WI AR pistol hunting regs

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

WI AR pistol hunting regs

Postby Scratch on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Let me say first off that I'm not going to hunt deer with my AR pistol. I haven't hunted in years and don't have any plans to hunt anything other than coyotes (if I get the chance)

And I know there was a thread on here about MN hunting with an AR pistol, but I'm wondering if anybody knows the definition of "handgun" for WISCONSIN hunting.

All I can find is the minimum barrel length is like 5.5". I'm wondering about overall length. Let's say using an AR pistol in .300 BLK during the shotgun and pistol season.

I know about the non permanent muzzle device not being counted, and having a short as possible extension tube could help, but I can't find the maximum overall length measurement anywhere... Is it the same as MN at 26"?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: WI AR pistol hunting regs

Postby JJ on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I was doing research for an article last year, and pinged Wisco DNR about AR pistol use. they told me most of the shotgun restrictions had been lifted. I was very specific about using an AR15 pistol that followed ATF guidelines on the definition of a pistol, rather than a "firearm"/AOW. They told me it was legal. i didn't spend much time looking at individual statutes to see if they have classifications like MN does, but a quick google search doesn't lead me to believe they do.

IANAL

Wisco DNR was very prompt in answering my reply, and my email was forwarded to a Manager of something or another, rather than answered by an incompetent intern. i would suggest quickly sending an email for clarification.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Return to Hunting