squirrel hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

squirrel hunting

Postby ker2222 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:25 am

I've been a long time reader and lurker here, but this is my first post. I am a member of the Oakdale Gun Club, I enjoy precision shooting and comps, I hunt (although mostly in south dakota) and I am a school teacher.

I have a nephew coming of an age where I would like to get him outdoors more and into hunting. I am hoping you guys can give me some heads up on what public areas are legal for small game hunting--especially squirrels. I am not expecting anyone to give up there honeyholes, but I am having a hard time figuring out what public lands are opening to hunting. I am looking for anyting within an hour or two or three of the cities

thanks!
ker2222

Re: squirrel hunting

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:36 am

WMA, WPA, State Forest, County Land and that's just the start. You'll probably want to drive a ways from the cities to get on some good ground. There are places within 30 minutes but they get pounded pretty hard. I think it's worth the drive to go another hour or so.

Read the rule book, each type of land has it's own specific rules. Some require steel shot in shotguns , or no 22's allowed(if they are close to the cities).

The DNR has some pretty nice maps, give them a call. You may need to drive to St Paul to pick them up.
Sigfan220

Postby Heffay on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 am

Might as well get rabbits too! Squirrels for gravy, rabbits for something to put the gravy on. You can pretend you're Canadians, because they'll put gravy on ANYTHING!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Anokamnman on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:15 am

Chengwatana state forest. It's an hour north. Tons of wooded land. Plenty of squirrels.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby DitchDR on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:46 am

The DNR website has a lot of information on where to go. Heres a link.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/tips/locations.html

When you open this link select WMA and you will be able to select the county you want to go to. It will list all of the WMA's, its nearest town and directions from that town. It will also list some special regulations for this area and what game is there. Good luck.
DitchDR

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:31 am

Personally think it's easier and better hunting just to get outside of the metro and ask a farmer if you can hunt his woods. Rarely get a no for an answer, no hunting competition and usually more game since it has not been over hunted.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby FJ540 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:27 am

Inside an hour from the metro, it's too late. Season's been open a week and those WMA's are like a war zone. You need to go further out if you don't just want to walk around in the woods with a gun and not shoot anything.
FJ540

Postby spyder357 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I love squirrel hunting,like others have noted many public lands are available.

I would 110% recommend picking up a couple of these maps, I have them for the counties I hunt and they show most if not all the public lands available to hunt in your area (including several out of the way places I never knew about).

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/prim.html
spyder357

Postby oneoldjimmy on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Anyone got a few tips for a newbie tree rat hunter? Got an hour out, onto a 3000+ acre wma... Sat nice and still, quiet, not much going on in the woods other then turkey's and deer moving... Saw a couple mutters, but not near as many as the turkeys! Am I too late into the season, or is weather holding them down? Thanks!
oneoldjimmy

Postby FJ540 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:46 am

They'll be squirreling nuts away all fall, and they don't hibernate, so they're out all winter.

3 weeks ago, 1 hour was enough. Now you'll need to go further. Tree rats are $10 each on the hmong black market. They wipe them out!
FJ540

Postby oneoldjimmy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:26 am

Had I known about that black market, could have made enough money for breakfast at the little cafe yesterday!
oneoldjimmy

Postby Pezhead on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 pm

All the squirrels are in the city. Guys at work go hunting for squirrel. I look out the window and we see lots of hem running around.b of course it's not legal or would you want to eat the city ones .
I'd suggest the state forests.
Pezhead

Postby FJ540 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:34 pm

I wouldn't eat a city one either. Never know if it's last meal was rat poison or just garbage.
FJ540

Return to Hunting