Ecollars for pheasant hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Ecollars for pheasant hunting

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:39 am

After 2 receiver replacements in the last 2 years, neither of which last as long as the original, and being informed that my transmitter is also broken, I have decided to ditch my Sport Dog 400. I know the 400 is a entry level unit, but I am still disappointed with the durability.

I am wonder what are you guys running on your dogs? How long have they held up, how much they get used? Are they any good in thick cat tails? I think I am looking for something I can have 2 dogs on...when my wife lets me get another dog.
Jack's My dog

Re: Ecollars for pheasant hunting

Postby grousemaster on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:48 am

Sport Dog was an issue for me to, ditched them after one season. I think Dogtra is the way to go, equal to Tri Tronics in quality yet the units are smaller and less expensive. I currently run a Dogtra 2502 (2 dogs/beepers)

I use my collars harder than most people, they go through the worst of the worst every year. Tri Tronics also hold up well over years of heavy use. Those are the only two brands I can recommend.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:58 am

I have both the Sportdog 400 and Dogtra 1900 units. The Dogtra is far and away the better unit.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the two dog model.

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:00 am

grousemaster wrote:Sport Dog was an issue for me to, ditched them after one season. I think Dogtra is the way to go, equal to Tri Tronics in quality yet the units are smaller and less expensive. I currently run a Dogtra 2502 (2 dogs/beepers)

I use my collars harder than most people, they go through the worst of the worst every year. Tri Tronics also hold up well over years of heavy use. Those are the only two brands I can recommend.

Also the brands I have been looking at. How does the dogtra transmit in the thick stuff?
Jack's My dog

Postby JJ on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 am

I run the TriTronics Flyway, and could not be happier. I run a two dog system, and have had zero issues since new in 2009. My previous Flyway lasted me over 10 years. the transmitters are a bit more bulky, but I actually prefer the larger transmitter. i Tried a Dogtra in between the two Flyways, and ended up selling it, as I had trouble keeping the smaller transmitter from getting misplaced.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby grousemaster on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 am

Jack's My dog wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Sport Dog was an issue for me to, ditched them after one season. I think Dogtra is the way to go, equal to Tri Tronics in quality yet the units are smaller and less expensive. I currently run a Dogtra 2502 (2 dogs/beepers)

Also the brands I have been looking at. How does the dogtra transmit in the thick stuff?

The Dogtra tanskmits fine in the thick stuff, maybe not quite as well as the TT, but certainly well enough...and I have setters that I like to range out 100-200 yards in the woods hunting grouse/woodcock. Only issue with the beepers, is that they tend to point down as the weight pulls them that way...then if they get packed with snow they are quieter.

Truth be told, any of these brands can have issues. I've had Dogtra and TT that had to get fixed. Both companies did so on their dime, and they're still the best available. Problem with my Dogtra was the batteries would die right away in cold weather, Dogtra replaced with newer style battery and havent had issues since.

Problem with TT I have seen twice. I had a Gen 2 field 70 that all of a sudden lost the connection from receiver to transmitter....then last fall one of my buddies brand new Pro 100 Tri Tronics models had the same issue....transmitter lost connection with receiver. These issues are the exception, not the norm. Thank goodness I always carry an extra collar unit...that being an old school Tri Tronics sport 50 that works like a swiss watch :D
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby shackleford on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 pm

I have the TriTronics upland g something or another, had for about 5 years, still works great. Should have went with the cheaper version, because I never use the beeper collar, but very happy overall. I haven't ever needed it, but ive heard their CS is fantastic as well.
shackleford

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I have a lab, and if he is out 100 yds it is because he is running a bird down a corn row, and the sport dog 400 isn't working. :roll: But I heard you need the Higher power/range to get the signal through the cattails.

I will look into your Guys suggestions thanks for the Input.
Jack's My dog

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I am not ready for summer to be over but all of this talk has me hankering for a late season pheasant hunt...especially in a snow storm. Man, I love pheasant hunting.
Jack's My dog

Postby smurfman on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:19 pm

I've run Tri-Tronics for many years. My first one had a retractable metal antennae like that found on older cars. Thsi was back when the common terminology regarding ecollars was to "burn" the dog. Things have changed a lot since then but that collar still works after 35 years. Now days it is called the Trash Breaker or at least was. In the meantime I've gone through a couple more collars including a 2 dog model.

That said, I bought some of the first TT Upland Specials to come out. These units were pretty good but had some issues with the beeper losing connectivity with the transmitter. TT switched them out but I still had some issues with the one but the other worked fine. I bought a pair of later generation units when Gander in Lakeville underwent remodeling and the one has served me without issue since. I have not used the second yet as I bought a Dogtra combo unit from a buddy who is a Dogtra rep. I am torn between the two as there are things I like and things I don't like about each. What is similar is that they are pretty tough units which survive a lot of hunting and other use. Whether the one way brush of Alaska, CRP of the Dakotas and Nebraska, cattails of MN, or scrub of Texas or Arizona as well as the marshes of Manitoba, they have survived.
smurfman

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:23 pm

have a TT G3 Sport Basic. has worked well except the charging base and the reciever stopped working (27 months in the filed) - didn't know if theyrwere charging or not and eventually ran the reciever out of juice - sent them both back and got new at no cost to me. The collar is worn by a 95lb Chessie that runs through trees not around them, so that reiceiver was in rough shape and I have to admit I hauled the charging base around more than I should have, so who knows what acutally happened but TT made it right. This unit has the ability to run 3 dogs, basic functions, good range - but the dog usually isn't more than 50 feet from me so I don't get to test that often and will penetrate brush just fine at that distance. Unless your running coon hounds, not sure what you dog is doing that it gets 200 yards away.

TT is the way to go - solid history of quality products.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby smurfman on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 pm

I had to run before I could post regarding two dog units. I do not care for them in any way, shape, or manner. Other than only needing to use one pocket to carry the transmitter I can't think of another positive. The negatives are significant in my mind.

First, having only one transmitter, you can only control one dog at a time. If both dogs are doing something you don't want them to, you have to decide which dog gets corrected first and then it may be too late for the second one. This was pounded home to me when two of my dogs went for a skunk. I had to hit the one repeatedly to get him to stop and that left the other free and clear to engage in fisticuffs with PePe LePew. That made for a wonderful ride home in the Suburban (and why I now have pickups). This also carries over into training where you may be working both dogs together and find both needing a correction at once. With 2 different transmitters correcting both is a breeze but with one you often end up correcting the one and the second is at a point where a correction will be more a negative than a positive.

Secondly, if any malfunction occurs you will be without any collar as either the transmitter went down and you are unable to send any signal or if one of the receivers went down you will be without the transmitter and both collars as you send them all off for repair. I had one transmitter take a dive into a creek while I was attempting to fly across and it quickly filled with water as the seal was damaged. It needed to be sent off for repair which could have affected my running the younger dogs.

Thirdly, having two collars means two sets of chargers so you will usually end up with at least one full set when traveling. More than once I forgot one of the charging stations at home thinking it was still in the dog bag. Having two sets means I am likely to have at least one full set of chargers as even I am not likely to forget or misplace both sets. The same can go for any damage to the chargers which I have seen happen twice- once a cord was caught ina door and sliced and the second time a dog chewed on it. If I would have had just one charging system I would have been SOL as both happened in the first couple of days of a 2 week long hunting trip.

Fourth, the cost of two units is little more than a two dog unit, especially if one already has a collar. Then the cost differential is pretty significant. Many collars allow for the addition of additional receivers which may or may not be cheaper than another collar but then you end up with old and new technology and parts mixing together and that often does not work out well as you are then limited to the weakest link. give me two collars and transmitters any day. If space and weight are a concern, I'll carry fewer rounds of ammo as I find I do not need nearly as much as I carry for a hunt.
smurfman

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 pm

smurfman wrote:I had to run before I could post regarding two dog units. I do not care for them in any way, shape, or manner. Other than only needing to use one pocket to carry the transmitter I can't think of another positive. The negatives are significant in my mind.

First, having only one transmitter, you can only control one dog at a time. If both dogs are doing something you don't want them to, you have to decide which dog gets corrected first and then it may be too late for the second one. This was pounded home to me when two of my dogs went for a skunk. I had to hit the one repeatedly to get him to stop and that left the other free and clear to engage in fisticuffs with PePe LePew. That made for a wonderful ride home in the Suburban (and why I now have pickups). This also carries over into training where you may be working both dogs together and find both needing a correction at once. With 2 different transmitters correcting both is a breeze but with one you often end up correcting the one and the second is at a point where a correction will be more a negative than a positive.

Secondly, if any malfunction occurs you will be without any collar as either the transmitter went down and you are unable to send any signal or if one of the receivers went down you will be without the transmitter and both collars as you send them all off for repair. I had one transmitter take a dive into a creek while I was attempting to fly across and it quickly filled with water as the seal was damaged. It needed to be sent off for repair which could have affected my running the younger dogs.

Thirdly, having two collars means two sets of chargers so you will usually end up with at least one full set when traveling. More than once I forgot one of the charging stations at home thinking it was still in the dog bag. Having two sets means I am likely to have at least one full set of chargers as even I am not likely to forget or misplace both sets. The same can go for any damage to the chargers which I have seen happen twice- once a cord was caught ina door and sliced and the second time a dog chewed on it. If I would have had just one charging system I would have been SOL as both happened in the first couple of days of a 2 week long hunting trip.

Fourth, the cost of two units is little more than a two dog unit, especially if one already has a collar. Then the cost differential is pretty significant. Many collars allow for the addition of additional receivers which may or may not be cheaper than another collar but then you end up with old and new technology and parts mixing together and that often does not work out well as you are then limited to the weakest link. give me two collars and transmitters any day. If space and weight are a concern, I'll carry fewer rounds of ammo as I find I do not need nearly as much as I carry for a hunt.

Interesting points to consider. I never really thought about any potential negatives. Thanks for the Insight. I have some more thinking to do.
Jack's My dog

Postby DitchDR on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:29 am

Ive been using the SportDog 800 (now discontinued) for 4 years on my German Shorthair. One year ago, the collar stopped recieving a signal except when the dog was real close. I called SportDog CS and he walked me through trouble shooting to discover that the antenna inside the revecier was broken. $45 later I had a new receiver. My collar gets used every day. My GSP needs to be ran everyday or he is just a pest in the house. I run him off leash and let him run and hunt and explore like a hunting dog wants to. I have been considering getting a beeping collar. Some of the places we go the grass gets so high that I cant see him. I dont think I would hesitate to buy another Sport Dog.
DitchDR

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 am

DitchDR wrote:Ive been using the SportDog 800 (now discontinued) for 4 years on my German Shorthair. One year ago, the collar stopped recieving a signal except when the dog was real close. I called SportDog CS and he walked me through trouble shooting to discover that the antenna inside the revecier was broken. $45 later I had a new receiver. My collar gets used every day. My GSP needs to be ran everyday or he is just a pest in the house. I run him off leash and let him run and hunt and explore like a hunting dog wants to. I have been considering getting a beeping collar. Some of the places we go the grass gets so high that I cant see him. I dont think I would hesitate to buy another Sport Dog.

I will admit that Sport dog's customer service was quite good when I had the broken receivers. They sent me one for free and I had to pay for one, both with antenna issues like yours. I am also glad to hear this has not been a re-occurring issue for you. What concerns me is that my collar wasn't getting used every day. It maybe saw 12-20 days in the field a year, which doesn't seem like that much to me. I know that for some not running the collar constantly is not a preferred practice, as they dog can get wise like my Dad's lab, but mine sees his collar come out of the hunting bag, and all he thinks is "oh boy, yep lets put that on, and go hunt"

I live in Minneapolis, so there are not a lot of convenient places to let him, run off leash. Where I do let him run, I usually have a tennis ball, which is more effective than a working ecollor with my dog.
Jack's My dog

Return to Hunting