advice on scope covers & parka/bib for deer hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

advice on scope covers & parka/bib for deer hunting

Postby gun_fan111 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 pm

All,

I am looking for advice on some gear for what I hope will be my first deer hunting season :D

My rifle came with the scope but no scope covers - are those necessary in case it starts raining and such? Do most people use the cheap ones on the string or upgrade to something like flip-ups?

For clothing, is parka going to be too warm or just right? I was looking at Gamefind Oxbow - sounded good on paper... Does anybody have experience with their products? Looks like they are out of Burnsville. http://www.joessportinggoods.com/produc ... 9849-1.htm

Thanks!
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: advice on scope covers & parka/bib for deer hunting

Postby farmerj on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:11 am

Deer hunting equipment evolves as the hunter gains experience.

Just remember. There are more deerhunters taken by a good sales exec than deer by a hunter.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby brad3579 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:02 am

I like flip covers when it is raining or snowing so that while sitting in stand it is easy to open them quietly with out much movement.
If this is not going to be your only hunt think about camo bibs and jacket. The temperature control is a lot easier when walking in and out to stand so that you do not sweat to much.
I will often carry my jacket while walking and unzip the bibs. The bibs will be warmer while sitting as the wind does not sneak up your back as much. Another thing you might want to think about is a orange shirt under your jacket in case it gets too warm and you want to shed it. (walking, tracking and gutting deer etc.)
brad3579

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:28 am

I like the neoprene "Scopecoat" cover that simply slip fits over the entire scope.. silent to remove, no hinges to break or "pop" when you flip up the lenses of scope caps, etc..

I'd suggest planning a set of layers - thermal/wicking base is key and avoiding anything cotton that will absorb sweat/water and cool you down. If you dress smart and make sure everything is waterproof, preferably windproof and, breathable you'd be surprised how little you can get away with while remaining comfortable while sitting in the wind. As the previous poster said, strip down as far as you can for the hike to your stand and if possible let yourself cool down before donning heavier layers and climbing up.

I've been moving from heavy "eskimo" sized stuff down to lighter, smaller and more efficient materials which are just as warm without the bulk (at a cost of course). Besides good clothing layers I'd suggest you also invest the $50 or so in a decent tree-stand harness (the one Menards sells is great) - much easier and more comfortable than the typical nylon strap version that comes with most stands. Because I'm also a (newbie) bowhunter I have started purchasing hunting outerwear in camo and using a packable orange vest and hat + gloves when rifle or slug hunting. I'll also mark any posting/stand spots with bright orange marking tape when I'm present.

Good luck!
yuppiejr

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 pm

yuppiejr wrote:I like the neoprene "Scopecoat" cover that simply slip fits over the entire scope.. silent to remove, no hinges to break or "pop" when you flip up the lenses of scope caps

Just ordered one - thanks!
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:05 pm

farmerj wrote:There are more deerhunters taken by a good sales exec than deer by a hunter.

So true :lol:

I do want to make sure though I buy something that will last for a few years.
gun_fan111

Postby farmerj on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Rules for cold weather hunting/hiking/observing.wildlife or whatever you want to call it.

Dress in layers. Wear wool as a base layer. It will keep you warm even when wet. I have been getting away from the poly materials just for that reason.

Make sure you have a lighter/ matches or something to start a fire.

Learn how to make a weather shelter too. Carry a space blanket too.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:08 pm

farmerj wrote:There are more deerhunters taken by a good sales exec than deer by a hunter.

So true :lol:

I do want to make sure though I buy something that will last for a few years.
gun_fan111

Postby marlin on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 pm

So, what did you end it up getting for your rifle, Tikka or Savaga ?
Which zone will you be hunting?
marlin

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:13 am

marlin wrote:So, what did you end it up getting for your rifle, Tikka or Savaga ?
Which zone will you be hunting?

Went with Savage TX because of the accutrigger. Not 100% of the zone yet but will try to stay within 3 hours of a drive from Twin Cities.
gun_fan111

Postby marlin on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 pm

30.06?
marlin

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:31 pm

marlin wrote:30.06?

Yes, got it sighted in yesterday viewtopic.php?f=52&t=47057
gun_fan111

Return to Hunting