Your Opinions Please

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Your Opinions Please

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Your best cold weather hunting boot for those cold mornings sitting in the deer stand
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Re: Your Opinions Please

Postby grousemaster on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:47 pm

BBeckwith wrote:Your best cold weather hunting boot for those cold mornings sitting in the deer stand

I've got some Lacrosse "Ice king plus" boots that are massive but really the best for keeping feet warm. Obvious/best choice nowadays is regular hunting boots with the heated socks....less bulk and warmer feet
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby gunsmith on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm

I thought I'd google 'electrically heated boots' and sure enough....

Look, we don't want to think about those brutally cold winter days ahead either, but there's no denying that Columbia's new electrically heated apparel could take the sting out of those below-zero temperatures. Similar to the company's Bugathermo boots, its new gloves, jackets and boots pack what they call Omni-Heat Electric technology, which basically outfits the clothing with lithium polymer battery packs and a specially tailored heating system. Dubbed "on-demand" heat, you can turn on and off the heat with the touch of a button, and then adjust the level by pressing the color-changing LED-backlit button. The number / size of batteries depends on the article of clothing -- for instance, the jackets are equipped with two 15Wh batteries while each glove, as you can see up there, has a smaller capacity cell. So, how long will they keep you warm and toasty on the slopes? About six hours, says a Columbia product manager, and once out of juice you can charge them via any USB cord. Oh, and yes, you can refuel your phone or iPod using the battery pack itself -- obviously, we asked!

At its press event in New York City this week, Columbia dressed us in a Circuit Breaker Softshell jacket (yes, that's what it's called) and a pair of the Bugaglove Max Electric gloves and threw us into its Omni-Heat freezer booth -- we have to say, our arms and back stayed mighty toasty and the jacket didn't feel as heavy as we expected. The gloves, on the other hand, are bulky, though may provide some good cushioning for novice snowboarders like ourselves. Of course, that heat is gonna cost ya. The aforementioned jacket rings up at $850 and the gloves at $400. Sure, picking up a few hand and boot warmers would be cheaper, but believe us, you wouldn't look or feel nearly as cool.

I've been playing with Li-ion batteries (the kind the Prius cars run on) and they really hold a lot of power.

Columbia is an excellent brand...very expensive gear but top quality....I'm going to assume that we've crossed into the era of electrically heated clothing.

If only for the feet :)
gunsmith

Postby hunterfreakhd on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Rocky blizzard stalker. Been best for me.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby FJ540 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Fleet farm has heated insoles for 25 bucks or so, and they go on sale for 16 from time to time. I got them cheap and other than the cords being a bit of a pain for the battery packs, they were a good move.

Bread bags over your socks will also help. Basically creates the same thing as the mickey mouse army cold weather boots.
FJ540

Postby farmerj on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:02 am

for sitting?

Mickey Mouse boots. If there is snow on the ground, bunny boots.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby LePetomane on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:25 am

Keen insulated hiking or industrial boots are warm and light.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:09 am

I like these-http://www.muckbootsonline.com/arctic_winter_sport_snow_boots_p/asp000a.htm. The Neoprene helps keep the legs warm.

I also have a pair of rocky blizzard stalkers 1200grams. The keep you warm but if you have a long hike to the tree stand your feet are gonna sweat.
Jack's My dog

Your Opinions Please

Postby PhilaBOR on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:57 am

Another option: foot warmers. The kind you take out of plastic wrap and they chemically heat for several hours. We used to freeze watching ski meets til we put those in our Sorrels.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby CJB on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:29 pm

hunterfreakhd wrote:Rocky blizzard stalker. Been best for me.

+1 on the Rocky

I've got some with 1500g Thinsulate and Gore-tex construction that I absolutely love. Never cold, never sweaty.
CJB

Postby smurfman on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:26 pm

I wear a pair of Sorrel Caribou boots, 2 sizes larger than normal. I fill up the extra space with a pair of wicking socks, a pair of thick wool socks, and a pair of thin 100 gram booties. As long as I can stretch my legs out, my feet will keep warm. If I can't stretch my legs out, the blood flow is restricted and my feet get cold.

A warm stocking cap and face mask help greatly too as one loses a very large percentage of heat through the head.
smurfman

Postby cs tunes on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:45 am

Another + for the Rocky's. Spent years chasing coyotes with cold feet until I bit the bullet and bought a good pair of boots. They've been warm and rugged for the last 15 years.
cs tunes

Postby 45Badger on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Don't be a wimp. Go barefoot. It's not that cold up there 8-)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby BBeckwith on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 pm

45Badger wrote:Don't be a wimp. Go barefoot. It's not that cold up there 8-)

Shut up you :freezin:

--------------------------------------

Everyone else thanks. :D
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby 45Badger on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 pm

The love abounds............
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Next

Return to Hunting