Are you ready for Deer Opener?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Are you ready for Deer Opener?

Postby Anokamnman on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:08 am

Well I have been busting my hump most of the summer getting stands built and put in place. I got all of my gear ready a couple weeks ago. Planted food plots in the spring. Planted apple trees and Oak trees for future food sources. Got my rifle all cleaned up. And today I took my rifle to the range one more time to make sure that the scope is just right and that my handloads are still accurate. I feel like I am forgetting something but oh well.

just wanted to see if everyone else is all set up for opener. If not what do you still need to do to be ready?
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Re: Are you ready for Deer Opener?

Postby shotz90s on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:16 am

I'm all sighted in, stand is in good order, trails are showing good sign as of early september and all I have left is to pack the car and take the drive to hang out with my Dad and our friend for the weekend. I cannot express how ready I am for this. BTW, good luck to everyone and be safe.

Don't feel bad. You always forget at least one thing. Just don't forget the ammo.
shotz90s

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 am

I should have 20 rounds loaded from the last time I was out. So that just leaves picking an upper to use and sighting it in. I'll set up my stand Friday before opener. Other than that I just need to dig out all of the orange stuff.
Sigfan220

Postby Anokamnman on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Well if I do forget something... I hunt in my backyard. I have 4 stands back there. Or the other hunting property is only about 3 miles down the road. Going to go sit in my favorite stand tonight with my bow. Hoping to fill a tag this weekend.

Be safe everyone.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Stand are set, ATV trails cleared, guns sighted in, trigger time logged, feeling confident and ready. It truly is the most exciting time of the year :D
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:47 pm

yes
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Don't forget to buy your license, or you will be checked.

And yes, I did forget the bolt to my rifle once, after driving 3+ hours from home.
Hunted with my camera the first weekend, and got teased about how many deer I was able to shoot (with camera).
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:26 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Don't forget to buy your license.

That was July's task. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby FJ540 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:30 am

Still have more trees to drop before rifle season, but made a little progress yesterday.

Saw the mongo momma while doing chores on the wheeler yesterday around 2:30, and she was way further north than I'd expected and on a differen't ridge line too. Acorns are falling, but still no scrapes yet. :?
FJ540

Postby photogpat on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:51 am

Just have to make the chili.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby chopper on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:16 am

Cleaned out the deer stand (hornets), propane tank for the heater is full, camera has been out for a month and getting pictures of deer every morning and evening some in the middle of the day, some pictures of bear and coyotes, corn will be coming down next weekend if it quits raining, beans are in, cant wait should be a good year.
chopper

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:07 pm

... still working on my little towable castle in the woods, re-wired the 12v ground system in my 18 foot travel trailer to a proper ground bar and 500MA shunt so I can install a Trimetric battery & solar monitoring system. Next step is to put 2 x 100 watt solar panels on the roof and install the solar charge controller, wire it up to the battery... good to go. :)

Rifles are sighted in, picked up a couple of the Rivers Edge 13' packable ladder stands at Fleet Farm for $60 so I have a couple of options if the wind is wrong... doing my Google Map scouting of sites since we're hunting public land and may not get our first choice of locations.

Should be a good trip!
yuppiejr

Postby smurfman on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:06 pm

I am almost done, the weather this weekend kind of set me back. Between snow and fresh flights of woodcock I didn't get nearly as much done on the deer stands as I wanted.

I have to finish off the ceiling in the box blind and put up a handrail so one does not fall off the steps then that will be ready to go. A panel has to be wired back on the tripod stand- dang squirrels or maybe a bear tore it down. Then there is clearing the stand access trails of grass and saplings, the weedeater/brushcutter will make short work of that.

I would like to get in a couple of shooting lanes but I don't think I will have time to do so. Maybe just some thinning of brush and I'll have to look for a natural opening. Been doing that for years but I always worry about hitting a small twig. Why I don't know as it hasn't happened yet and my optics get better and better as time goes on.

Rifles are all sighted in, even the ones I don't plan on using. I'll get in another range session before I head out but that is just to assuage the jitters. Good luck everyone else.
smurfman

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Cleaned the roads of fallen trees in August, Checked stands and cut shooting lanes and sighted rifle last weekend. Got the camper trailer and set it today. Chili is made, Venison Roast and Pork roast are in the freezer, pulled Pork is reportedly ready to go....

Not even close to ready :o and I go on the road for work for two weeks :doh:. Really glad I take the Thursday and Friday before opener off of work. :yippee: :booyah: :goofydance:
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby 45Badger on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:45 am

BBeckwith wrote: and Pork roast are in the freezer, pulled Pork is reportedly ready to go....

Yes it is 8-) Never thought I'd be so looking forward to spending a week in a trailer :D
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Next

Return to Hunting