Africa

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Africa

Postby Sammichman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm going to limit my hunting to mostly Cull,,with an eye open for Kudu and Oryx,,Chris has some Monsters on his Property, The two wallet Idea is great,,I need to get some Rand also maybe .who did you use for your Trophy mounts,,,I hear some Nightmares about African Taxidermy,,My PH has some one he uses but I'm wondering if I'm better off shipping to Minnesota. Zebra skin or Kudu along with just a Horn Mount would be about my limit
Sammichman

Postby crbutler on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:54 pm

I use Atcheson Taxidermy out of Montana. There are several folks in MN who will do a good job, but Tom at Atcheson essentially takes care of everything for me, and I am happy with their work, so I have no desire to change.

If you don't want a shoulder or whole body mount, then having it done in SA is fine- a euro mount is really quite simple, and tanning is cheaper there than here, just have a couple of quotes. As I said, my last SA hunt the trophy fees ended up being less than the dip and pack. If you don't bring back a primate or a pig, you don't need to go through the USDA stuff either if its finished taxidermy (I think...) Get a couple quotes for dip and pack for what you want now... it can be several thousand bucks, and I have been told that there are a lot of kickbacks in that business. Dip and pack is required if you are shipping it back here to be done, so that would be on top of your taxidermy fees; if you have it done there, they don't have to dip and pack, but rather you will pay for taxidermy and shipping on a larger volume item.

One thing that I have started doing is measuring the animals and verifying that it is the same animal that I get back- I have had issues with that before. Its annoying (sarcasm) to have your 40" Gemsbok turn into a 36" Gemsbok when delivered. I don't mind if I shot a 36", but to shoot a 40, and get a 36 makes me wonder what is going on...

If you are shooting mostly culls, then the pictures are as good as anything- just remember, its Africa, and they don't do things the same as we do. Go with the flow, and enjoy it; don't expect everything to be the way you think it should be- (an african's idea of time is a very elastic concept...)

One thing that many don't realize- Kudu are of 2 different record keeping species in SA. If you are in the East Cape province, a 45" kudu is a big one. Elsewhere, over 50" is the line for a trophy. Know which one you are hunting, a 45" southern kudu is generally either a cull or immature. I also have been told that several outfitters are now charging by the inch on Kudu in South Africa. Know what you are up to before you squeeze the trigger!
crbutler

Postby Sammichman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Yes .Chris told me of a Farmer who had some Kudu on his property that were huge 60 plus but was charging a premium price to hunt them,,Chris has some close to that on his. but the older ones tend to be more elusive,,being the Rut season maybe that will bring the big boys out to chase the Ladies,,I fully trust CT Safaris I did my home work and checked him out, he has a steller reputation and is highly respected by his fellow PHs. How I picked him is a story all by itself as there were plenty of great Lodges in SA to pick from,,do you live in the Cities
Sammichman

Postby crbutler on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:23 pm

If you are talking about Chris Troskie, I have heard good things about him.

I live in Mankato, not the metro... bout an hour plus south of you...
crbutler

Postby Sammichman on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Yes Chris Troskie and CT Safaris are one in the Same..who have you hunted with and what do you hunt with
Sammichman

Postby hunterfreakhd on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Good luck when you go! I've been to Africa but not to hunt it's an amazing experience!
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby crbutler on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 pm

In SA
AAA/Serapa Safaris

In Zimbabwe
Mokore Safaris
Brian Van Blerk Safaris
Jimba Safaris
Forestry Commission

In Zambia
Muchinga Adventures
Blue Lagoon Safari Camp (Kafue Flats)
Bangwelu Swamp

In Tanzania
Bundu Safaris
Miombo Safaris
Booked this fall for Bushman Safaris

Some places were combinations on the same trip over, but that's the list (it looks bigger than it is...)- all the Zambia stuff is one trip, and some of the Zim stuff combined as well.

As far as what I hunt with, in Africa, .375 H&H for PG, .416 Rigby or .470 NE for the bigger stuff.
crbutler

Previous

Return to Hunting