55gr Bonded SP

95gr Fusion SP
70gr Nosler

Any advice on those?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: Coyote Hunting

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:34 am

I shot the fox in my post here with a Speer 64gr bonded sp and it made an exit about the size of a quarter, will do the same on a coyote. I'd recommend an explosive bullet with hopes of no exit for coyotes alone but if you intend to take a fox if you see it it'll be destroyed. A good soft point meant to expand but hold together is a great bet to keep fur damage down and still anchor them. I wouldn't suggest fmj's personally, unless your only targeting fox. A coyote can take a pretty good hit and keep on going.

I know there is a fur buyer near marine on the croix.
I don't know how fair he is as I haven't dealt with him.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 am

http://www.mntrappers.org/mtafurbuyers.html

Here is a list, northstar fur is the one I mentioned above.

Steve
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby Bare55 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Anyone have access to coyote hunting land? I live in western suburbs and have been to nearly every WMA past Hutchinson to get these suckers and none yet. I have hand distress calls and Foxpro E- caller and still no luck. I'm getting sick of unproductive pressured areas too close to civilization. I'm not proud. Will pay for access to better land. Anyone interested in hosting a safe and ethical hunter to help with their coyote problem let me know.
Bare55

Postby hunterfreakhd on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Bare55 wrote:Anyone have access to coyote hunting land? I live in western suburbs and have been to nearly every WMA past Hutchinson to get these suckers and none yet. I have hand distress calls and Foxpro E- caller and still no luck. I'm getting sick of unproductive pressured areas too close to civilization. I'm not proud. Will pay for access to better land. Anyone interested in hosting a safe and ethical hunter to help with their coyote problem let me know.

How long do you sit at each of your sets? Do you pay very close attention to scent control? if you're only calling for 15 minutes you're doing it wrong. Coyotes in high pressured areas will investigate a call for a long time with out exposing them selves.sit longer use softer rodent distress call(think mice) mixed with lone howls and you will increase your success.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Bare55 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:48 pm

I have been taking high ground when available in head to toe snow camo (scent off before every outing, sealed in plastic container until approach) with my back protected by cover when possible. I have been taking wind into account. Most of the time I'm snow shoeing into area, setting up, waiting 10 minutes to settle down and then start calling with rabbit distress. I will try mice as well. Thought it wouldn't be a big enough meal to make them show their face. Using custom long range AR-15 with 6-18x Luepold Mark AR glass and Primos Trigger sticks bipod rest for more open areas and my shorter/lighter AR with red dot on smaller set ups. Any help is appreciated.
Bare55

Postby Bare55 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Most of my sets have been 30+ minutes. I have been calling for 3-5 minutes on and 5 minutes of and repeat. Maybe my calling or silent or durations are off? Tips on that would be great as well.
Bare55

Postby hunterfreakhd on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Bare55 wrote:I have been taking high ground when available in head to toe snow camo (scent off before every outing, sealed in plastic container until approach) with my back protected by cover when possible. I have been taking wind into account. Most of the time I'm snow shoeing into area, setting up, waiting 10 minutes to settle down and then start calling with rabbit distress. I will try mice as well. Thought it wouldn't be a big enough meal to make them show their face. Using custom long range AR-15 with 6-18x Luepold Mark AR glass and Primos Trigger sticks bipod rest for more open areas and my shorter/lighter AR with red dot on smaller set ups. Any help is appreciated.

. 90 percent of a coyotes diet is mice. Keep the call on and soft for 45 minutes in high pressure areas.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 pm

It's very hard to pull MN coyotes out of the cover where they feel safe, I have more success getting in the thick stuff with them by far than trying to call wide open areas. A shotgun loded with T or buck works great up close.

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Previous

Return to Hunting