South Dakota, Rosebud Reservation prairie dog

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: South Dakota, Rosebud Reservation prairie dog

Postby Lights on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:49 pm

SSBotanyBay wrote:I hafta say, Lights, I like how one of your boys has an EBR sitting next to him while shooting the H&R(?) single shot...that made my day.

He loves that little H&R in 22 hornet. It is one heck of a tack driver.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby JJ on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 am

rtwills wrote:
Lights wrote:I wish I could get a hold of Lisa to book a hunt. She never returned my phone call or replied to my email. Maybe they have all they can handle already.

Here is all three of my boy's having fun.

Same here, called her and sent e-mail....no response

It is not uncommon to go a bit between responses with them. They have multiple businesses, and Lisa does travel a fair amount. And, i know they had a couple trips scheduled for this week. Hold tight, and I am sure she will be in touch.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Large caliber for BIG prairie dog shooting

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:57 am

I drive thru that area twice a year on my way to our FCSA 1000 yard Matches. Sometimes on the way back we stop at a place just off the Rez to do some high dollar target shooting with leftover 50BMG Match Ammo on prairie pups. Since we are sighted in at 1000 yards, our shots tend to be on the long side with bets or beers getting outrageous. Bets and Beers are collected after getting to our motel for the night. Sometimes we prepare better and bring lesser calibers for less expensive FUN.

BigDog58, check it out, maybe we could arrange something for after our Labor Day Match which ends on Sunday afternoon.
OldmanFCSA

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Shooting that much in a day, it's wise to have multiple guns to let one cool down while you're heating another up.
FJ540

Postby JFettig on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Sounds like a good time but you guys need to find some good private land. I couldn't imagine paying $100 per day per person.

On my way back right now from a weekend of shooting, shot almost 1300 rounds and gave the rancher a bottle of moonshine and various liquor for the weekends worth of shooting. Add a little bowing ball mortar entertainment and those two towns won't be shot on until next year by us.

I'd encourage any of you looking to do some prairie dog hunting to do some research, find some places to go, go talk to some ranchers or people in cafe's and you shouldn't have to pay much more than a small gift for helping the ranchers exterminate those dogs. Be respectful of them and their land and they'll invite you to come back.
JFettig

Postby Lights on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:33 pm

JFettig wrote:Sounds like a good time but you guys need to find some good private land. I couldn't imagine paying $100 per day per person.

On my way back right now from a weekend of shooting, shot almost 1300 rounds and gave the rancher a bottle of moonshine and various liquor for the weekends worth of shooting. Add a little bowing ball mortar entertainment and those two towns won't be shot on until next year by us.

I'd encourage any of you looking to do some prairie dog hunting to do some research, find some places to go, go talk to some ranchers or people in cafe's and you shouldn't have to pay much more than a small gift for helping the ranchers exterminate those dogs. Be respectful of them and their land and they'll invite you to come back.

That is how I found a place to shoot them 15yrs ago. But the rancher has since past on and his kid started charging ridicules access prices. I did not have enough time to spend searching out private places this time. I will on the next trip.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby grousemaster on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Get a chance to visit Wall Drug?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby gunforhire on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Cool! I am going out to the national Grasslands and Lodgepole area again next weekend, sounds like FJ540 is coming with this year so we should have all sorts of fun :)

Video recap of last year's schutzenfest. It was so hot and dry the last weekend of July, that we didn't get as much action on towns as we wanted, so we has ourselves some fun with targets of various stripe. this year, there will be many more shooting challenges, with the possibility of some drills from the alphabet soup shooting associations, spinners, poppers, explosions(weather permitting) and more chances to try out Jim's STD's. I'll post the vid in a new thread when it is done
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby rtwills on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 am

Thank you for your interest in our guiding company. Unfortunately, we are booked for July and early August . I would recommend contacting D-N-T Guide Service-Duane Mednansky or Heinert's Guide Service-Gary Heinert.

I am sorry we cannot accommodate your party this year, but please keep us in mind for next year.

Have a great day!
Lisa
What if the Hokey Pokey really isn't what it's all about???
rtwills

Postby Lights on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:54 am

Well she got back to you. My call and email must have got lost. I tried getting a hold of her around Feb. Oh well maybe next year.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby rtwills on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Does anyone have any other contacts for dog hunting? I am looking to do my first trip this year but 500.00 a day isn't realistic to me.
What if the Hokey Pokey really isn't what it's all about???
rtwills

Postby Lights on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:14 pm

rtwills wrote:Does anyone have any other contacts for dog hunting? I am looking to do my first trip this year but 500.00 a day isn't realistic to me.

Sorry rtwills, our trip was self guided on walk-in land.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby forcefed on Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

Bump.

Getting ready to head out here in about a week. Cliff is now doing the trips full time so that means more opportunities for hunts.

Give them a call and get something set up! We will have reports after we get back.
forcefed

Previous

Return to Hunting