Completed Adult online hunting safety tonight.

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Finished the adult online hunter safety course online course tonight. Paid my fees and printed off my certificate. Don't know if I'll hunt this fall but will look into it next year. Now I have a gf who is into it... Maybe she can teach me a thing or two. :grin:
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Irish.40 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:50 am

Just finished the online course last week. Some of it was fairly tedious. But much was informative. Glad it's done. On to hunting.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Re: Completed Adult online hunting safety tonight.

Postby engnerdan on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:58 am

My fiance just finished hers and I am working on finishing mine. But correct me if I am wrong, the online course only satisfies the classroom portion of the class. You still have to go to a DNR certified instructor and do the range portion of the test?

-Dan
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby goett047 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 am

I need to take mine. Been meaning to do it for years
goett047

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 am

Congratulations to you guys for completing the course! See you in the field.
Jack's My dog

Re: Re: Completed Adult online hunting safety tonight.

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:20 am

engnerdan wrote:My fiance just finished hers and I am working on finishing mine. But correct me if I am wrong, the online course only satisfies the classroom portion of the class. You still have to go to a DNR certified instructor and do the range portion of the test?

-Dan

They changed the requirement for the "adult" online class. You can now do the "virtual" field day in place of the actual field day.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:40 am

Is there an age limit for this course to be required? In GA, the last place I hunted, if you were older than a certain age, the course wasn't required. I am 55 (born in 1958) and just want to know if I'm required to complete this course or not? I just don't want to be surprised, if I somehow have the opportunity to get to hunt my first time in MN this year.

Thanks
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby engnerdan on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:48 am

BigDog58 wrote:Is there an age limit for this course to be required? In GA, the last place I hunted, if you were older than a certain age, the course wasn't required. I am 55 (born in 1958) and just want to know if I'm required to complete this course or not? I just don't want to be surprised, if I somehow have the opportunity to get to hunt my first time in MN this year.

Thanks

You are fine and do not need one. You have to be born after some date between 1978-1982. I think they went on a law making bender then because you can not operate a snowmobile without proper training if born after a date in there too. Not sure on boats but I think I remember a friend having to take a training class for those too when we were kids.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks Dan. Now if I can locate somewhere to hunt where I could put up my ground blind with my wheelchair in it. Then I would only need to get with 50 yds or so, which is about my walking limit, I could get in my blind and sit and hunt from my wheelchair. I would only need help if I actually took a deer. I don't think I could physically drag or field dress it by myself. I surely couldn't lift it into the back of my truck.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the surgery to fix both my hip and back within the next year. Hopefully, they'll get me back to a point where I can hunt again. I last hunted in 1999 (in GA) just before my accident. I get really down every year when hunting season approaches, because I can't go.

Besides deer, I hope to be able to hunt squirrel, rabbit, ducks (maybe geese) and one day pheasant. I never realised just how much I loved hunting (especially getting to eat the fresh game) until I wasn't able to do it any more. It's odd how much we take everything for granted, when we're healthy and able to just do it, without being limited.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby ttousi on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Born after Dec 31st 1979 need hunter safety
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:54 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Thanks Dan. Now if I can locate somewhere to hunt where I could put up my ground blind with my wheelchair in it. Then I would only need to get with 50 yds or so, which is about my walking limit, I could get in my blind and sit and hunt from my wheelchair. I would only need help if I actually took a deer. I don't think I could physically drag or field dress it by myself. I surely couldn't lift it into the back of my truck.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the surgery to fix both my hip and back within the next year. Hopefully, they'll get me back to a point where I can hunt again. I last hunted in 1999 (in GA) just before my accident. I get really down every year when hunting season approaches, because I can't go.

Besides deer, I hope to be able to hunt squirrel, rabbit, ducks (maybe geese) and one day pheasant. I never realised just how much I loved hunting (especially getting to eat the fresh game) until I wasn't able to do it any more. It's odd how much we take everything for granted, when we're healthy and able to just do it, without being limited.

BD,

You been in touch with the DNR yet? You might get to hunt from a standing motor vehicle - http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/licens ... letemp.pdf

I know where I used to duck hunt there was a "DNR duck blind" across the way that was wheelchair accessible. It is basically across the street from the Lion's Tap in Eden Prairie and can have excellent shooting if the river doesn't flood out that year. I don't know if the DNR has "helpers" that go out with you or if you can take along an able-bodied person to go chase down your ducks and maybe even hunt with you, but I would happily assist.
Mn01r6

Postby Dante on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:34 pm

ttousi wrote:Born after Dec 31st 1979 need hunter safety

And if you were born before that and did not take the hunter safety course and plan to hunt in other states you may need to take the course - many other states require it.
Dante

Postby ttousi on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Dante wrote:
ttousi wrote:Born after Dec 31st 1979 need hunter safety

And if you were born before that and did not take the hunter safety course and plan to hunt in other states you may need to take the course - many other states require it.

yup ..........Colorado ..anyone born after 1948
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Dante on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:18 am

The classes fill up very fast and when my kid took it there were several guys who had plans to go to Colorado and no safety certificate (one tried to buy himself a seat in the class).

Plan accordingly!
Dante

Return to Hunting