Squirrel / Wabbit hunting?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Squirrel / Wabbit hunting?

Postby Garret7857 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 pm

So next year I want to start small game hunting for squirrels and rabbits because I've ran out of critters to eat ;) and I was wondering if you guys know of any good places to go for that around Chisago, Washington, or Isanti county. I'm thinking of Carlos Avery as my main area but I hear it's pretty popular and I would like a back up area to go to as well.
Garret7857

Re: Squirrel / Wabbit hunting?

Postby smurfman on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

I live pretty close to Carlos and can't recall seeing a rabbit or squirrel there. Even deer are pretty few and far between it seems.

I would go a bit further north and try Chengwatana which is east of Pine City. I hunted there a lot years back and usually saw squirrels, or at least signs of them, in the hardwoods. Cottontails were not as common but there were a few around. Hit the swamps and recent clear cuts once the snow falls for snowshoes. These latter are not as common as they once were but there are still a few around.

You would be better off asking permission on private lands. Many no longer hunt squirrels and will let you hunt if not too close to deer season. Rabbits can be a real pest to those with gardens and I used to shoot a lot of rabbits from porches with my pellet gun as a favor to neighbors. their numbers fell off a few years back but they seem to have made a comeback lately. The raise in scrap metal prices did not do rabbits a lot of good as many old pieces of machinery made up good homes for those wascally wabbits.
smurfman

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 pm

+1 for private. In 50 years have only had 2 refuse to let me hunt.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Garret7857 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:38 pm

LarryFlew wrote:+1 for private. In 50 years have only had 2 refuse to let me hunt.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe my brother's father in law has some some squirrels or rabbits around in his garden that he'd want taken care of :lol: .
Garret7857

Return to Hunting