What do you hunt?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

What do you hunt?

Postby MudDuck73 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Just wanted to know what all you guys like to hunt I like hunting everything I can most of it tastes good too! Can cook almost anything the right way and have it taste good. No relying on a grocry store for my family.
MudDuck73

Re: What do you hunt?

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:50 am

venison on the hoof.
OldmanFCSA

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:04 am

Upland birds.
mmcnx2

Postby Scratch on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:18 am

Pizza.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby LePetomane on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:55 am

In Minnesota, only paper targets. There are too many hunting accidents here. People getting mistaken for a deer while wearing blaze orange, people falling out of deer stands, etc. I don't want to be one of those statistics. In Wyoming it's Antelope and birds.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:07 am

Upland birds and ducks. Don't know if that counts as hunting but shooting prairie dogs is as much fun as you can possibly have with your pants on. I mean that.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby shotz90s on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:48 am

Deer every year. When I had more time it was alway ducks, ducks, ducks w/ a few pheasant thrown in. I miss those days.
shotz90s

Postby smurfman on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:30 pm

I hunt them all except bunnies and tree rats, its been years since I last hunted them. Might have to do a squirrel hunt one of these days, I know where I can get a color trifecta on these creatures. Otherwise, in Minnesota, its bear, deer, pheasant, prairie chickens (when I draw a permit), sharptail grouse, ruffed grouse, woodcock, snipe, rails, ducks, geese, coots, varmints, predators, and crows to name most of them. I hit the road regularly and chase these as well as other critters in other states.
smurfman

Postby Mdclinks on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:07 pm

I have to be honest I am surprised my wife puts up with my hunting season. I usually hunt or spend time preparing for hunting nearly every weekend from September to January while my wife watches the kids. I prefer waterfowl & pheasant hunting mainly due to my yellow lab. I also hunt deer, grouse and turkey. I have been kicking around the idea of predator hunting in the vermilion highlands area in Farmington as they are a little over populated and affecting the deer and pheasant population.
Mdclinks

Postby smurfman on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I forgot turkey.

I am also very fortunate as my wife not only puts up with my hunting trips from August to February but also the 2-4 bird dogs I typically have around. When I am at work it is up to her to to care for them. She also has to put up with my training her dogs to hunt- they like me better than her as I let them act like "big dogs" and run through the woods and fields. Cleaning them up afterwards is a pain but when her dogs rush me when I "ask" them to go hunting it is all worth it.
smurfman

Postby FJ540 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:08 am

Deer, coon, yotes, tree rats, bunnies, and whatever else is living in my house uninvited. :lol:

I'd like to try bear, but the lotto hasn't blessed me yet.
FJ540

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:59 am

Wanna try black bear hunting at night?
You are the bait.

I've been there, twice, its not fun, hard on underwear, and gives you nightmares for over 10 years. Killed the last bear 3 feet from me.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Jack's My dog on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Deer...4.5 days and counting till I get to head to camp. Pheasants...there are still a few out there and I haven't seem much orange in the field this year. Squirrels..if I can get my two deer this year while i have time left at camp. Where we hunt in SE MN You have a good chance to get a squirrel "grand slam" with reds, grays, blacks, and fox squirrels all hanging out under the same deer stand.
Jack's My dog

Postby SAM on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Whitetail and mule deer. Black and brown bear. Moose. Hogs. Coyotes. Timber wolves. Coon. Pheasants. Everything but the pheasants with a handgun.
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Ducks, geese, and pheasants. I wish I could hunt deer to put some more meat in the freezer but I don't have land. I went once when I was 17 and it was a lot different than ducks.
Mn01r6

Next

Return to Hunting