does anyone deer or bear hunt with a AR?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Postby dubya on Mon May 27, 2013 10:14 am

I'm just curious to what the general feeling is out there for people that hunt with Modern Sporting Rifles (a nice term for AR-15). I recently finished my 6.8 SPC build and my hunting buddy came to check it out and decided he wanted one too. Sold his Model 70, gave me the $900 to buy and build him a 6.8 too. I was at work on Friday talking to the guys about hunting and mentioned I'm going to try my 6.8 AR this year for deer when the top seniority guy almost yelled "why the F would you use that!?" I was a little surprised because he was worried that someone would see me, not that he's against the AR platform. He thinks that someone would make a big stink over me using an AR and ruin hunting for everyone...
I really don't agree with his thoughts as I know there are Minnesotans out there that use an AR for deer and I hunt on 500 acres of private land in Taylors Falls so unless someone were to tresspass on our land, there's a very slim chance anyone would even see me.
All opinions are welcome.

ETA: I do have other choices, I have a 30-30 lever and three Kimber bolt rifles but I want to try something different. That's MY reason for using an MSR this year.
dubya

Postby JP5EDC on Mon May 27, 2013 11:08 am

I honestly don't see the issue. From a humane standpoint if you were using a .223 I could see eyebrows being raised but 6.8 ought to be fine for deer, don't know about bears though.
JP5EDC

Re: does anyone deer or bear hunt with a AR?

Postby goalie on Mon May 27, 2013 11:22 am

JP5EDC wrote:I honestly don't see the issue. From a humane standpoint if you were using a .223 I could see eyebrows being raised but 6.8 ought to be fine for deer, don't know about bears though.

A TTSX or TSX out of a .223 going fast is lightning on deer. Through shoulder will destroy more meat than I like, but it is very effective.

The eyebrows will be raised because of the DRT surprise factor I guess.....
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby dubya on Mon May 27, 2013 11:57 am

Agreed ^ if you're sure of your shot and keep them within 100 yards a 223 with good bullet like TTSX or Accubound is plenty even for our big northern deer IF you can put the bullet where you want to.
I'm planning on loading some 95gr TTSX rounds for the 6.8, they should be pretty devastating on the deer.
dubya

Postby The Lance on Mon May 27, 2013 11:58 am

I do and I love it. Just use copper rounds instead of lead. Took down a doe last year
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby dubya on Mon May 27, 2013 12:19 pm

The Lance wrote:I do and I love it. Just use copper rounds instead of lead. Took down a doe last year

What do you think is the general feeling out there, has anyone given you a hard time?
dubya

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:59 pm

People will think you are crazy. Just remind them that plenty of people bow hunt each year and seem to do fine. Use good bullets place your shots well and you are good to go. I run a 223 loaded with 60gr Nosler Partitions when deer hunting. The combo has taken 3 deer so far, most only make it a few yards. The bullets expand well and retain about 50% weight. They do not go clean through but kind of "skid" along the skin on the other side.

On a particular hunt we had about 10 guys on a big drive. Some with 30-06 and 7mm mags. There was a lot of shooting, but only 4 deer came out. All 4 were shot with AR's, 2 by me and 2 by my uncle. More power does not equal dead deer.
Sigfan220

Postby ronin069 on Mon May 27, 2013 2:46 pm

dubya wrote:
The Lance wrote:I do and I love it. Just use copper rounds instead of lead. Took down a doe last year

What do you think is the general feeling out there, has anyone given you a hard time?

I saw an ad for an AR in a hunting magazine not too long ago. Cannot remember the brand but part of the ad was talking points if questioned about hunting with an AR. IIRC that hunting rifles are generationally influenced by military rifle technology and that in reality, "my" AR is pretty much the same as the semi you are carrying except for the fact that it can likely take more of a beating, is significantly light, and can hold more rounds! It was a good ad.
"The gun chooses you, you don't choose the gun"
- my wife
ronin069

Re: Re: does anyone deer or bear hunt with a AR?

Postby goalie on Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 pm

dubya wrote:

Private land, don't GAS.

:wink:
goalie

Postby old guy on Mon May 27, 2013 5:52 pm

I've been carrying my DPMS .308 a bit lately but I sure wouldn't carry a .223, I consider the .308 a bit light as it won't shoot through a big deer from one end to the other, heck I've recovered a 250gr .338win. mag. bullet that didn't get all the way through a 172 lb (dressed) buck.

John
old guy

Postby dubya on Mon May 27, 2013 7:03 pm

old guy wrote:I've been carrying my DPMS .308 a bit lately but I sure wouldn't carry a .223, I consider the .308 a bit light as it won't shoot through a big deer from one end to the other, heck I've recovered a 250gr .338win. mag. bullet that didn't get all the way through a 172 lb (dressed) buck.

John

308 a bit light? You're joking around I hope.... I've killed at least 5 deer with a 243 when I was a kid, then 30-30, 7-08, 338 Federal...all based on the 308 case. I'd feel plenty ready with my 6.8 SPC & 110gr Accbounds on a black bear within 100 yards to be honest.
dubya

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon May 27, 2013 7:13 pm

If it takes a 338 win mag to drop a deer you shouldn't be deer hunting. Spend a little time at the range and quit buying the Walmart bullets. A well made bullet out of just about any short action will kill a deer like a laser.
Sigfan220

Postby old guy on Mon May 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:If it takes a 338 win mag to drop a deer you shouldn't be deer hunting. Spend a little time at the range and quit buying the Walmart bullets. A well made bullet out of just about any short action will kill a deer like a laser.

Well well well, a lot of conclusions gittin jumped here. Time at the range? I jumped the buck out of his bed at 20 yds and hit him 1/2 inch to the right of his brown eye, the bullet was a sierra spitzer boattail #2600 pushed by a bunch of 4350 (Walmart indeed) the bullet didn't quite make it out the front of his chest.
I've shot deer with the .243 also and it won't do that.

John
old guy

Postby goalie on Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Deer are easy to kill. EASY.

Ya just gotta shoot 'em where it counts.

FWIW, I don't take shots I can't make or shots that might not anchor the deer. Ever. There are a few angles I would shoot a deer with my .308 or .270 that I would not take with a .223.

I've never had to shoot a deer twice with a bow, shotgun, .44mag handgun, .223, .270, 30-30, or .308. The longest I had a deer run was with the .270 on a large (>200 pounds dressed) buck that was shot through the heart and far shoulder bone. He went over 200 yards with an impressive blood trail.

For those who have not seen what the all-copper solids will do out of a small-caliber rifle on medium game like deer, well, you would be surprised. I know I was. Speed and a tough bullet = DRT.
goalie

Postby old guy on Mon May 27, 2013 8:28 pm

goalie wrote:Deer are easy to kill. EASY.

Ya just gotta shoot 'em where it counts.

FWIW, I don't take shots I can't make or shots that might not anchor the deer. Ever. There are a few angles I would shoot a deer with my .308 or .270 that I would not take with a .223.

I've never had to shoot a deer twice with a bow, shotgun, .44mag handgun, .223, .270, 30-30, or .308. The longest I had a deer run was with the .270 on a large (>200 pounds dressed) buck that was shot through the heart and far shoulder bone. He went over 200 yards with an impressive blood trail.

For those who have not seen what the all-copper solids will do out of a small-caliber rifle on medium game like deer, well, you would be surprised. I know I was. Speed and a tough bullet = DRT.

You'r pointing out just what Ive found, you shot that one right on the button but he still went 200 yds, I saw one hit like that with an 30-06 go 500yds, the big ones are harder to kill.

John
old guy

Next

Return to Hunting