Hunting with AR pistol

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Hunting with AR pistol

Postby JJ on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:25 pm

My wife and I run 1-5x24, 1.5-6x24
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby gaberelli on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:Thread Hijack-Is anyone using magnified optics on their Ar pistol for hunting? If so, what are you guys using?...The guys at APF let me shoot a few rounds through one of their pistols, and I wish I would have considered this option before I purchased my last slug gun.

Last year I had a red dot on mine. This year I used a SWFA SS 1-4x and am glad I did. The 6.8 SPC out of an 8.5" barrel is plenty good up to 150 yards but my eyes are not without help.
gaberelli

Postby goalie on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:34 am

gaberelli wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:Thread Hijack-Is anyone using magnified optics on their Ar pistol for hunting? If so, what are you guys using?...The guys at APF let me shoot a few rounds through one of their pistols, and I wish I would have considered this option before I purchased my last slug gun.

Last year I had a red dot on mine. This year I used a SWFA SS 1-4x and am glad I did. The 6.8 SPC out of an 8.5" barrel is plenty good up to 150 yards but my eyes are not without help.

They just had 100 dollars off that SWFA scope over the weekend. I have to say that I like the reticle and illumination more than I thought I would.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Hunting with AR pistol

Postby gaberelli on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:48 am

It's a good scope. Eye box tighter than I would hope for though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaberelli

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:38 pm

What barrel lengths and twist rate would you guys recommend for 300 blk pistol and super sonic rounds sufficient for deer?
Jack's My dog

Postby photogpat on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:What barrel lengths and twist rate would you guys recommend for 300 blk pistol and super sonic rounds sufficient for deer?

1:8

I enjoy 8.5 and find it shoots most accurately for me..there's no reason to run much longer than 10.5. Supersonic deer load for me is a 130gr Barnes TSX over H110.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby nhluke on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Out of the options I have, I prefer my 10.5 in barrel (1-8). I haven't compared barrels with a chronograph but the longer sight radius, theoretical increase in velocity over my shorter barrels (I get kinda nervous about short barrels and game loads), and real estate for hands/shooting rest etc is nice for hunting.

If it wasn't being used for hunting then pick out a range toy. Tiny ars are kinda fun, but I'm over the novelty. Maybe if I use it more I'll enjoy them but I'm nowhere near as accurate (way less experience is a factor) and my muscle memory sometimes wants me to put my hand to close to the muzzle.
Most of my ar pistol experience is in my basement watching hockey without a mag inserted....so consider the source.

Once you go sbr.....
nhluke

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:43 pm

nhluke wrote:
Once you go sbr.....

Amen. I get AR pistol in the shotgun zone, outside of that though... SBR all the way.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Just ordered my 300 BLK pistol. Half for future suppression, Half for less recoil then the slug gun, and half just to troll and hunt with an AR. I am looking forward to the opportunity to load the bullet, that drops the deer, that I butcher and cook.....Yes, I am aware that I ordered a gun that I should have built...saving that for a Grendel. ;)
Jack's My dog

Previous

Return to Hunting