starting at the entrance of the trap, place bait all the way to the back.
Night 4: (Tomorrow) Cut the zip ties, and place the bait all the way to the back, with trip mechanism armed.
Day/Night 5: Take care of the trapped raccoons, wash the traps, and repeat steps 2-5.

Thanks to the recommendations in this thread, the bait I am using is marshmallows, tortillas, cat food, and a splash on vinegar for maximum odor.

While I applaud your efforts, and mind you I don't know about raccoons in mpls, but I'm pretty sure in St Paul-any non-'special person'.. (i.e. licensed pet control/ city animal control)... trapping/ harming critters might be a felony...even squirrels in an attic

concealed is concealed ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Suburban raccoon trapping

Postby unfitmother on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks for the caution :)

Mpls Ordinance Code 64.90 wrote:(g) Animal traps and similar devices. No person shall set, lay, or prepare any trap or mechanical device capable of killing, injuring, or maiming any person, animal, or wildlife. No owner or person having the care, custody, or control of any dwelling, building or other structure shall permit such a trap or device to be set or to remain set on the premises inside or outside such dwelling, building, or structure.

(1) The provisions of this subsection do not apply to representatives of the city, county, state, federal government, or licensed pest control operators while in the course of their official duties and a more humane trap is not available; nor to property owners, their agents, or their tenants who may employ, on private property a trap specifically designed to eradicate rats, mice, or moles, or a cage, box or enclosure-type device, in which an animal can be confined but which does not injure, maim, or kill to prevent an unsafe condition or to prevent waste or destruction of their property.

(2) Any animal trapped by humane methods shall otherwise be released back to the wild or humanely destroyed in accordance with applicable law.

(h) Killing or injuring prohibited. No person shall kill or injure any animal within the city unless it be in defense of himself or herself, another person or the threat of imminent death of another animal. This subsection shall not apply to veterinarians or to employees of MACC or employees or persons otherwise authorized by law.

Emphasis mine. I will be releasing the raccoons in the wild, well outside of any city limits. I will also be checking the traps multiple times a day so that any animal that gets trapped doesn't become dehydrated.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby FJ540 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:08 am

Release their souls to Atlantis!

There's no way you can migrate that animal and not cause harm somewhere else.
FJ540

Postby unfitmother on Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:51 am

Real life Pokemon

Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Next

Return to Hunting