Steel shot for pheasants?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Postby Stoley_XD on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm going to a game farm in a few weeks to hunt some pheasants and they require steel shot. I have never bought or shot steal shot shells. Right now my gun is set up with and improve cylinder on the first barrel and modified on the second barrel. What size steel shot should I buy?
Stoley_XD

Re: Steel shot for pheasants?

Postby smurfman on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Far and away, my preference for steel shot is #2. #3 is a distant second choice. I don't use any other sizes, I find these to do anything I ever need.

1 1/8 oz in 2 3/4" shells or 1 1/4 oz for 3" is what I use. Speeds of 1300 fps to 1450 fps is what I buy with 1375 fps to 1450 fps being the most common. Brand is not important, Winchester, Federal, Remington, Fiocchi, Estate, Kent or whatever I have on hand or is the most inexpensive is my choice.

IC and Mod is just fine for steel of this size. Steel will pattern a little tighter than lead with these sizes, about half way to the next choke is what I generally find. The cheapest steel will often pattern a little more open, closer to what is marked on the barrels which is a reason I often use the cheapies.

Be safe, have fun.
smurfman

Re: Steel shot for pheasants?

Postby benny on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:03 pm

They probably require non toxic rather than just steel shot, but I use nothing but steel or non tox because I hunt waterfowl and Pheasants all in the same trip. If your required to use steel I would go with 4 shot as my first round backed by a couple 2 's or 3's . If your hunting wild birds that flush a long ways (40 to 50 yards ) my last round is always a BB shot.

Fast steel and black cloud are good choices but there are a lot to chose from as well.

Benny
benny

Postby Stoley_XD on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks guys! I'll take this information with me to Fleet Farm.
Stoley_XD

Return to Hunting