Deer Camp Traditions

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Deer Camp Traditions

Postby photogpat on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 am

So, thought I'd start this thread for the year since preparations for next week are in full swing. What deer camp traditions have you got in your group?

I'm a relative new-comer to deer camp, having only picked it up 12 yrs ago when I met my now-wife. Her family are big time deer hunters, and invited me to join them. Its been a downhill slide ever since. I took great pride in introducing my 2 boys to deer camp last year for the first time (at 6). This year, they're quite possibly more excited to go than I am. The other day after school, their school principal (my kids talk about hunting incessently this year) was asking me about how I keep them occupied in the stand (her kids apparently won't sit still long enough to stay out very long). Mine don't have that problem - binoculars, Halloween candy, sack lunch and a thermos full of cocoa keeps them occupied as well as a couple of new comic books.

So, back to the original topic.

Our deer camp traditions - beard contest (which I lose every time), a new whiskey/bourbon/scotch every year (for afterwards), new gun show & tell (everyone who bought something "neat" that year brings it up), thick cut bacon, multiple pies, and a full pork roast or turkey feast with all the hunters in our vicinity for a Saturday night.

Man, I'm looking forward to next week...

IMAG0052-1.jpg

Now you!

Pat
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: Deer Camp Traditions

Postby rugershooter6823 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 am

like you im a new comer to deer camp. had to wait till i married my wonderful bride who lets me hunt when ever i want. but now i can hunt anytime i want on the land. every year me my father in law and 3 brother in laws go up to the hunting cabin. the one thing that is tradition i would say is that we always eat the back straps and the heart of that days deer for dinner and some home made fries. we have always been sucessful up there. but we always have plenty of food just incase. and my wife always makes us a pan of special k bars to bring.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1351169891935.jpg
This house is protected by the good lord and a gun.
rugershooter6823

Postby CJB on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:08 am

We have a 'Camp Log Book' detailing the highs and lows over the years. Dating all the way back to 1984 when we bought the original chunk of property, we can see who shot what, where, when. Also includes upgrades made to camp (we've come a long way), who all was in attendance, and maybe the occasional inside joke and of course, plenty of pictures of dead deer.
CJB

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:41 am

My standing tradition is that I end up buying 5 packs of cigarettes for opener cuz the dairy farmer whos land we hunt bums them all from me...
sgruenhagen44

Postby plblark on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 am

We do a slow cooker pot luck. Everyone brings something in a slow cooker and they get plugged in on low in the morning. It's amazingly satisfying to come in at lunch or after a long day sitting still in the woods and enjoy a bowl or three of good, hot, stick to your ribs grub. Chicken wild rice stew, Venison Chili, Spaghetti and meatballs, etc...
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby shooter115 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 am

Fresh backstrap and Heineken.
shooter115

Postby Mdclinks on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:18 am

Our deer camp has had a tradition of Kippered Snack and Oysters. I have no idea why. That and someone always brings up a new deer hunting video or two to watch.
Mdclinks

Postby plblark on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:19 am

this year I'm bringing a projector, screen, DVD player, and the walking dead :-)
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby photogpat on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:11 am

plblark wrote:this year I'm bringing a projector, screen, DVD player, and the walking dead :-)

Outstanding!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Deer Camp Traditions

Postby Snowgun on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Game potluck party one night, poker, hammerschlagen, gun show and tell, deer butchering technique seminar.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Deer Camp Traditions

Postby Snowgun on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Double tap
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby goalie on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Venison on the grill. Onions and mushrooms on the stove in real butter.

MMMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby MnHornet on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 am

We go to the "Hunters Supper" at the Balsam town hall. Food is OK, but the stories, raffle, and attendees' make it worth it.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby Shipyard on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 am

cheap beer, even cheaper strippers and if you're lucky, someone gets electrocuted. ;)

true story.

every once and a while, someone goes hunting. on rare occasions deer are shot :lol:
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby plblark on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:40 am

Shipyard wrote:cheap beer, even cheaper strippers and if you're lucky, someone gets electrocuted. ;)

true story.

every once and a while, someone goes hunting. on rare occasions deer are shot :lol:

Being the true professional we all know you to be, I'm sure you came back and finished the dance ;-)
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Next

Return to Hunting