Anyone here hunt deer with an AR style of rifle?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Anyone here hunt deer with an AR style of rifle?

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:04 pm

MN currently has no magazine restrictions while deer hunting.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby crbutler on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:37 pm

I have hunted deer with an AR style rifle. 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39.

Wouldn't hesitate to do it with the .308 except its heavier than I like to carry while hunting (weighs more than my .416 Rigby.)

I would not do it with a .223. Can a .223 kill a deer with the right bullets? Absolutely. But using the cullers as an example is not quite right. They go in to take X deer from an overloaded area, usually with supressed night scoped rifles. Not apples to apples here.

Yes I read your article selection- they were careful about stating proper angles and shot placement. The .223 is an expert's weapon for big game. You admit you just got a gun safety certificate. Use the .338 for a few years with some downloaded ammo. Anything with a MV of under 2500 FPS you will not have lots of damaged meat. I've shot impala (smaller than a whitetail) with a .416 at under 20 yards. No issues.

Meat damage is a product of muzzle velocity, softness of the bullet, and shot placement.

Also, while it may be an unpopular thing to say, public perception is an issue, and you will not convert anyone as to how great the AR platform is by using it around folks who are already nervous about guns. Stick with a standard sporter style gun unless you are hunting private land you control so that the rest of us don't lose our access to it. ( I don't have a problem with AR's, but I have lost access to spots because of other people with them.)
crbutler

Postby Vlad on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 pm

First off, you need to know I do practice and shoot a lot* so your results may vary from mine. Like JJ, I use an AR pistol in the shotgun zone. I have been carrying this for the last 6 seasons. I have harvested 20 + deer in those years. Mine is old enough that the dies I have and use are 300/221, basically the same thing as the Whisper or AAC Blackout. I am shooting a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2275 FPS with a dot on top for optics. Where I hunt, we are in the intensive harvest area and most of my shots are up close and personal, less than 40 yards. That being said I harvested a doe this last season at 186 yards. Before you go off on me, the deer was standing broadside and I had a steady rest with no wind. I aimed at the ear and the bullet dropped 8 inches and hit the spine. As with everything, shot placement is King and Queen. I will not post pics of skinned deer as they are very graphic. If you are at the Gopher next weekend, I would be happy to talk to you and show you what I have.
If you are going the .223 route, I will echo those above and spend the money on a premium bullet and lots of time on the range. It will work so long as you do your part. ;)

(*10K of pistol and 2K of rifle/ year)
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby LittleWisky81 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:21 pm

My deer hunting rifle just so happens to be a 5.56 (.223) caliber AR platform rifle.. Does just fine. I do have a smaller frame, and gets the job done for me- may have to track the game a bit further, as the rounds are smaller, but the kick is minimal, and puts the game on the ground. Have had luck with deer, and plan on getting some hogs with it in Texas in early march.

Good luck - and no. It's not a caliber debate-- just comes down to personal preference, proper shooting skills, and the correct ammo.
LittleWisky81

Postby hunterfreakhd on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 pm

LittleWisky81 wrote:My deer hunting rifle just so happens to be a 5.56 (.223) caliber AR platform rifle.. Does just fine. I do have a smaller frame, and gets the job done for me- may have to track the game a bit further, as the rounds are smaller, but the kick is minimal, and puts the game on the ground. Have had luck with deer, and plan on getting some hogs with it in Texas in early march.

Good luck - and no. It's not a caliber debate-- just comes down to personal preference, proper shooting skills, and the correct ammo.

This is a serious question not being a smart a$$ or starting the caliber debate...For those that have shot deer with .223 were any of the deer big? Like rutted out/ 200 lbs +. I have debated using it but afraid I'd see the trophy of a life time and lose him even with a well placed shot. I've seen deer get hit in the heart with .243 and still go a half mile. A big deer that is.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby crbutler on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Serious answer.

The penetration on a .223 is if you shoot it in the right spot from a proper angle, using a good controlled expansion bullet, there is no deer that is too big for a .223... The problems are that if your angle isn't right or you are close, but not quite in the aim (think neck shot, low or really high lung shot) while the deer will die, with a small caliber slug it will go a long ways (think multiple miles potentially) and not leave much of a blood trail.

The problem is that too many folks either think they can shoot well or get a little dose of buck fever when they see a "trophy of a lifetime" and take a shot they really shouldn't.

Again, the .223 will work, but your margin for error is smaller than with a more traditional choice. Since there are better choices out there, unless you are one of a very miniscule number of folks who can't afford anything else or if you are an expert and know your limitations and abide by them, stay away from the .223.

What works well over bait in TX isn't necessarily a good choice for rutting deer in MN.
crbutler

Re: Re: Anyone here hunt deer with an AR style of rifle?

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am

hunterfreakhd wrote:
LittleWisky81 wrote:My deer hunting rifle just so happens to be a 5.56 (.223) caliber AR platform rifle.. Does just fine. I do have a smaller frame, and gets the job done for me- may have to track the game a bit further, as the rounds are smaller, but the kick is minimal, and puts the game on the ground. Have had luck with deer, and plan on getting some hogs with it in Texas in early march.

This is a serious question not being a smart a$$ or starting the caliber debate...For those that have shot deer with .223 were any of the deer big? Like rutted out/ 200 lbs +. I have debated using it but afraid I'd see the trophy of a life time and lose him even with a well placed shot. I've seen deer get hit in the heart with .243 and still go a half mile. A big deer that is.

If it was a bigger deer I wouldn't be taking the shot with .223 rem.

Sent from LG G2
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Comment from the OP's link:

After reading articles like this, I decided to give it a go because I love my stag 15. First deer I shot was with the Barnes TSX. Good clean hit. No blood. No deer. After that, I moved up to the 62 grain hog hammer TSX. Yesterday I had a deer run up to me and stop. I took the shot at 15 feet. Good hit. Deer hunched up and ran off slowly. No blood. No deer. I retired my 15 as a deer rifle after that. I'm gonna put the scope on a .30-06 and actually harvest the deer next time. I owe that to the animal and have to admit I am ashamed of myself for wasting two fine animals by using too small a bullet.

Why does this set off my BS detector?
Maybe, rather than scoping that 30'06, he should mount a bayonet on it.

Anyway, while a bigger bullet is obviously gonna do more damage, that's not a hunter's objective.
.223 is more than adequate for deer anywhere in the kill zone. It might take longer to bleed out, might run a little further, but the reality is that can happen with any bullet. I got one with a .308 last season, it didn't even flinch and bolted, despite it's lack of lungs it managed to run a little ways.
As long as it's a good enough shot to create rapid and massive blood loss the dear will expire shortly after hitting it. Heart, lungs, liver will do that. If it's a good shot, it's a good shot. If not, it doesn't matter what caliber you used - deer are pretty tough animals.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:51 pm

After doing some more research I've decided to purchase a dedicated "deer hunting" AR-15 platform rifle...

Will be putting a Stag Arms Model 7 hunter in 6.8 SPC on order with tax money. Should bridge the gap between my Armalite M15A4 5.56mm, and my Savage .338 Win Mag bolt gun.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby JJ on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:35 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote:After doing some more research I've decided to purchase a dedicated "deer hunting" AR-15 platform rifle...

Will be putting a Stag Arms Model 7 hunter in 6.8 SPC on order with tax money. Should bridge the gap between my Armalite M15A4 5.56mm, and my Savage .338 Win Mag bolt gun.

You are ordering a completely different rifle? Why not just a different upper and mags?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:58 am

JJ wrote:
PHATSPEED7x wrote:After doing some more research I've decided to purchase a dedicated "deer hunting" AR-15 platform rifle...

You are ordering a completely different rifle? Why not just a different upper and mags?

More black complete rifles The better... ;)

Sent from LG G2
PHATSPEED7x

Postby cobb on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am

PHATSPEED7x wrote: Will be putting a Stag Arms Model 7 hunter in 6.8 SPC on order with tax money.

I have the Stag Arms Model 7 Hunter and it shoots great, but a bit large as AR's go, but smaller than my AR-10. I also have a Stag Arms 6.8 SPC upper in a M4 configuration and in the northern Minnesota woods I like it a bit more. The M4 is more compact and easier to handle, especially inside a tower type stand. In my opinion the 6.8 SPC was not intended to use on deer at 300 yards, but at much closer ranges that I usually have where I hunt. So I don't think I gain anything with the model 7 Hunter and it's 20 inch barrel, so prefer the 16" in 6.8 SPC in my hunting scenarios.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:50 pm

cobb wrote:
PHATSPEED7x wrote: Will be putting a Stag Arms Model 7 hunter in 6.8 SPC on order with tax money.

I have the Stag Arms Model 7 Hunter and it shoots great, but a bit large as AR's go, but smaller than my AR-10. I also have a Stag Arms 6.8 SPC upper in a M4 configuration and in the northern Minnesota woods I like it a bit more. The M4 is more compact and easier to handle, especially inside a tower type stand. In my opinion the 6.8 SPC was not intended to use on deer at 300 yards, but at much closer ranges that I usually have where I hunt. So I don't think I gain anything with the model 7 Hunter and it's 20 inch barrel, so prefer the 16" in 6.8 SPC in my hunting scenarios.

I personally like the model 7 due to it's longer barrel and match trigger from the factory. With match ammo I'm hoping to use it as a test platform to push the 6.8 SPC to it's limits (not for hunting of course. Hunting I'll keep the shots respectable).

Sent from LG G2
PHATSPEED7x

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 am

After doing some more research I found zero local dealers who carry 6.8 SPC ammo in stock much less even heard about the caliber... people up here aren't with the modern times...

Talked with my friend and he said he just put a Smith and Wesson M&P 10 on layaway and should see it by next weekend hopefully. He said if you want a nice hard hitting MSR nothing beats the good old AR10... So I went back to looking and glad I did. I saw Windham Weaponry introduced their 308 SPR at shot show 2014. Has all the specs I'm looking for, weighs only 7.5lbs naked, and I can ordered one locally for only $1100. Will be placing my order Monday for one.

Sent from LG G2
PHATSPEED7x

Re:

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:16 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:After doing some more research I found zero local dealers who carry 6.8 SPC ammo in stock much less even heard about the caliber... people up here aren't with the modern times...

Talked with my friend and he said he just put a Smith and Wesson M&P 10 on layaway and should see it by next weekend hopefully. He said if you want a nice hard hitting MSR nothing beats the good old AR10... So I went back to looking and glad I did. I saw Windham Weaponry introduced their 308 SPR at shot show 2014. Has all the specs I'm looking for, weighs only 7.5lbs naked, and I can ordered one locally for only $1100. Will be placing my order Monday for one.

Sent from LG G2

I have purchased 6.8 at Walmart. It can be mail ordered from multiple sources. Cabelas carries it. Sure you will not find it in a holiday gas station, but it is fairly readily available.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting