Anyone here hunt deer with an AR style of rifle?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Anyone here hunt deer with an AR style of rifle?

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:53 pm

I recently got my firearms safety this last fall, but decided to hold off on the 2013 season since it was less than a month away, and I didn't have any of the proper training, nor gear for it. One of my goals for 2014 is to buy a deer hunting license and join the deer hunt community. I have several friends who hunt every year.

My question is could a AR-15 style rifle with the proper modern "hunting" round in .223 be a good choice? I read in the regulations that the firearm must be of .220 caliber or greater, and have a center fire style of ignition. Has anyone here taken a deer with an AR-15? Anyone hunt with an AR-10 (.308 Win)? Or does the bolt action still rain supreme? I do own that Savage model 111 hog hunter bolt action, but .338 win mag might be too much caliber for taking a deer at "close" range (less than 100 meters). I do plan on getting a nice piece of glass (scope) for my Armalite M15A4 special purpose rifle.

Please don't turn this thread into a caliber debate... If you have doubts about the .223 and deer hunting read this article...

http://www.americanhunter.org/blogs/223-for-deer-hunting

Edit: The Modern Sporting Rifle for those who think AR-15 is too harsh...
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Anyone here hunt deer with an AR style of rifle?

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:10 am

I have used my AR-10 in 308Win with peep sight and my AR-15 in 7.62x39 with 40mm red dot sight for deer hunting.
I did not read the article, don't like using a 223 for deer hunting, although have taken deer with 6mm using 75 grain HP shooting head shots only. Proper bullet and placing in proper location is a must, although I have seen FMJ being used wounding many deer that die somewhere else from hunters not trailing what they shot. " it didn't drop so I must have missed" attitude.
OldmanFCSA

Postby old guy on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 am

I agree with Oldman here, I have also killed many deer with the .338 Win mag.

John
old guy

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 am

Tutz and I hunt with AR pistols (but that really isn't relevant in the context of your question).

Prior to changing hunting locations, I hunted in the McGregor area. My last 7-8 years there, I was shooting a CZ in 223. As long as the area you intend to hunt is pretty cleared out, and you are careful with shot selection, 223 will do a fine job.

IMO, keep your shots under 200yd, use a quality bullet (60g Partition?) and your M4 will be fine. I used a 55 Sierra Gameking, and shot both head/neck shots, and vital shots on at least 10 deer. Never lost one, never had one go further than 20yds after the shot.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 am

While your .223 will work fine on short distance MN deer with proper shot placement, your .338 is the much better choice in my opinion. With the right load that will be lights out on deer.
Holland&Holland

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:23 am

300BLK took two deer this fall for me. Neither went out of sight after the shot (one fell over where it stood - neck/spine shot). Minimal meat damage.

You can find factory 300BLK ammo now, so a switch could be temporary or you could build another upper if you wanted.
FJ540

Postby 20mm on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:23 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:but .338 win mag might be too much caliber for taking a deer at "close" range

It's not. Goes right through them like a needle with some really bad cavitation. It wouldn't normally wreck as much meat as some yahoo shooting the deer with a .223 that fragments on impact.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:50 pm

20mm wrote:
PHATSPEED7x wrote: It wouldn't normally wreck as much meat as some yahoo shooting the deer with a .223 that fragments on impact.

:roll:

A quality bullet designed for medium game will not fragment much if at all. I have recovered a 55 Gameking that retained over 50g after a direct rib hit. On a broadside shot, most have passed thru.

When cleaning/processing, the 7Mag and 30/06's did way more unintentional meat damage than my 223.

All that said, there were times I just passed on shots, because I didnt want to risk a poor hit. I would not recommend taking quartering shots.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby 20mm on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:06 pm

JJ wrote:A quality bullet designed for medium game will not fragment much if at all.

I've seen a downed deer take 3 shots to the head with a .30-06 before it was actually dead. The person who tried to put it down probably has more dear kills than either of us combined. Maybe your .223 will just rip off a chunk of flesh when it deflects and doesn't give a killing shot. Stranger things have happened with bigger and faster bullets.

Maybe you think .25 ACP is a good caliber for self defense? Please share your wisdom.

Perhaps a good game bullet would have prevented a deer that was shot through both front legs from kangaroo hopping 300+ yards away from me. Yes I missed and shot 4 inches too low.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:17 pm

20mm wrote:
Perhaps a good game bullet would have prevented a deer that was shot through both front legs from kangaroo hopping 300+ yards away from me. Yes I missed and shot 4 inches too low.

So the solution to poor marksmanship, is a larger cartridge?

No wonder you go by 20mm :roll:

Troll hard
JJ

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:40 pm

One thing I really like about the 300blk on deer is how there's not a 5" circle of jelly around the holes.

My .25-06 put a fist sized exit wound in a doe once using a 120gr partition. Took half the heart out, ripped one lung to bits, and there was enough missing flesh that it was steaming. Deer still didn't die right away; had to put one in the head. The meat surrounding the wounds was mush and totally blood shot.
FJ540

Postby JJ on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:01 pm

FJ540 wrote:One thing I really like about the 300blk on deer is how there's not a 5" circle of jelly around the holes.

My .25-06 put a fist sized exit wound in a doe once using a 120gr partition. Took half the heart out, ripped one lung to bits, and there was enough missing flesh that it was steaming. Deer still didn't die right away; had to put one in the head. The meat surrounding the wounds was mush and totally blood shot.

I agree with you there. Somewhere along the line, the hunting community has gotten it in their head, that it takes a 7mm Loudensplitten Eargunboomer to take a 200lb deer. Yet, if you talk to guys that really kill massive amounts of deer (wildlife control contractors), they have taken more deer than all the posters left on this board with 22lr, and shot placement.
JJ

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm

JJ wrote:
FJ540 wrote:One thing I really like about the 300blk on deer is how there's not a 5" circle of jelly around the holes.

I agree with you there. Somewhere along the line, the hunting community has gotten it in their head, that it takes a 7mm Loudensplitten Eargunboomer to take a 200lb deer. Yet, if you talk to guys that really kill massive amounts of deer (wildlife control contractors), they have taken more deer than all the posters left on this board with 22lr, and shot placement.

Just as they got the impression that anything bigger than a .22 will blow up a deer leaving only red mist in its wake. Proper bullet selection and proper bullet placement will always be the best combination. I would contend though, that if it is his first time hunting deer, his .338 with the proper load will out perform his .223 if he shot a 100 deer with each and compared results.
Holland&Holland

Postby bensdad on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:16 pm

20mm wrote:Maybe you think .25 ACP is a good caliber for self defense? Please share your wisdom.

Your wife will probably grieve for a while and have a hard time eating. She'll probably loose a few pounds and work out more to deal with her depression. Then she'll meet someone new and spend some insurance money from your death on a romantic vacation with the new hubby/boyfriend. You can sleep soundly in your grave knowing you helped your grieving widow get over your tragic fate and live a healthier life.

Your default seems to be pissy sarcasm. I recognized it right away, cuz my 14yo daughter does it. Yes, I'm comparing the behavior of an adult to that of a child.

.223 will kill deer. Just be a class-act with shot placement, and use good bullets. Others have said to refrain from long-shots. Prolly a good idea. Good luck next year. Now get out there and practice.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Currently researching for a good piece of glass to mount on my AR-15. Will also get a few boxes of Fusion MSR ammo, and see how my AR-15 shoots it.

Also another question... While hunting deer is there a capacity limit on the firearm like there is with waterfowl (2 in the tube, plus one in the chamber)? I already have some low capacity AR-15 magazines on order.

I believe in 1 shot, 1 kill.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Next

Return to Hunting