I rarely see bucks from a stand

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

I rarely see bucks from a stand

Postby nhluke on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:21 pm

I have a stand that I have used a bunch for the last 10 years. I see a doe to buck ratio of around 35-1. This is with out subtracting when I see the same ones but just straight mark it when I see it. Does anyone else see these lopsided gender sightings? Any idea why or how to improve my odds? I'm in the habitual bucks only zone or I'd be fine with a full freezer.
Ive tried all sorts of combos of ultra still/quiet, more days in a row using this stand, less, longer days, sents,calls, minimal, blah blah blah.
I have been increasing the stalking method, but the number of does I see each year keeps me going back. Plus it's pretty.
Thanks
nhluke

Re: I rarely see bucks from a stand

Postby cobb on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Your stand location, overlooking an open field? Our best buck stands, meaning slow activity, almost no does, are on the edge of swamp areas. In Wisconsin the area are a high area between 2 swampy areas, so I guess what they call a funnel.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I can't tell you why, but I would say that you should move that stand or use it to take doe pictures from. If you want bucks you have to find out where they are and go to them. I would buy or borrow a trail cam or 3 and find out where the bucks are on the property. That's my nickels worth.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby nhluke on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for replies.

I am kinda in a low area just outside a cedar swamp where it meets pines on one side, poplars on the other.
I guess I'm just a ladies man.
nhluke

Postby goalie on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Scout. If you are not around the scraps and rubs, you are not going to be around the bucks.

I will say that your stand would probably be great during the rut though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby nhluke on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Halfway up a ridge 250 yards to my north there are rubs there every year, I've yet to see a buck during firearms season there. This area is close to the Canadian border... maybe the peak rut is later. It's usually the last week of firearms I begin to see scrapes. This may be the year to learn how to work a muzzleloader
nhluke

Postby chopper on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:38 pm

I put my camera out a few weeks before the archery season and within the first 4 days I had 127 pictures of deer the majority of them were bucks about 90%, after the season opened I started sitting in the stand not to far from the camera I have seen mostly bucks but havnt had a clear close enough shot that I wanted to shoot the crossbow I even watched a buck make a scrape about 65 yards away but when I get down out of my stand and walk out and also drive out I have kicked out alot of does that were around the standing corn. This year the deer population is way up where I hunt. My son in law also has said that he has seen more deer this year while combining than years before but the majority has been does.
chopper

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 am

Quit peeing on the outside corner of your stand. :x Or someone else's. ;)

Then move up to where the rubs occur but slightly off the trail and higher if possible. Big bucks will not skyline themselves. They will travel a ridgeline just below and stay out of sight while observing all activity below. Then try "rattling up a buck", you may be surprised when they answer your challenge. Big bucks always leave themselves an easy escape - I've watched them crawl out of a sleeping area to escape.
OldmanFCSA

Return to Hunting