Hunting Season

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Hunting Season

Postby Pat on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:14 pm

As hunting season is neigh, I am getting in touch with my inner Jack Pine Sauvage. Literally everything is making me hungry... :P

P.S. We French shouldn't be trusted around horses...

"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Re: Hunting Season

Postby Rem700 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Been way to many years since hunting bushy tails, Wish I could find a place with huntable populations, Last time out was perhaps thirty years ago near Little Falls.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Pat on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Rem700 wrote:Been way to many years since hunting bushy tails, Wish I could find a place with huntable populations, Last time out was perhaps thirty years ago near Little Falls.

I grew up on the south side of Mille Lacs, and still live there much of the year. Back in that same 30-year-ago time period, Mepps in Isle used to pay $0.15 for a squirrel tail. They made trout spinners out of them (the trout fishermen will curse me for my ignorant verbiage, but hey, I'm a walleye guy...).

Don't get me wrong; trout are very yummy. Though I'd rather have them smoked than pan fried...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Ramoel on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm

I used to hunt those gray ones when I was younger and lived in another state. We ate them for years. Here in MN we've got some nice hunting land up north but the only squirrels are those tiny red ones that like to disturb you when you're deer hunting. My yard in Eagan is full of nice fat gray's that would be quite tasty except you can't hunt in the city...
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby 45usp45 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Countless ones available here in Minneapolis.... My neighbors get cranky when they get too thick.
islam was founded by a violent child molester.
45usp45

Postby Pinnacle on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:01 pm

A couple of years ago the area staged a summer long management hunt for the little bastards - especially the red ones. The count stood at around 450-465 by end of october... And guess what - they are all back in spades... Time for another management hunt.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby monschman on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Ramoel wrote:I used to hunt those gray ones when I was younger and lived in another state. We ate them for years. Here in MN we've got some nice hunting land up north but the only squirrels are those tiny red ones that like to disturb you when you're deer hunting. My yard in Eagan is full of nice fat gray's that would be quite tasty except you can't hunt in the city...

Yeah, i got that silly rule down here in Apple Valley too, however, these are legal and silent from the bedroom window http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/ ... 490a.shtml Image
monschman

Postby Pinnacle on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Depiction of the management hunt
Attachments
andy and tom navarre.JPG
Management Hunt
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby nyffman on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 am

:lol: :lol:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:25 am

Pat wrote:As hunting season is neigh, I am getting in touch with my inner Jack Pine Sauvage.

Me too :lol:

We kicked off the fall with a couple does in the early antlerless season and then started hunting pheasants. Since then we haven't eaten any domestic meat. Venison tenderloin, pheasant in orange sauce, venison fajitas, moose burgers, pheasant in orange sauce again, venison stir fry, and a few nights of leftovers in between.

Trapping season starts on Saturday. Has anyone eaten raccoon?
Jackpine Savage

Postby cobb on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:52 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:Has anyone eaten raccoon?

Yep, use to have it years ago quite regularly. Dad would never eat a coon that was run by dogs, he said the meat was bad from being chased.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby rtk on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 pm

cobb wrote:
Jackpine Savage wrote:Has anyone eaten raccoon?

Yep, use to have it years ago quite regularly. Dad would never eat a coon that was run by dogs, he said the meat was bad from being chased.

Does anyone else hear banjo music? :P
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby nyffman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 pm

The only way I've eaten racoon is BBQ'd. And it was good. And while we're at it, go ahead and laugh, the best fowl, no, not foul, I've eaten was pigeon. Good ol' dairy farm silo pigeon. When I was a kid, that's what we shot after pheasant season ended.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby cobb on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:03 pm

nyffman wrote:...the best fowl... I've eaten was pigeon. Good ol' dairy farm silo pigeon

Yes, very good also. With a group of friends that I have hunted with for over 40 years, this was one of our first hunting trips. Jump on the bicycles and go to a neighboring farms that had barn pigeon problems, scare them out of the barn and shoot them on the fly. Our mothers fixed the birds in a variety of ways and it was one of the best memories and meals that I have had in my hunting adventures.

Now for those of you that hunt morning doves and think they are tasty, maybe you should try some good old barn pigeons.

And for those of you that harvest woodcock and think they are such a tasty bird, well there is no hope for you. I don't care if you role a woodcock in bacon and barbecue it with the best recipe available, it still taste like,,,,,well, I bet it would taste worst than raccoon poop.

So take that... :catfight:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby DeanC on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Some squab for the swab, eh?
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Next

Return to Hunting