DEAD OR ALIVE????

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: DEAD OR ALIVE????

Postby Pat on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Just save a nice chop for me! ;)

And congrats to Mac! Well done!!
Last edited by Pat on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby 1911fan on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:48 pm

lets see, driving rain, 40 mph gusts, sleet, then wind, Nope, nothing got shot on our trip, we have a few more tries, but it was BRUTAL on a north facing stand with a couple of hundred acres of pasture and soy bean field to let the wind get a good shot at us.

I saw several deer late at night with the binocs, but only two flags during the d ay and they were on other people's property. So no shooting this weekend.
1911fan

Postby goalie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:16 pm

We shot a couple of bucks opening morning, then played some cribbage and pool.

:mrgreen:

(And, no, I did not top last year's 10-pointer, but it was nice to be "on the board" at 0900 Saturday)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby tullibee on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 pm

I let a little one go Saturday morning. My buddy got a doe and fawn that evening. I scored a nice doe this morning...

butchering party at his place tomorrow after work!!!

good luck everyone - and PLEASE BE SAFE (I'll post more about this later...)
tullibee

Postby Vlad on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:17 pm

In our party there are 6 adults and 6 kids. Two of which are hunting for the first time this year. We harvested 9 deer on Saturday and today we tried but nothing was harvested this morning. Too damn cold. We had chili at my folks place and then proceeded to process said deer. Nothing like fresh tenderloins on the grill! The kids did a good job. Speaking for my son who was enjoying and shivering through his 3rd season, he did a good job. He saw 12 deer and did not take a shot, as he did not feel comfortable with the shots that were offered. I was very proud of him for not taking the pot shot. All and all, it was a cold but wonderful weekend. Best part it that I have the next week off so as Garth would say, “Hunt on!” Tom
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Pat on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Vlad wrote:In our party there are 6 adults and 6 kids. Two of which are hunting for the first time this year. We harvested 9 deer on Saturday and today we tried but nothing was harvested this morning. Too damn cold. We had chili at my folks place and then proceeded to process said deer. Nothing like fresh tenderloins on the grill! The kids did a good job. Speaking for my son who was enjoying and shivering through his 3rd season, he did a good job. He saw 12 deer and did not take a shot, as he did not feel comfortable with the shots that were offered. I was very proud of him for not taking the pot shot. All and all, it was a cold but wonderful weekend. Best part it that I have the next week off so as Garth would say, “Hunt on!” Tom

My congrats to your son. Not taking a shot can be tough, but it is the mark of an excellent hunter. ;)
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Rem700 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:44 am

Congrats to everyone.
Saw 15 deer on Saturday with no shots fired, Saw 9 on Su and finally shot a doe at 5:00 p.m. on Su at 230paces with the pistol, This was as close as I could get after crawling hands and knees for about 200yds and the last 200 belly crawling a field ditch line. I was hunting cut corn fields in the southern part of the state. Oh yeah we had 25mph winds on Sa and 15mph on Su.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby plblark on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks to some kind souls, I got invited to private land this year. No deer to take home but a good time in the woods and some valuable experience. It's like one guy said: "I swear deer can read!"

I also swear they can sense the guy in the lottery area without a Doe tag. Only deer I saw was a decent Doe who just meandered along in front of me between official sunset and end of legal shooting hours Saturday. I swear she was there 5-10 minutes and just posing. everything short of the glowing "shoot me here" sign I tell ya.Stood about, looked in my direction, looked over her shoulder (had me hoping for a Buck on that one) and then wandered away.

I did enjoy watching grouse, woodpeckers, beavers, and eagles in their element. I didn't see the Porcupine but it was near the cabin.

I plan to be exceedingly helpful around the house this week in hopes of a grudging "good boy, go hunting" trip Friday night / Saturday Morning Smile

To be fair, she took the young boys shopping and to the MOA while I was gone. Certainly not a picnic.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby DeanC on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:34 am

My son got his first deer about 10 minutes into the season:

And one of the other guys got this monster on Saturday evening. Has to be the biggest one we've ever gotten:

Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby monschman on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:53 pm

nice animals guys, only thing I got this weekend was motion sick up the tree when I tried to do some reading on Saturday afternoon, that wind was just awful. Before the flaming starts, I was really cold, really tired and really tired of waiting for what I knew wasn't going to happen so the book helps at those times, needless to say a gallon of vomit at the base of the tree ensured that I saw nothing on Sunday either, until I had taken down my stand, hiked with it on my back for four miles and reached the truck, where there was a mom and a fawn within 15 feet of me between me and the truck, AAARRRGGGHHHHH.

Anyways I got Savanna Portage next week so better luck there hopefully. Good luck to the rest of you guys out there.
Don
monschman

Postby DeanC on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:25 pm

My tree was swaying like a 12 foot Lund on Mille Lacs in a gale. I know exactly what you are talking about.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Vlad on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 pm

That is why the boy and I bailed out of the tree and sat on the ground. Still was wonderful not to be at work! ;)
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Rem700 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:07 am

DeanC
I bet the son was really excited, I dont know who was more excited me or my boys when they got there first deer.
Great spread on the other guys buck, From the look of the tines they look like they be related.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby sochr000 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Well, today was my first day out, and about an hour after getting into my stand I had three does come up and stand within "dive from the tree with a knife" range. I got a bit excited, started breathing a bit heavy, one doe noticed, and well, when it turned to run I got a doe :D

I plan to go back out to my land later this week and try for another.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby goalie on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:44 pm

Dead.....
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Next

Return to Hunting