Africa

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Africa

Postby Sammichman on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Any body out there ever give any thought to going to the Dark Continent for a possible once in a Life time Hunt ??
Sammichman

Re: Africa

Postby crbutler on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am

Been there a few times.

Initially it was "once in a lifetime"

Now its some kind of disease.

Going back after elephant again this spring.
crbutler

Postby Mdclinks on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 am

I think about it a lot. It would be fun, besides the insects.... Maybe I will have the money or time off eventually to do so. Would love to go with my father.
Mdclinks

Postby stottingmuley on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm

crbutler wrote:....

Drool. I want an Eland for my first... if I ever get to go over there.
My old man told me, before he left this ******* world, never chase buses or women, you'll always be left behind.
stottingmuley

Postby Sammichman on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:20 pm

crbutler wrote:Been there a few times.

Initially it was "once in a lifetime"

Now its some kind of disease.

Wow Elephant,,major league Fee,,What out fitter did you go thru,,,I,m planning to go late this year or next for sure
Sammichman

Postby crbutler on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Most of them have been through an outfit in Texas called Adam Clements Safari Trackers.

What kind of hunt are you looking at? Plains game ranch hunt as a family vacation or more wilderness dangerous game?

I think that the MN SCI chapter is holding a "convention" later on this winter that might give you a chance to meet some of the outfitters.

If you want more of my opinions on this, feel free to PM me on it.
crbutler

Postby Sammichman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm

I,m surprised I thought there would be a lot more interest,,I,m planning my dream hunt for late this year or early next
Sammichman

Postby brewerbob on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Sammichman wrote:I,m surprised I thought there would be a lot more interest,,I,m planning my dream hunt for late this year or early next

Someday over the rainbow.... I'll stick a tad closer for now, but if I ever get the chance, I'm off to the Dark Continent.
brewerbob

Postby Sammichman on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:16 pm

brewerbob wrote:
Sammichman wrote:I,m surprised I thought there would be a lot more interest,,I,m planning my dream hunt for late this year or early next

Someday over the rainbow.... I'll stick a tad closer for now, but if I ever get the chance, I'm off to the Dark Continent.
Enjoy Life, it has an Expiration Date,,I read that about a month ago ,,thats what made up my mind
Sammichman

Postby Sammichman on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Sammichman wrote:
brewerbob wrote:

Enjoy Life, it has an Expiration Date,,I read that about a month ago ,,thats what made up my mind
Just purchased a Airline approved Double rifle case,,,I,m 14 months away
Sammichman

Postby brewerbob on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Sammichman wrote:
brewerbob wrote:

Will probably be doing hogs first in UP Michigan this fall or winter.
brewerbob

Postby Sammichman on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:14 pm

13 months have passed and I'm on my way May 15th,,I have my Form 4457 US Customs Form signed along with the SAP Permit, still waiting for the Netherlands Permit,,which seems to be taking forever
Sammichman

Postby crbutler on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Netherlands tend to send it a matter of days before its due, or at least that is how it worked for me the couple of times I went through Amsterdam.

I hope you are using some sort of expediter service, or else if there is any mistake on the form, you're SOL.

On your connecting flights, don't dink around "exploring" the airport. If there is a problem, especially with the guns, they will try and find you at your next desk. I also always ask the ticket agent on boarding to verify my bags are on board, this has saved my bacon once. They also have rather unique customs set ups in Shipol (AMS), where they personally interview you before you head back to the US. I had fun with it at first and ended up spending 45 minutes discussing things with 3 different folks before they let me on the plane back home, since the first girl couldn't believe the barbarity, and assumed I had to be a terrorist. Now I say, "I was on holiday, had fun, can't wait to get back home, thanks."

Where are you headed? Through AMS usually means Tanzania or Zambia. Edit- just noticed South Africa...

You will find that dealing with the African authorities is much easier, although more expensive than us "developed" countries. They also like hunters, which the Europeans generally don't.

A couple of points- make sure your luggage tags say the right itinerary before you leave the baggage counter. Keep a small supply of low denomination tipping money separate from your main cash supply. Have copies of all your documents in each of the bags and also an extra set on your person. If you are headed to a place with an entrance visa fee, be sure to have exact change, They will not make change- you will just have donated the extra to the guy in the booth.

Good luck, and let us all know how you did. The first trip started a dangerous addiction. I intended to go once and say been there, did that; now I have been going back pretty much every year, I could retire young except for this little "problem" but its the most fun I have ever had.
crbutler

Postby Sammichman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 am

Wow,thanks for the great advice,,I'm heading to Tambo in Johannisburg,,I stay overnite at the Afton House and after sending the many pages of forms they have informed me that everything is in order and will meet me at the airport to make sure thing go smoothly their, the Fee is a 100.00 USD with probably a tip for their rep,,,,I sent AMS virtually the same forms I sent to SA I don't know why they drag their feet they havent even acknowledged that they recieved my e-mail , No talk of an entrance visa ,,What is the right amount for tipping I know the exchange rate in SA is about 10-1 ,,I know from being a member of AH.com the proper amount for the Lodge people and my PH,,any thoughts on how much cash to walk around with?,,again thanks for the Info
Sammichman

Postby crbutler on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:24 am

I don't think SA charges for a visa for US citizens. At least, I didn't pay.

If you are dealing with Afton, they probably will have someone there to help you clear SAPS. SAPS is pretty good at asking for tips, but they will do things without it, and it is against the law supposedly.

There are all kinds of folks who want to carry your bags and say if you don't pay, you might not get them. Not true, but if someone carrys it for me, I usually give them $5.

I would have a separate wallet with 1 credit card and maybe $100 in 10's, 5's and 1's for tipping. In general, they accept US currency for most things. It probably would be worthwhile to change maybe $500 to $100 to rand for curio shopping and day trips and if you stop at a restaurant on the way to the hunting ranch (depending on how far you have to drive.) Close to JNB it looks a lot like any other major city, but after you get out a ways it is definitely different.

I tipped the driver to the concession $100 (for both legs), but that was a several (5) hour drive. If someone put a hand out, I generally gave them $1 to not be too insulting, but tipped most of the hotel types $5 for carrying bags, etc. Expect a lot of tip requests.

Also expect lots of opportunities to blow through whatever trophy fee budget you have. Last time I was in SA they offered me a lion for $3500 (of course this was an immature captive reared lion and not a true hunt) Know what you want to hunt, and know your trophies to avoid issues. Most SA PH's are honest folks, but the money can be a problem. Try shopping around on the dip and pack in SA. I got clipped for not doing that- the dip and pack was more than the trophy fees for what I shot.
crbutler

Next

Return to Hunting