What'd you take deer hunting this year?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: What'd you take deer hunting this year?

Postby Synergy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Nice gun, I was thinking of doing up an AR10 for next season.
Synergy

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:25 pm

FJ540 wrote:So say you trip coming in in the dark, the next day you miss an easy shot: now what? Are you going to re-zero in camp and pretty much ruin the area for half a day?

Having a spare is just smart.

I don't bring two rifles into the field, but I will change guns depending on where I hunt. Public land offers 300+ yd shots, where my land typically won't break tripple digits (one scenario does, and it's not ideal hunting).

Thats perfectly understandable. I guess I took them as asking if I brought my shotgun with in the field.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:30 pm

I used my 700 7mmRM with Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44

Did a little spot and stalk tonight on my corn field as it was just cut this afternoon.

Held out untill the last minutes of the last day in hopes of getting a mature buck but he evaded me. Took this doe with about ten minutes of light left

Here she is in position for a texas heart shot lol

I waited for her to go broadside at a lasered 224yds and took the shot, she made it twenty or so yards before she fell just off the edge of the field. Upon inspection of the wound cavity I found that the 150gr Federal Fusion bullet failed miserably, it made it into the rib cage then fragmented and didn't exit the other side. Part of the jacket decided to wreak havoc in her guts so dressing her out was fun. Needless to say I will not be using that bullet again.

Pics of the wound cavity-

In

No out

All in all it was a fun season with lots of action, only sat one evening without seeing a deer. Now to get some blood on the new Savage ML-II Smokeless Muzzleloader in a couple weeks :shock:

Steve
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:31 pm

I loaded some 308 - 150 grain Hornady BTSP's with IMR4895, and 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with IMR4895.
Will take my AR-10A2 with incase we are infested with killer deer (not likely in wolf country in WI).

So to have fun, taking: Rem 7400 in 280Rem, AR-15 in 7.62X39, AR-10 in 7.62X51(308WIN), Ithaca 37 in 12 gage, Ruger GP100 in 357Magnum.

After viewing conditions where hunting, I will decide which to use. I haven't hunted for 6 years, but will hunt my property in Northern Wisconsin (along with all the trespassers, 80 acres private land inside a National Forest, my land not posted).
OldmanFCSA

Postby cobb on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 am

Freedom Arms model 83 in .454 Casull with a Leupold 2X scope and a Stag Arms AR in 6.8 SPC with a Nikon 2-8X scope.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:13 am

Slayer_MN1 wrote:I waited for her to go broadside at a lasered 224yds and took the shot, she made it twenty or so yards before she fell just off the edge of the field. Upon inspection of the wound cavity I found that the 150gr Federal Fusion bullet failed miserably, it made it into the rib cage then fragmented and didn't exit the other side. Part of the jacket decided to wreak havoc in her guts so dressing her out was fun. Needless to say I will not be using that bullet again.Steve

I had really good results with the cheap Prvi 139 grain PSP cup and core softpoints in my Rem700/7mm RM... I made a neck shot across a grassy field/marsh on a buck and it blew through the spine and left a nice big exit wound on the other side (not that a blood trail was necessary...). If I decided to change it up the Hornady factory ammo with their 154+ grain interbond bullets seems to review very well across their lineup and would probably be my first choice for hunting in areas with more opportunities for deflection.
yuppiejr

Postby AFTERMATH on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

I really wish I could get some nice long range shots on my grounds.

Oh, well, I'm just excited to get one this year - and my first buck! Opener night, about 30 min before sundown.
Just finished processing it - I might not go that route again.

150gr .308 Federal (the cheap one) - @ 50 yards - Went right through, but turned both lungs into jelly. The thing was DOA but still managed to run 25 yards or so leaving a trail of blood AND tissue!

Oh, what'd I carry? M14s(is there any other rifle?) and a XD .45 and a few extra mags for each - 'cause you never know.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby curteric on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:29 pm

DW 445SM, button buck at 50 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curteric

Postby mvpete on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:06 pm

My three gun AR15
Barnes 62 gr tsx over 25.5 gr of Varget
Heart shot a spike, he went 30 yards, turned the heart and lungs to hamburger
mvpete

Postby Makarov on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 am

My youngest son decided to try deer hunting while home on leave.
SS Rem 700 in 270 Win, 3x9 Burris Signature Series with 130 gr Sierra Pro Hunter handload.
His first whitetail. Adult doe at 110 yds. Collapsed where she was standing.
Makarov

Postby Garret7857 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:37 pm

My Great Grandpa's Remington Woodsmaster. I think it's the 742 30-06. Was wanting to use my dad's 25-06 but we didn't get a chance to sight it in :( .

BTW Deer are basically extinct in Itasca State Park ;)
Garret7857

Re: Re: What'd you take deer hunting this year?

Postby Mauser98 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Garret7857 wrote:My Great Grandpa's Remington Woodsmaster. I think it's the 742 30-06. Was wanting to use my dad's 25-06 but we didn't get a chance to sight it in :( .

BTW Deer are basically extinct in Itasca State Park ;)

I hunt about 10mi west of Itasca, and it was bleak. I only saw 2 doe and 2 yearlings on the first Sunday, and I hunted all 9 days of the season. Both my nephews never saw anything, but they were only up for the weekends.

I think the winter was just too hard on them in our area. We were seeing them in late April/early May in all the yards around my parents place. They were skin and bones and their hides very rough. They were browsing anything above the snow, and they didn't care about people being there, morning noon and night.

I had planned on getting a food plot planted this summer, but never got the chance. Hoping to get one planted next summer.

This has been my worst year in deer hunting. I have my muzzleloader tag already, so I'll go stare at the trees for another few weekends. :-?

Sent from somewhere in MN, ND, WI, or even SD
Mauser98

Postby photogpat on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Got a doe this evening in the snow and wind. Picture quality ain't great from the iPhone. Neck shot, 112 yds, Savage 110 in .30-06, Federal Fusion 150gr.

RobD's Savage strikes again!! :D

Photo Nov 22, 4 52 16 PM-Edit.jpg
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby smurfman on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Shot a doe last week behind the house with a slug (20 ga Remington Copper Solid) but no luck at the cabin so far. Will be hunting at a friend's tomorrow where I can face one way and shoot in MN or the other and shoot into WI. I have tags for both states and I have no qualms using my MN doe tag tomorrow.

Deer sightings have been pretty sparse in Carlton Co., a doe and fawn (3x), a lone doe (feeding in the cabin yard when I come in), and a buck last week which I couldn't get a clear shot at through the brush.

Deer numbers over the summer were pretty good but nearly everything was off the cameras and at night. The wolves took up residence nearby all summer rather than move on which really messed things up. When they are around, deer go nocturnal.
smurfman

Postby Rem700 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:23 am

Mn hunted a slug zone so used the T/C Encore 7mm08 and took a basket 8.

Now hunting Wi and using a Lyman GPR .54 muzzle loader, Saw a few does but will hold out a few more days.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting