Grousing about...

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Grousing about...

Postby Pat on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:18 pm

Does anybody have a hint on where we stand with this year's grouse population? I have been "up north" off an on this summer, but haven't heard much, if any, drumming back in the woods.

I can already smell my well intentioned, yet delicately Frenchified "grouse au vin" a simmerin' away! ;)
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Re: Grousing about...

Postby westberg on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Pat wrote:Does anybody have a hint on where we stand with this year's grouse population? I have been "up north" off an on this summer, but haven't heard much, if any, drumming back in the woods.

I can already smell my well intentioned, yet delicately Frenchified "grouse au vin" a simmerin' away! ;)

I have not heard anything yet, maybe I should have read the last Outdoors News more carefully. This weekend I will be up at our farm west of Sturgeon Lake (after the steel shoot) maybe I will be able to report something after that.
westberg

Postby lumbering.buffalo on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Spoke to some grouse hunters two weeks ago. The surveys say that Ruffed Grouse are substantially up. So it appears we are on uptick for a couple of years. :D
lumbering.buffalo

Postby bensdad on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:58 pm

Sorry guys. All the grouse got sick and died. They got Lyme's disease... no, bird flu... no, chicken pox. Yeah, that's it, chicken pox. Anyway, they're all gone. Don't even bother hunting grouse this fall. Stay home and watch football. Plus, you have to get that new grouse stamp. It's like $800. Yeah, just skip it. ;)

Here's the real answer: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildl ... Grouse.pdf

Looks good.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Srigs on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:26 pm

I can't wait to take a walk in the woods next weekend. Should be fun season. I will be taking lots of walks in the woods this fall. :mrgreen:
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby westberg on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Srigs wrote:I can't wait to take a walk in the woods next weekend. Should be fun season. I will be taking lots of walks in the woods this fall. :mrgreen:

The smell of the woods on a fall morning......... :D
westberg

Postby DeanC on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 am

Temps in the mid-30's this AM north of the iron range. It's almost time.

Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby nyffman on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:32 am

Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but isn't drumming part of the mating thing? If so, you'll only hear it early in the spring, not now. However, my son did go to an undisclosed location last spring and was encouraged by the amount of drumming and birds he saw/heard.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby westberg on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 am

nyffman wrote:Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but isn't drumming part of the mating thing? If so, you'll only hear it early in the spring, not now. However, my son did go to an undisclosed location last spring and was encouraged by the amount of drumming and birds he saw/heard.

Is that near Over There?
westberg

Postby nyffman on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 am

I guess I should have sworn you to secrecy. Now everyone knows. Thanks! :P
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby westberg on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:53 am

oops, sorry......... :lol:
westberg

Postby bensdad on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 am

It's funny/sad how we all think we have our secret grouse coverts/haunts, then one fall you show up to your special place and it looks like a 4-wheeler convention. Years ago I thought I had the super road north of Effie all to myself. Now, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a "biker gang" (more than 3 ATVs in a group).

Still, I'm chompin at the bit. I'll find a few new places. "Up north" is still pretty darn big.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby nyffman on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 am

actually, I'm not sure exactly where he was. somewhere around Mille Lacs, probably on the west side somewhere. About 15 or so years ago, I hunted in some of the state forest land out that way and was moderately successful in spite of my lack in experience in grouse hunting.
nyffman

Postby gunflint on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:29 am

This is my favorite time of year. I don't hunt much anymore but everyone else does and that means I have the lakes to myself. I caught about 15 walleyes today in about 3 hours before work and it just gets better until ice up. Of course after last nights frost that could be next week.
The 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment in the Bill of Rights that specifies that it shall not be infringed.
gunflint

Postby Spearhead on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:43 am

Well the season is here, anyone having any luck?

I went up opening morning to said "secret haunt" in central MN (too close to the Cities to mention :D ) In 2 hours we kicked up 7 and dropped 2 before the rain started. I'm going to head up there this weekend to check out a couple more areas. Some friends have been hunting the Aitkin area and have been seeing quite a few. We could be in for a good couple years.

BTW...Dean, the DNR states that when taking small game only one article of clothing above the waist needs to be blaze orange. Not the whole van ;)
To much devotion leads to blind devotion
Spearhead

Next

Return to Hunting