Are you ready for Deer Opener?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Are you ready for Deer Opener?

Postby SAM on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Everything in deer heaven is set to go------got the usual mngtalkers coming for the hunt. Camp cook is chomping at the bit to make venison stew and lasagna for the hunt. Good luck to all and stay safe. ;) ;)
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby Payne on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:54 am

Stands are ready, another blind will go up once the farmer gets his beans out. The Alaknak II tent will go up the Wed. before the season and I have the stove wood cut already. I hunt only 3 miles from my house but my son's like to keep the tenting tradition going, even though the oldest just turned 32. I have to admit, I like it as well. Gear is packed and hunting cloths have been cleaned and aired out.

The Savage Striker in .260 Remington and TC Contender in .300 Blackout are both sighted in and ready to go, just have to decide which one to take out that day, depending on which stand I choose to use.
Payne

Postby LittleWisky81 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:52 pm

I do have to say that I downloaded a hunting ap called Trackback and it works just like google earth.... but allows you to save locations of many different things: base camp, rubs, scrapes, etc along with saving pics to such waypoint.
Been using it at our cabin in northern wisc and so far is awesome. Uses gps and tracks you as you move as well.
Anyone else have this ap or use another?
LittleWisky81

Postby FJ540 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:20 pm

I use GPS Essentials instead. I can choose the icon for the marker (there are several options) and that allows for all the functionality I need while also being able to see the real-time deviation of my signal so I can determine if my marker is close enough to the feature or not before tagging it.
FJ540

Postby Spike on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Dang. Thought the topic was "Are you ready for a Beer Opener". I'll move along now.
Spike

Postby Pezhead on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Spike wrote:Dang. Thought the topic was "Are you ready for a Beer Opener". I'll move along now.

I can tell you what beer to avoid. Beer 30 Lite $9.99 for 30 cans. Yep that was money not well spent.
I actually saw someone drinking it at the gun show today.
Pezhead

Postby Spike on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Pezhead wrote:
Spike wrote:Dang. Thought the topic was "Are you ready for a Beer Opener". I'll move along now.

I can tell you what beer to avoid. Beer 30 Lite $9.99 for 30 cans. Yep that was money not well spent.
I actually saw someone drinking it at the gun show today.

About 25 years ago a "friend" of mine thought it was a good idea to buy a case of "Master Brew". Given my age, I pretty much drank anything put in front of me, NOT this stuff. We all tried one, took one sip, and tossed it out. We made him go back and get real beer!

Anyhow, to try to stay on topic, good luck hunting!
Spike

Postby DitchDR on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:28 am

I made the last minuet decision to buy a rifle from my dad that I had ben drooling over the past 17 years. The only way to get it was to sell a rifle. SO its been kind of a rush to get the new Browning BLR sighted in and get acquainted with the rifle. One of my coworkers is taking to the woods for her first time in the rifle zone, so I borrowed her my back up rifle. SO this BLR has to be ready and its is. Got my big buddy heater fired up and ready for the camper. GOt the camping gear out and ready. Ammo is bought. Now just waiting on the day.
DitchDR

Postby mrp on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 am

Spike wrote:About 25 years ago a "friend" of mine thought it was a good idea to buy a case of "Master Brew".

Meister Bräu ?

Spike wrote:Given my age, I pretty much drank anything put in front of me, NOT this stuff. We all tried one, took one sip, and tossed it out. We made him go back and get real beer!

Blatz, or Old Milwaukee?
mrp

Are you ready for Deer Opener?

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:19 am

Having sampled both in quantity I would rock The Beast before Blatz, PBR was my favorite cheap beer until hipsters ruined it and drove the price up. High Life is a good option as well.

Worst beer I have tried? Mountain Crest in the 30 can cube, nearly impossible to drink or give away...
yuppiejr

Postby Spike on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 am

mrp wrote:
Spike wrote:About 25 years ago a "friend" of mine thought it was a good idea to buy a case of "Master Brew".

Meister Bräu ?

Spike wrote:Given my age, I pretty much drank anything put in front of me, NOT this stuff. We all tried one, took one sip, and tossed it out. We made him go back and get real beer!

Blatz, or Old Milwaukee?

No. This stuff was actually called "Master Brew".

I think we made him get Michelob.
Spike

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Got a photo Text from one of the guys I hunt with of his newly constructed deerstand. We hunt private land and it affords us the opportunity to construct nice enclosed deer stands (windows, heaters, stairs etc.). I'm attempting to get details (dimensions amenities etc.) on the newest member of the chain and what its name will be.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby sochr000 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Headed to the cabin shortly, here's hoping I'm ready for opener... Triple checked that I have my license, orange, guns, and ammo, so if nothing else, I'll be legal and hunting!
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby PowderBurn14 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Everything is ready for my First deer hunt. I am way too excited for my own good..... :shock: Good luck everyone.
"A Golf Course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good Rifle Range" :)
PowderBurn14

Postby FJ540 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:15 am

Be safe and have fun!
FJ540

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting