Looks like no more wolf hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Looks like no more wolf hunting

Postby cobb on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:04 pm

News release.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/wolves/mgmt.html

A federal judge's decision to immediately reinstate Endangered Species Act protections for gray wolves in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan place the animals under protection of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Facebook discussion.
https://www.facebook.com/mnwildlife/pos ... re_comment
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Re: Looks like no more wolf hunting

Postby Grayskies on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:31 pm

If there are more wolves and more packs and their range is larger, why put them back on the list?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby crbutler on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:41 pm

The reasoning is that USFW did not prove that the wolves are no longer threatened across the entire lower 48, which is how they originally listed them. They are locally numerous, but this judge said that the USFW must prove the entire population is OK before removing them from ESA.

Note that there are reports that this judge is hardly a "disinterested" party. Her husband reportedly runs the National Geographic society.

This can be appealed, but that will take time and money. I doubt that Dayton is interested in doing so, so it will be a group like SCI that does so.

This is the antis doing what they are best at- finding some irrelevant point and picking at it. Note that they went out of jurisdiction to judge shop on this case- it was not brought in one of the states that had delisted them.
crbutler

Postby Grayskies on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 pm

http://host.madison.com/news/local/envi ... 82f5e.html

One of the other states like Wisconsin may appeal it.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby linksep on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:54 am

To take that argument to it's logical end: Albacore Tuna is non-existent in MN, thus it must be endangered and can no longer be fished. Say goodbye to your tuna salad sandwiches.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Grayskies on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:13 am

linksep wrote:To take that argument to it's logical end: Albacore Tuna is non-existent in MN, thus it must be endangered and can no longer be fished. Say goodbye to your tuna salad sandwiches.

Would not mind, tuna just doesn't taste like it use to!

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby 45Badger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:34 am

If this gets turned around and anybody here wants to hunt wolves, please send a PM. I've got property in Nickerson that has more wolves and fewer deer than I like.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:55 am

S - shoot
S = shovel
S = shut up

No longer an issue.
Last edited by OldmanFCSA on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanFCSA

Postby chopper on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:43 am

They said on the news that people will just go back to shooting them and not saying anything..
chopper

Postby Lumpy on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:29 am

Local management may be needed, but remember that wolves are bouncing back from near-extinction in the lower 48. Genetic diversity is an issue, and keeping the wolf population culled to a barely-viable minimum would eventually cause inbreeding problems. Populations can survive bottlenecks provided they're able to reexpand afterwards- mating with second cousins for generations isn't a good idea.
Lumpy

Postby ex-LT on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:S - shoot
S = shovel
S = shut up

No longer an issue.

I cannot confirm nor deny that our hunting group (all cousins, uncles, etc) practices this method, but I agree.

A retired CO where we hunt once told one of my cousins, "I don't care if you shoot one. I just better not find out about it."

A friend of one of my uncles is dating a female CO up there. One day, they were in his deer stand, and three "government dogs" went trotting by. Afterwards, she turned to him and said "I suppose if I hadn't been here, you probably would have shot one of them." He replied, "I would have shot ALL of them."

There's no love lost up there when it comes to wolves.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby 45Badger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Ok, I'll revise my offer. If anybody wants to go camping about 2 hours north of the cities, drop a PM ;)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby bensdad on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Lumpy wrote:Local management may be needed, but remember that wolves are bouncing back from near-extinction in the lower 48. Genetic diversity is an issue, and keeping the wolf population culled to a barely-viable minimum would eventually cause inbreeding problems. Populations can survive bottlenecks provided they're able to reexpand afterwards- mating with second cousins for generations isn't a good idea.

I don't believe you are familiar with the wolf population in northern MN. To describe their MN presence as having been, "near-extinction" is just plain false.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby ex-LT on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:38 pm

bensdad wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Local management may be needed, but remember that wolves are bouncing back from near-extinction in the lower 48. Genetic diversity is an issue, and keeping the wolf population culled to a barely-viable minimum would eventually cause inbreeding problems. Populations can survive bottlenecks provided they're able to reexpand afterwards- mating with second cousins for generations isn't a good idea.

I don't believe you are familiar with the wolf population in northern MN. To describe their MN presence as having been, "near-extinction" is just plain false.

To be fair, when they were added to the endangered species list, the timber wolf population in MN was less than 400. They weren't on the verge of extinction, but I'd say that's close enough to call it "near-extinction". If protections hadn't been put into place 40 years ago, it's quite likely that the eastern gray wolf would be extinct in the lower 48. The most recent estimates put the MN wolf population over 3000 wolves - quite a success story, and definitely more than enough to be considered a "sustainable population."
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby cobb on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:19 pm

ex-LT wrote:
bensdad wrote:

To be fair, when they were added to the endangered species list, the timber wolf population in MN was less than 400. They weren't on the verge of extinction, but I'd say that's close enough to call it "near-extinction". If protections hadn't been put into place 40 years ago, it's quite likely that the eastern gray wolf would be extinct in the lower 48. The most recent estimates put the MN wolf population over 3000 wolves - quite a success story, and definitely more than enough to be considered a "sustainable population."

And they would not have migrated from Canada back into Minnesota like the illegals have been doing into Arizona from Mexico?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Next

Return to Hunting