Opening day less than two weeks away...

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Opening day less than two weeks away...

Postby chopper on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Went to the range with my mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and nikon scope just to double check sights even thou it shot and killed a great buck last season...
WTF the scope was all over the paper checked mounts all tight tried to adjust and it still shot all over the paper 10 to 12 inches all over when I adjusted it would shoot high and the next shot would be way low and left called Nikon from the range and talked to tech support after checking a couple things he said to mail it in for warr repair but it will not be back before season...A Big CRAP... Had to get some iron sights for the ribbed barrel to get me thru this season and will make a trip back to the range to sight in again.
chopper

Postby JJ on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:22 pm

chopper wrote:Went to the range with my mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and nikon scope just to double check sights even thou it shot and killed a great buck last season...
WTF the scope was all over the paper checked mounts all tight tried to adjust and it still shot all over the paper 10 to 12 inches all over when I adjusted it would shoot high and the next shot would be way low and left called Nikon from the range and talked to tech support after checking a couple things he said to mail it in for warr repair but it will not be back before season...A Big CRAP... Had to get some iron sights for the ribbed barrel to get me thru this season and will make a trip back to the range to sight in again.

Did you try another scope, or shot over irons before sending it off? there are a ton of things that can cause accuracy issues, and scopes seldom act that erratically. If they do malfunction causing extreme POI shifts, you will also see a visual clarity issue pop up, as the lenses themselves may come loose. Usually loss of consistent POA in a scope will be 1-3moa variance, unless there is a catastrophic internal failure (which manifests itself in other ways).

I'll tell you from firsthand experience, a large percentage of optics returned to manufacturers have nothing wrong with them.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby chopper on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:37 pm

JJ wrote:
chopper wrote:Went to the range with my mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and nikon scope just to double check sights even thou it shot and killed a great buck last season...

Did you try another scope, or shot over irons before sending it off? there are a ton of things that can cause accuracy issues, and scopes seldom act that erratically. If they do malfunction causing extreme POI shifts, you will also see a visual clarity issue pop up, as the lenses themselves may come loose. Usually loss of consistent POA in a scope will be 1-3moa variance, unless there is a catastrophic internal failure (which manifests itself in other ways).

I'll tell you from firsthand experience, a large percentage of optics returned to manufacturers have nothing wrong with them.

Sent it out this morning. I did not have any focal problems, the barrel does not have iron sights or I would of tried that last season it was dead on and the first shot was 8 in low and other shots the slug was moving on its own without adjustments and beyond belief after adjusting up and down the poi would jump low left to high right and once off the paper all of the mounts were tight. I used it on my winchester first and that thing kicked like a mad muel the mossberg was eaiser on it so I dont know if something inside snapped I was shooting off of a lead sled.
chopper

Postby photogpat on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:37 pm

You're shooting sabots through the rifled barrel and not rifled slugs, right?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby chopper on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:48 pm

photogpat wrote:You're shooting sabots through the rifled barrel and not rifled slugs, right?

Yes sabots Hornady 300gr sst thru the rifled barrel. Before the scope malfunctioned I was able to cloverleaf the shots at 100 yds.
chopper

Postby bman940 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Chopper, Let me know what Nikon CS finds out about your scope. I do freelance PR work for Nikon and have abused my shoulder with way to amny rifled slugs down range over the last 5 years. Fortunately hunting is a one shot and done deal thus far. Things do happen with scope's once in a while and I am sure Nikon's CS will take good care fo you.
A shame it happened right before the seaosn opens. Feel free to drop me a note if there's something you think I might be able to take care of for you.
bman940

Postby MJY65 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:28 am

chopper wrote:Yes sabots Hornady 300gr sst thru the rifled barrel. Before the scope malfunctioned I was able to cloverleaf the shots at 100 yds.

If you have a slug barrel/load combination that is capable of that level of accuracy on a consistent basis, I'd suggest buying a case of that ammo and a high end scope to go on the shotgun.
MJY65

Postby bman940 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 am

MJ, I have been pleasantly surprised at how accurate some of these rifled slug barrel are. One of the most accurate I have had the pleasure of shooting was a Browning 20ga auto with rifled barrel. Consistant cloverleaf and 3 inch group at 186 yards. I never considered using a 20 ga slug gun until trying out this shotgun. Very impressive.
I also agree with you on the ammo buy, I have a .300 Win that shoots Hornady 190 bullet's better then any other round. I bought 10 boxes 10 years ago. I"m so glad I did this because they are no longer made, now I wonder how long these last 30 rounds will last me?
bman940

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:49 pm

I plan on going out the second weekend of the season. First time ever deer hunting. Bought a ground blind since I don't like heights. All my rifles are sighted in. Just have to figure out which one I'm going to use.

Howa M1500 308 Winchester
Savage 111 270 Winchester
Marlin 336 30-30 Winchester
Armalite M15A4 5.56mm/.223

Shooting lane is thicker brush and longest shot will be only 75 or so yards. Didn't get a doe permit either so going to try and bag me a big old buck.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re:

Postby 45Badger on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:27 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:I plan on going out the second weekend of the season. First time ever deer hunting. Bought a ground blind since I don't like heights. All my rifles are sighted in. Just have to figure out which one I'm going to use.

Shooting lane is thicker brush and longest shot will be only 75 or so yards. Didn't get a doe permit either so going to try and bag me a big old buck.

Any of the first three will do the job efficiently and humanely. My favorite is the .308 with 165 grains of whoop-a$$.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:49 pm

PHATSPEED7x wrote:I plan on going out the second weekend of the season. First time ever deer hunting. Bought a ground blind since I don't like heights. All my rifles are sighted in. Just have to figure out which one I'm going to use.

Well this is the sentimental side, but if it is your first time hunting I'd go with the lever action :)

Old Skool hunting!
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:52 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414979419.316388.jpg

Was working in Atlanta yesterday flew in this morning and made the trek from MPLS to Owatonna to pick up camper then journey to Nickerson. I'm not sure I'll make it through Wednesday at work. Thursday can not come soon enough.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby Glenn_S on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Where in Nickerson? We will be picking up the camper and heading up Friday mid-day. We are on a new lease across the road from the Nemadji on Net Lake Road.

Packing has started...Chili made, general food provisions bought, venison chops packed ready to go...and then this walks through my back yard in Bloomington early this morning...
Attachments
MFDC1285.JPG
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby 45Badger on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:37 am

Glenn_S wrote:Where in Nickerson?

Couple miles up Jean Duluth Rd. Drop one of us a pm if you want to say hello in person.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby BBeckwith on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:48 pm

45Badger wrote:
Glenn_S wrote:Where in Nickerson?

Couple miles up Jean Duluth Rd. Drop one of us a pm if you want to say hello in person.

If right off Net Lake you are about 2-3 miles directly east of us.
BBeckwith

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting