Deer hunting with Shotgun magazine extension

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Postby Aliensrgr8 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm

I have an 870 and have started using 3 inch shells. I can only carry 4 shells while hunting deer as opposed to the 5 of the 2 3/4. Does anyone know if it would be legal to hunt deer in MN with a magazine extension tube installed.
Aliensrgr8

Re: Deer hunting with Shotgun magazine extension

Postby photogpat on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Check the MN DNR hunting regs at DNR's website for yourself...but MN does not have magazine restrictions for big game hunting...only waterfowl.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby 45Badger on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Aliensrgr8 wrote:I have an 870 and have started using 3 inch shells. I can only carry 4 shells while hunting deer as opposed to the 5 of the 2 3/4. Does anyone know if it would be legal to hunt deer in MN with a magazine extension tube installed.

It only takes one ;) I love :roll: the sound of guys chasing deer with bullets/slugs......

Bang!...............Bang!........Bang!...Bang!..Bang! or the bozo who did this followed by....bangbangbangbangbang! on opening day two years ago.:mrgreen:

Just because you can, does not mean you should. End of lecture. Enjoy your season :)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Aliensrgr8 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:08 pm

I understand that it only takes one and in the past I have never needed more than three.

It is more of a convenience thing than anything else. I just don't want a loose shell running around in my pockets, hunting bag or in the truck.
Aliensrgr8

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 pm

I hope you cleaning missed on the first two shots. I think were all guilty of missing or wounding deer. Just cuz I hunt with a six shooter doesn't mean I should use all six. My first year hunting in SOdak I killed two whitetail standing next to eachother with just a T/C Encore .270. Quick reload. Made it count. I guess I have never had a scenario play out deer hunting where I was thinking to myself, "Damn, I wish I had more than 4 shells."
sgruenhagen44

Re: Re: Deer hunting with Shotgun magazine extension

Postby goett047 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:16 am

Aliensrgr8 wrote:I understand that it only takes one and in the past I have never needed more than three.

ROFL
goett047

Postby rugersol on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 am

Aliensrgr8 wrote:I just don't want a loose shell running around in the truck.

:shock:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 am

Aliensrgr8 wrote:I have an 870 and have started using 3 inch shells. I can only carry 4 shells while hunting deer as opposed to the 5 of the 2 3/4. Does anyone know if it would be legal to hunt deer in MN with a magazine extension tube installed.

What is it with everyone having to use 3" shells? A quality 2 3/4" slug will do the job and some.

It is knda like guys saying they need a 12ga for pheasant. I'm shooting a 28ga for pheasant these days and another guy on this site can confirm it does the job just fine.

The only reason guys need all this extra power for hunting is to make up for crappy shooting ability. Save you money on the extension and go to the range.
mmcnx2

Postby rugersol on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 am

mmcnx2 wrote:The only reason guys need all this extra power for hunting is to make up for crappy shooting ability.

I'd argue the 3in shells'd make one less accurate!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:52 am

The extra weight toward the muzzle might offset recoil a bit but make the gun heavier to carry. I only had to make a follow up shot on a deer once after I flinch pulled the first shot, clean kill on the second... I can't see needing more than 3 in the gun.
yuppiejr

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:56 am

rugersol wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:The only reason guys need all this extra power for hunting is to make up for crappy shooting ability.

I'd argue the 3in shells'd make one less accurate!

If someone practices field shooting with 3" slugs and can put together groups regularly why not? I shoot 2.75s like many but the 3 inches are not less accurate if the shooter can deal with the recoil.
yuppiejr

Postby rugersol on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:32 am

yuppiejr wrote:if the shooter can deal with the recoil.

more recoil don't often make one a better shot! ... obviously, if one were to put in the range time, that can be overcome! ... I don't believe it often is! ;)
rugersol

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:10 am

rugersol wrote:
yuppiejr wrote:if the shooter can deal with the recoil.

more recoil don't often make one a better shot! ... obviously, if one were to put in the range time, that can be overcome! ... I don't believe it often is! ;)

Right, I think we're making the same point. :) If you can handle the recoil the upside is greater terminal performance ... You are going to get a slightly flatter trajectory and longer effective range, I suppose if it's a big buck or you elect to take a front-on shot or something it's nice to have the extra horsepower.

To circle back to the OP's question... if I was comfortable shooting 3" slugs and they patterned fine in my shotgun I would not feel it a negative to run with only 3-4 in the gun versus 4 or 5x 2.75" slugs. I've had the same experience as Badger with the .. Bang... bangbangbangbang "walking the shots on" school of marksmanship within earshot of my own hunting location and greater magazine capacity or 3" vs 2.75" shells are not really high on the list of things wrong with this picture. Plenty of guys successfully harvest deer with nothing more than grandpa's single shot break-open 12 or 20 gauge and old box of Remington Sluggers (which is how my kids will likely learn). I would take a quality single shot 2.75" chambered break-action 12 gauge with great sights (peeps ideally) and a good trigger over an average pump slug gun with more magazine capacity if they were around the same price.

Extra magazine capacity is just giving you a margin of error but statistically your odds of making accurate follow-up shot drop exponentially with each extra shot, particularly if the deer starts running.
yuppiejr

Postby gunforhire on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42 am

rugersol wrote:
Aliensrgr8 wrote:I just don't want a loose shell running around in the truck.

:shock:

:o :o :shock:

If you are worried about loose shells, get a damn shellholder. you can get them for the belt if you want, or just spend 4 bucks at fleet farm and get one for the stock of your shotgun

or you can spend more and be tactical :roll:

"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby goalie on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:03 pm

If you are hunting deer with a shotgun, and you want actual terminal performance out past 100 yards, your best bet is a 20g anyhow.

Even Heffay has that figured out.

;)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Next

Return to Hunting